What's going on with P&O UK with TIPPING

Calpespain

I’m fascinated by all the tipping posts. We have been on quite a number of P&O ships and I always take off the auto tips. I fail to understand the ‘tipping’ culture at all. The crew, cabin stewards, chefs, waiters etc etc should all be paid a fair wage for their work. I don’t receive tips in my profession, and I bet most other people don’t either. I object when visiting the States, because of the expectation that every bar tender, waiter, doorman , driver should receive at least a 10% tip.

We have been fortunate to be in suites on several cruises, and have had the services of a butler. I have not tipped at any time, despite them providing excellent service on all occasions. If an automatic tip was added to the initial price, then I would probably pay this and still travel, but no way am I tipping in any other way. The crew on the ship are dong their job, should be paid accordingly and it is not my job to ‘make up ‘ their wages !

Ahhh, you need to be careful talking such common sense,will get you thrown in the brig

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But tips are taken immediately. But in any case it’s still free money, for you to use as you wish whoever has given it you, so it hasn’t come directly from your pocket.

You don't get it.

You book a select package because of the benefits offered as an inducement.

This includes obc to spend on yourself.

Auto tips are added to your seapass account and is part of your bill.

I’m fascinated by all the tipping posts. We have been on quite a number of P&O ships and I always take off the auto tips. I fail to understand the ‘tipping’ culture at all. The crew, cabin stewards, chefs, waiters etc etc should all be paid a fair wage for their work. I don’t receive tips in my profession, and I bet most other people don’t either. I object when visiting the States, because of the expectation that every bar tender, waiter, doorman , driver should receive at least a 10% tip.

We have been fortunate to be in suites on several cruises, and have had the services of a butler. I have not tipped at any time, despite them providing excellent service on all occasions. If an automatic tip was added to the initial price, then I would probably pay this and still travel, but no way am I tipping in any other way. The crew on the ship are dong their job, should be paid accordingly and it is not my job to ‘make up ‘ their wages !

It shouldn't but it is accepted as part of cruising and your comments are very likely to get you flamed.

But you are not using your money, PandO are subsidising your tips

OBC is an incentive just like reduced prices,free upgrades etc so you pay for your cruise P&O subsidise nothing.

Tips and personal purchases are not subsidised at all.

The problem is that the whole cruise industry wage system is predicated on the American model, of which tips are an integral part. In the US, 20% tipping is the norm, and people in the hospitality industry have incredibly low pay rates, assuming that 20%. Clearly, cruise ships aren't quite in that category (though I note the 18% gratuities on drinks with Celebrity).

I don't like the system, but if we cancel auto-tipping we are only hitting those who work hard, not P&O. In an ideal world, there would be no tipping, and decent basic wages for all - as, for example, in New Zealand. In the mean time, I accept the auto-gratuities as part of the cruise cost, and pay it.

Stuart

Still, by taking it out of your OBC, P&O are paying your tips

I picked a cruise random, (cruise B813) off the P&O web site .

Balcony from £1113 - saver from £881= £232 (is the difference)

C1 Grade = £85 per person Max is (X2) OBC

£232 -£85 = £147 is paid more before tips.

Tips = 7 days x £6 = £42 Auto tip.

Prices can vary at times of booking or choice of cruise , so in this case and others

I would not say P&O are paying my tips via OBC if I was booking this cruise .

I used to like booking the Future cruise credit ,I gave them £50 which the then was deducted off

my cruise I booked and also gave me £50 OBC to do whatever I wish.

Never did P&O say "That's what we are taking off your tips".

The choice of how it was used was always my choice.

Oh, how I agree with the previous post. We can all be friends even though we may disagree occasionally !

I agree.

Often i have changed an opinion when someone has made a good case but sometimes if people are not open to compromise its best just to leave it and move on.

The problem is that the whole cruise industry wage system is predicated on the American model, of which tips are an integral part. In the US, 20% tipping is the norm, and people in the hospitality industry have incredibly low pay rates, assuming that 20%. Clearly, cruise ships aren't quite in that category (though I note the 18% gratuities on drinks with Celebrity).

I don't like the system, but if we cancel auto-tipping we are only hitting those who work hard, not P&O. In an ideal world, there would be no tipping, and decent basic wages for all - as, for example, in New Zealand. In the mean time, I accept the auto-gratuities as part of the cruise cost, and pay it.

Stuart

Well explained and i am in agreement with you.

I picked a cruise random, (cruise B813) off the P&O web site .

Balcony from £1113 - saver from £881= £232 (is the difference)

C1 Grade = £85 per person Max is (X2) OBC

£232 -£85 = £147 is paid more before tips.

Tips = 7 days x £6 = £42 Auto tip.

Prices can vary at times of booking or choice of cruise , so in this case and others

I would not say P&O are paying my tips via OBC if I was booking this cruise .

I used to like booking the Future cruise credit ,I gave them £50 which the then was deducted off

my cruise I booked and also gave me £50 OBC to do whatever I wish.

Never did P&O say "That's what we are taking off your tips".

The choice of how it was used was always my choice.

Great comparison and proved the point perfectly.

We all have an opinion, right or wrong. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree

I imagine most passengers will disagree with you, as others have said the nett price you pay after taking into account the add ons like tips and parking or perks like OBC or free parking, is what matters. If you study price movements you will notice the list price will, more often than not, move in correlation with the change in perks, including OBC.

So OBC is the passengers money not P&O's.

The difference is restaurants in America are in America used by Americans who accept this situation. However P&O is a British company operating from the UK and selling to UK consumers.

P&O are not doing this because it is 'traditional', they are doing it because they make bigger profits and the directors can take large pay packets. And if it doesn't work then the staff take the hit.

It’s not the tipping that bothers me, we all have a choice to do what we want. I object to being told how much I should tip, especially when a tip is seen as an optional choice. But also the fact that we are constantly told to tip to give the overworked, underpaid staff a wage I am not an employer, I am a customer

The difference is restaurants in America are in America used by Americans who accept this situation. However P&O is a British company operating from the UK and selling to UK consumers.

P&O are not doing this because it is 'traditional', they are doing it because they make bigger profits and the directors can take large pay packets. And if it doesn't work then the staff take the hit.

P&O are 100% owned by Carnival, they are a subsidiary of a US corporation and they will be judged by the profits they make in US dollars after the currency conversion.

Carnival is a joint UK/USA company.

And P&O is their British brand operated out of the UK with their product primarily aimed at British customers.

If people want to tip the staff in a British way for a job done well, absolutely fine.

However P&O should stop this nonsense with their hidden optional gratuities immediately.

It’s not the tipping that bothers me, we all have a choice to do what we want. I object to being told how much I should tip, especially when a tip is seen as an optional choice. But also the fact that we are constantly told to tip to give the overworked, underpaid staff a wage I am not an employer, I am a customer

£6pppd gratuitys is a drop in the ocean for most of us.

Most of the American lines are double that.

It is a small price to pay for the daily service we receive.

£6pppd gratuitys is a drop in the ocean for most of us.

Most of the American lines are double that.

It is a small price to pay for the daily service we receive.

Unfortunately £24 per day is not a drop in the ocean for our one 4 berth cabin.

A fortnights tips is equal to a 48" Flat Screen TV

On Celebrity the cost is over $1000 in tips alone. Definitely NOT a drop in the ocean.

That's why we tip using envelope now - make the tip match the service and not use an auto taken service charge.

Unfortunately £24 per day is not a drop in the ocean for our one 4 berth cabin.

A fortnights tips is equal to a 48" Flat Screen TV

On Celebrity the cost is over $1000 in tips alone. Definitely NOT a drop in the ocean.

Is that 4 adults or 2 adults and 2 Kids?

There is just the 2 of us but my point also was that most other cruise lines charge double that.

Unfortunately tipping is a cruise culture whether we like it or not and for the service we get i personally think we get a good deal.

Is that 4 adults or 2 adults and 2 Kids?

There is just the 2 of us but my point also was that most other cruise lines charge double that.

Unfortunately tipping is a cruise culture whether we like it or not and for the service we get i personally think we get a good deal.

P&O tips are generally £6 per person per day but this is only for passengers of thirteen years or older On most Carnival brands I think you will find even a six month old baby or two year old toddler gets charged tips at the general cabin rate. It's very inexpensive on P&O. I do not ever cancel auto tips and cannot be bothered to try to do this. Last cruise, Cunard my cabin companion daughter did not embark and I have no idea whether they charged her tips or not.

Regards John