Need help with FLL lodging

missingtn

My husband, 4 kids, 2 of the kids friends and I are planning on sailing out of FLL Jan 6, 2017. We are flying in the day before from Anchorage, AK. I need to know about hotels that have transportation from the airport and transportation to the port....anyone have any recommendations? I would love for it to be close to a beach/easy beach access and close to dining options.

This will be our first time on RC and I am sure I will have tons of questions. We have always sailed DCL, but we have all decided we want to try put RC!

Ramada Inn: Budget hotel with free shuttle to/from airport/Cruise Terminal and free breakfast!

http://www.ramada.com/hotels/florida/fort-lauderdale/ramada-fort-lauderdale-airport-cruise-port/hotel-overview

I've stayed at the Hyatt Place 17th St. They have a free airport shuttle and shuttle to the port which is about $7 pp. You can also leave your car at the hotel for at a rate of $7 per day.

Depending on when you're going you may find good deals through valuetrips.com

This is where we always stay. Love the location of the grocery store across the street for things we may have forgot. There were some restaurants there as well. Hopefully one is still since it was my favorite! We paid 99.00 thru valuetrips, but that's off season.

I'd love to stay at that hotel but $389 a night plus taxes per night just is a tad much for my frugal self.:eek:

To put it in perspective we have booked Hyatt Place cruise port for $159 for our cruise.:)

Bill

I woudln't pay that much either! When we were at the Westin last year we paid $138 (yep...less than your Hyatt place) and the time before was even less by booking via one of those blind booking website and doing a ton of research ahead to be sure that's the hotel we got. So, yes you can get a great deal.

Edited by tropiclvrs

We've stayed at both Hyatt Pier 66 and Springhill Suites. Hyatt is much, much nicer. Cab to the port was less $ than the hotel shuttle, but I don't remember by how much. No free breakfast, but gorgeous pool area and lovely to walk around and see the yachts. On campus restaurants were good.

Springhill was fine - price was right - free shuttles from airport and then to cruise port. The area isn't all that nice, but it was fine for the one night. There's an outdoor shopping mall where we picked up some last minute things, and also walked to a Cuban restaurant (which wasn't very good).

Prices are ridiculous:eek: considering to stay further away from ft Lauderdale' date=' driving in maybe an hr or two. Just can't justify pricey stay for 1 nt. Any ideas on that thought? I just don't know the area at all.....[/quote']

What is a price you'd be happy with and what month are you sailing?

Bill

Prices are ridiculous:eek: considering to stay further away from ft Lauderdale' date=' driving in maybe an hr or two. Just can't justify pricey stay for 1 nt. Any ideas on that thought? I just don't know the area at all.....[/quote']

I haven't stayed there so I can't comment on how we found the hotel, but when we were looking, we originally booked La Quinta Inn & Suites in Hollywood, Florida. The price was reasonable and included breakfast, Wifi and airport transportation. The place looks quite pretty from the pictures as there is a lake around it. The pool looks nice and it's near a shopping area Oakwood Plaza. From my research, the port is about 20 minutes away. They also provide a shuttle for a small fee.

The only reason we switched our booking is because a great price popped up for Comfort Inn near 17th street (now called Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruiseport Hotel as it has switched owners).

We found Hyatt and Embassy Suites very pricey (but not sure if that is the Canadian dollar and/or the time we are coming).

Edited by LuCruise

Wow! Nice to see someone on here that is further away from FLL than we are in SEA. :) We also have to fly into FLL (Alaska Airlines) and the last time we did (for our DCL cruise), we stayed at a rinky dink place right on the beach. The price was right and there was definitely enough space for our little family of 3. Since we got in around dinner time and were leaving for POM the next morning, it served its purpose of a place to sleep. Pretty sure it was called the Silver Seas Beach Club. It was within walking distance to a LOT of restaurants and the beach was right across the street. Post cruise, we stayed at the Bahia Mar for a couple of nights. That place was very nice, but also more expensive.

We are feeling the $$$ pain too. Not cruising until January 2017 but need a decent hotel for under $200. Group of 15 so far, maybe more... How is the Plantation area?

If you are only spending a night and not wanting to sightsee, Plantation is a nice suburb but it is quite a ways from the port and airport so it would be best to get a hotel with a free/cheap shuttle; otherwise you may eat up any savings from the rooms on transportation.

We are feeling the $$$ pain too. Not cruising until January 2017 but need a decent hotel for under $200.

You might try looking at the Hyatt Place rate on Valuetrips.com when they add 2017 (right now only goes through 2016). This past January the rate was $195 night and it is in a fantastic location and has shuttles (I think). Do a search on this forum - it is highly recommended by many cruisers.

Do you know when Valuetrips.com will add 2017? I have looked at that and wonder if the 14th is going to be blacked out.

No, but I looked at the booking form and it lets you pick 2017 but that might just be a generic form. Is there a 'contact us' link on the valuetrip website? If so, you could ask.

A hotel room for January 14th will not be cheap since that is the Saturday of the 3 day weekend (Martin Luther King birthday) - probably the busiest weekend in January. You are wise to be looking now.

We are feeling the $$$ pain too. Not cruising until January 2017 but need a decent hotel for under $200. Group of 15 so far, maybe more... How is the Plantation area?

Just plugging your date in quickly (1/14/17??) there are several options on Orbitz in that price range right in the heart of FLL. Best Western, LaQuinta, Hyatt Place (where I would choose) Comfort Suites and Cambria are all no more than $207. That's pretty reason for that time of year. It's way too early to be looking for a deal, but if you need to book now any of those would be better options than staying way out in the burbs.

Just plugging your date in quickly (1/14/17??) there are several options on Orbitz in that price range right in the heart of FLL. Best Western, LaQuinta, Hyatt Place (where I would choose) Comfort Suites and Cambria are all no more than $207. That's pretty reason for that time of year. It's way too early to be looking for a deal, but if you need to book now any of those would be better options than staying way out in the burbs.

We are looking at booking The Hyatt Place in Dania. Yes it is early but, we want to book something now and if a better deal comes along then we would cancel. :)

We like the Double Tree Galleria. I just booked a two bedroom suite (1 king & 2 queen) for the DS, DIL, and two GD at $240 per night.

There is a water taxi stop just a few steps from the pool and a large mall across the street. Water taxi is a fun way to see the inter-coastal and find a place to eat.

I don't know about a shuttle as I booked a private limo to get us to the port. I booked a MBZ Sprinter (holds eight) for $160 including tip.

When reading on Tripadvisor, I found a discount for the Water Taxi. Purchase ahead and save:

https://www.expedia.com/things-to-do/hop-on-hop-off-water-taxi-tour.a191597.activity-details?&location=Fort%20Lauderdale%20(and%20vicinity),%20Florida,%20United%20States%20of%20America&ICMCID=META.TRIPA.ExpediaDestServices

In case link disappears, it on Tripadvisor -> search Water taxi -> yellow box, ->book on Expedia.

Check out Hilton MVP. http://stay.hilton.com/mvp/

I see Hampton Inn FLL South Cruise port for $175, Bahai Mar and Hilton FLL Marina for $215. Also some other choices a bit further out (?) for less.

Book now. If not already a Hilton member, you can sign up with your reservation. Free to cancel as well.

Edited by familyoutdoors

My husband, 4 kids, 2 of the kids friends and I are planning on sailing out of FLL Jan 6, 2017. We are flying in the day before from Anchorage, AK. I need to know about hotels that have transportation from the airport and transportation to the port....anyone have any recommendations? I would love for it to be close to a beach/easy beach access and close to dining options.

Budget hotel. Rodeway Inn FLL Has everything on your list but close to beach.

Here's a quick review I did:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2311480

Check out Hilton MVP. http://stay.hilton.com/mvp/

I see Hampton Inn FLL South Cruise port for $175, Bahai Mar and Hilton FLL Marina for $215. Also some other choices a bit further out (?) for less.

Book now. If not already a Hilton member, you can sign up with your reservation. Free to cancel as well.

Read the new fine print on the MVP pricing. Do not know for certain is this is an issue or not - I THINK it depends on the location.

My TA has recommended the Hampton Inn Plantation for the night before the cruise. Any thoughts.:confused:

Are you arriving late and have no interest in sightseeing? If so, Plantation is a nice suburb about 12 miles from the airport and the port. If you are arriving early and want to sightsee, pick something in downtown Fort Lauderdale, along the Beach, or in the 17th Street area.

Hampton Inn - Airport North - W. 12th Ave. Free airport shuttle, cost to port $6/pp, free breakfast, free internet and pool. They have regular rooms and suites.

Maybe it has changed, but I was there on a business trip in 2014 and was pretty disappointed for a Hampton. The quality just didn't seem to match the price.

Arrive around lunch time day before cruise. As I mentioned TA recommended Hampton Inn Plantation. Someone suggested downtown instead. Thoughts?

If you stay at the Hampton Inn, Sawgrass Mills (a mega-sized shopping mall http://www.simon.com/mall/sawgrass-mills) is nearby. If you stay in Fort Lauderdale you have the water taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com), sun trolley (http://www.suntrolley.com) and many more attractions (http://www.sunny.org) close by.

Personally with that much time on my hands I would want to stay in Fort Lauderdale, not in the suburbs unless I was a shopper.