Guarantee booking on a full ship

crisp1

Our cruise is in 9 days- we booked a BD gty and still have not been assigned a cabin. The only outside cabins still showing as available are 2 mini suites- yet P is still taking balcony gty bookings. What is up with that?

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Princess will put you in the category you booked or higher. Unlike airlines, they do not involuntarily bump or downgrade passengers.

They will be trying to sell all of their cabins. Then they will be offering some people upsells to higher categories. They will provide upgrades if they need to, but they prefer using paid upsells instead.

For the popular itineraries, they may overbook the cabins on the ship but Princess has 'move over' offers for those that are willing to move their cruise to a different sailing to make room for those overbooked cabins. Many people are willing to take the move over offers as Princess makes it very attractive. I am hoping for one some day as we are very near an embarkation port and are both retired. Alas, we've never gotten one of these offers ... but would jump on it if we did. So, win win for the passengers that accept the offer, win win for the passengers that have booked on an oversold cruise and win win for Princess as they have happy customers.

I'm booked on the Ruby for a 5 night cruise for Feb 26 and still do not have a guarantee assignment.Yesterday there were several cabins available and today none.TA checked with Princess and said it is now in inventory control so apparently they are sold out and will assign the guarantees.They said it could be as late as when you get to the pier.Hope not.

I'm booked on the Ruby for a 5 night cruise for Feb 26 and still do not have a guarantee assignment.Yesterday there were several cabins available and today none.TA checked with Princess and said it is now in inventory control so apparently they are sold out and will assign the guarantees.They said it could be as late as when you get to the pier.Hope not.

I just heard about the 'Move Over' and see how it's a win- win. I've been looking at the available cabins for the last week- many aren't a big upgrade. I know I will at least get a BD, I would like to print out my luggage tags with a cabin number on them:cool:

I just heard about the 'Move Over' and see how it's a win- win. I've been looking at the available cabins for the last week- many aren't a big upgrade. I know I will at least get a BD, I would like to print out my luggage tags with a cabin number on them:cool:

If you learn your upgrade at port, you can take a pen and write in your cabin number. This is what the porter will do if you do not. If you show up without a cabin number, he will look up your name on his list. We've learned our cabin number twice in this way. (you don't learn it at check in; you learn it at port entry security or from the porter).

If you learn your upgrade at port' date=' you can take a pen and write in your cabin number. This is what the porter will do if you do not. If you show up without a cabin number, he will look up your name on his list. We've learned our cabin number twice in this way. (you don't learn it at check in; you learn it at port entry security or from the porter).[/quote']

Actually the information is available before you get to the port. It is just that most people do not check the web site at the last minute before leaving home/hotel to check in.

I once left for a cruise the day before embarkation without my GTY having been assigned. If I had not checked further, I would have learned about it at the port terminal. However, when I phoned Princess upon arriving at LAX 22 hours before embarkation, they were able to tell me the cabin assignment. When I reached the hotel I printed out the luggage tags.

Good point. I had one that when I called my TA on the day before embarkation, she said that there was no assigned cabin yet. I didn't look or try again till we got to the terminal security check in area (not the one where they screen luggage, but the one where they must see your ID before you can go further), and they showed the new number. Thinking back, I don't remember this security station on my two most recent cruises, but they were different ports. Maybe this station only exists at certain ports.

We used to book "guarantee" all the time. We fully accepted that cabin category in exchange of price break. While we usually got an "upgrade" it was location only, nothing major. Larger T/A's reserve blocks of cabins hoping for sell out so potential pax have to go to them. While Princess knows what hasn't sold, they are not in a position to sell. As cabins are released back to Princess, they attempt to sell or up-sell so they earn more money for company. The physical reason for "upgrades is to "telescope" occupied cabins together to force all vacant cabins to the lowest category.

We used to book "guarantee" all the time. We fully accepted that cabin category in exchange of price break. While we usually got an "upgrade" it was location only, nothing major. Larger T/A's reserve blocks of cabins hoping for sell out so potential pax have to go to them. While Princess knows what hasn't sold, they are not in a position to sell. As cabins are released back to Princess, they attempt to sell or up-sell so they earn more money for company. The physical reason for "upgrades is to "telescope" occupied cabins together to force all vacant cabins to the lowest category.

TA's actually hold "allotments" of categories , not the actual cabins numbers , in their speculative groups .

Sent from my iPad using Forums