Dining Package on Equinox

Maddyg

Hi! We are new to the cruise world so lots of questions. We have booked the Celebrity Equinox for the September sailing in a Sky Suite. I know we have access to Luminae and to Blu for dining but I was wondering if we should also purchase the dining package of 3 additional dinners for 90.00 (I think that is the price) or would that be foolish. It seem like a good deal in that the dining venues are running around 50 to 45 per person.

I guess the second question would be your reviews of the various dining venues. What is worth it and what to skip.

If you are new to cruising, keep it simple. The second time you cruise you can branch out to other venues. Have something left to look forward to

Ha! Will there be a next time!

I am interested in all the dining venues. We are cruising for 13 nights and I don't mind a little variety. I am looking for someone's opinion on the 3 day package dining program. Is it a good deal or should I just go to the different venues when I board the ship. Buy now or wait...?

We sailed the 11 day on the Equinox in 2014 and bought the 5 night pkg. Came back again last Nov in an Aqua level, dinned in Blu for the 10 day and still bought the 3 night.

Murano, Tuscan, and Silk Harvest are all outstanding. IMHO, a well spent $98.

ps: we wait till on board to buy the pkg, and have never had a problem getting the days and times we wanted.

Edited by wallie5446

I am interested in all the dining venues. We are cruising for 13 nights and I don't mind a little variety. I am looking for someone's opinion on the 3 day package dining program. Is it a good deal or should I just go to the different venues when I board the ship. Buy now or wait...?

I would wait. If you are flexible about when you want to go to a speciality, your Maitre'D can usually get you a discount. Luminae was amazing on the Summit - far better than Tuscan Grill.

IMHO. Luminae is better than any of the speciality restaurants on the Equinox.

If you want to try the speciality restaurants I would wait until you have been on board for a few days. There are often discounts of 20- 35% off. Recently we got 50% off about 2/3 of the way through the cruise.

As for Luminae, they are very accommodating. If you don't see something on the menu you like you can normally order from the MDR menu or they will modify a menu item or make some thing you like.

Just came off Eclipse dining in Blu as Aqua Class. Did a 3 night package and did enjoy the other restaurants but particularly Tuscan Grill as at stern of the ship with a great view. They were never too busy as folk seemed happy with their allocated restaurants (and you have option of Blu if you get a reservation). There were discounts.

However if/when we go again we will stick to Blu as the food and ambiance was great.

There were lunch time offering at Tuscan grill too but did not partake. On trips or fought our way through the buffet. On the last day found the healthy option in the solarium which was what we needed after a fortnight of excess.

We don't dislike Luminae but we do find the choices quite limited and we do still prefer the specialities. Tuscan Grill with its amazing view is great to book for an evening sail away...we love to see a port slowly disappear into the distance. Murano's is our favourite for food and service. Make sure you order something that is prepared table side to add a little theatre to your dining experience. Silk Harvest is more of a 'family dining' experience, a great venue to go to with friends. They do a range of 'small plates' and 'large plates' if just two of you are dining go for several small plates to share for greater variety.

On boarding we always ask the Michael's Club host for the menus for Luminae which she will print off for us. We will then dine in Luminae on days we like the menu choices and book the specialities on other days. Much as on some cruises the specialities can be easy to book we have been on others where guests have waited until towards the end of the cruise to book Murano's and then found it has been full. So if you wait until boarding to sort make sure you then get organised!

I would also suggest you avoid booking specialities on days when you have had long excursions, they can be longer meals and you do want to be able to savour them.

Have a great cruise! We have been on Equinox twice and loved her.

Hi! We are new to the cruise world so lots of questions. We have booked the Celebrity Equinox for the September sailing in a Sky Suite. I know we have access to Luminae and to Blu for dining but I was wondering if we should also purchase the dining package of 3 additional dinners for 90.00 (I think that is the price) or would that be foolish. It seem like a good deal in that the dining venues are running around 50 to 45 per person.

I guess the second question would be your reviews of the various dining venues. What is worth it and what to skip.

A couple of things.

First, look at the actual discount provided, A lot of times, discounts are offered on ship if sales are lagging in a specific restaurant (although Equinox only has three venue as opposed to the 4 on newer S class ships). But, I've gotten good discounts on embarkation night and I have heard that port overnights also can be good for a discount.

As to what is worth it, that all depends on you. I truly enjoy Murano as an excellent place for a quiet romantic dinner. Tuscan Grill has good food but what makes it special is the view, particularly if you have a window table. I've never eaten at Silk Harvest, but I've heard it is high class Asian. Just remember that the three night package will be one meal in each restaurant.

I think you can actually do just as well while onboard. There are usually fabulous discounts offered on the specialty restaurants depending on how well they are booked up.

The 3 dinner package, which is approx $100 per person, includes one meal at Silk Harvest, one at the Tuscan Grille and one at Murano.

I absolutely love Silk Harvest and Murano is my second favorite. Tuscan Grille is good but nothing for which I would ever pay full price. It seems like once you've eaten there, even at a discount, they seem to offer you another meal there with the same discount.

I have done the packages a few times but the only thing I don't care for is that the reservations oftentimes (not always) need to be made at the beginning of the cruise. To me, that sort of defeats the purpose of Select Dining ... in my opinion.

Our last cruise was on the Equinox, we were offered a really good discount at Silk Harvest and offered a free meal at Murano as well as two meals at the Tuscan Grille. There would have been no time to use our package ... mostly because we just loved the people at our dinner table in the MDR.

If you are asking ... I would take the wait and see attitude. You can still purchase the package once onboard if you don't think the specials are to your liking.

I think you can actually do just as well while onboard. There are usually fabulous discounts offered on the specialty restaurants depending on how well they are booked up.

The 3 dinner package, which is approx $100 per person, includes one meal at Silk Harvest, one at the Tuscan Grille and one at Murano.

I absolutely love Silk Harvest and Murano is my second favorite. Tuscan Grille is good but nothing for which I would ever pay full price. It seems like once you've eaten there, even at a discount, they seem to offer you another meal there with the same discount.

I have done the packages a few times but the only thing I don't care for is that the reservations oftentimes (not always) need to be made at the beginning of the cruise. To me, that sort of defeats the purpose of Select Dining ... in my opinion.

Our last cruise was on the Equinox, we were offered a really good discount at Silk Harvest and offered a free meal at Murano as well as two meals at the Tuscan Grille. There would have been no time to use our package ... mostly because we just loved the people at our dinner table in the MDR.

If you are asking ... I would take the wait and see attitude. You can still purchase the package once onboard if you don't think the specials are to your liking.

So is it 200 dollars for the three nights? So 70 extra per night approx?

So is it 200 dollars for the three nights? So 70 extra per night approx?

Afraid so! Once or twice is enough for us and we wouldn't really pay for the Tuscan Grille (just not my thing) ... so we no longer book the packages.

I think all of the advice from our fellow cruisers is wonderful, and I hope it helps you make the best decision for your cruise.

I am guilty of always going overboard, so take this with a grain of salt.

I am of the school of thought that goes like this:

a. I always book the ultimate dining package. Why? It is a personal choice for me, and not for everybody. I like the freedom to submit to my whim at the moment and not having to worry about the consequences of my decision at the end of my cruise when I get the bill.

b. I always book the Premium Drink package with Celebrity also. Why? See above.

For me, the only reason I do this is because I generally book my trips way out in advance and have them paid for long before I cruise. This gives me the ability to spend other ways while cruising. For example, I attend art auctions, and I have spent an embarrassing amount on art while cruising. Again, because I wanted to and not because it is an investment ((separate discussion altogether)). I also like to gamble while on board. I also like to go on excursions.

The bottom line is this. I always spend a good deal more than many people do while vacationing, and I am unapologetic about it. But, for ME (again, it's just me), I never want to think about my food or alcohol choices as it relates to how I am spending money.

It is definitely a very personal decision that is different for everybody, so please do not take my personal experience as some sort of instruction. To each their own, and whatever decision you make........have fun.

btw, if I seem to be tentative in my post........I know that there are usually those who criticize people for posting opinions, and I try not to judge what anybody does with their lives. To each their own!

Peace and enjoy!

Thank you all! I especially liked the tip to do specialty dining on sailing days. I don't think our cruise ship is full. We are sailing September 7th on the Mediterranean cruise that was suppose to start in Instanbul but was later switched to Athens as the starting port. So it might make sense to wait and see what is available.

I think all of the advice from our fellow cruisers is wonderful, and I hope it helps you make the best decision for your cruise.

I am guilty of always going overboard, so take this with a grain of salt.

I am of the school of thought that goes like this:

a. I always book the ultimate dining package. Why? It is a personal choice for me, and not for everybody. I like the freedom to submit to my whim at the moment and not having to worry about the consequences of my decision at the end of my cruise when I get the bill.

b. I always book the Premium Drink package with Celebrity also. Why? See above.

For me, the only reason I do this is because I generally book my trips way out in advance and have them paid for long before I cruise. This gives me the ability to spend other ways while cruising. For example, I attend art auctions, and I have spent an embarrassing amount on art while cruising. Again, because I wanted to and not because it is an investment ((separate discussion altogether)). I also like to gamble while on board. I also like to go on excursions.

The bottom line is this. I always spend a good deal more than many people do while vacationing, and I am unapologetic about it. But, for ME (again, it's just me), I never want to think about my food or alcohol choices as it relates to how I am spending money.

It is definitely a very personal decision that is different for everybody, so please do not take my personal experience as some sort of instruction. To each their own, and whatever decision you make........have fun.

btw, if I seem to be tentative in my post........I know that there are usually those who criticize people for posting opinions, and I try not to judge what anybody does with their lives. To each their own!

Peace and enjoy!

You are so me!!!! Perfect advice.

• 1 year later...
I made my final payment for the Nov 16th Equinox cruise and I was informed that NO specialty dining packages would be available to purchase since this is a "holiday cruise". Isn't every cruise, in fact, a holiday for guests, and isn't this a bit arbitrary?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Forums mobile app

Odd, you would think they would be glad to get some secured bookings....I am sure you will manage to sort once on board. Hope you have a great cruise!

If you are new to cruising, keep it simple. The second time you cruise you can branch out to other venues. Have something left to look forward to

Same advice I would give. We have sailed many times on X and have yet to do any dining in a "specialty" restaurant.

Sailing in a suite gives you access to both Luminae and Blu. The menus change daily and there are too many things to try in both.

I know that many like to dine in those extra restaurants as they feel that it makes them special. I guess that is why that they are referred to as specialty restaurants. If you feel that you need to do that to feel special than do it. Personally having a suite with all of the perks would make me feel special.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

That is delightful for you!. I am not in a suite, I am in Concierge Class , cabin 2112. I dined in the specialty restaurants exclusively on my last sailing, and wanted to do it again this time. It was a significant cost savings. Congratulations on the suite. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Forums mobile app

• 6 months later...

Was totally thrown reading this thread LOL. This was asked in 2016 and looks like they sailed Sept 2016 so definitely a blast from the past. Some of this info might be a bit stale ...

Maddyg ... I hope you had a great cruise and feel free to come back and speak to what you ended up deciding and how it worked out for you. :cool::cool: