Silver Spirits Beverage Packageed

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Viking Ocean
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:34 AM.
205 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Dauntless
I questioned Viking about the higher priced drinks in Torshavn and was told that drinks there that are also available at other bars on board are the same price but the premium drinks, that only the club has, will be more.
We had a Silver Package and there is a note on the page where you buy it that drinks are free for you IF the serving is $15.00 or less or the bottle less than $50.00 (I believe you could have a drink from the bottle that's cost less than $50.00).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Vili, Viking Skirnir-Grand European September 2016
Viking Star - Viking Homelands July 2017
California
328 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by Papillon612
I'm really sorry to hear that everyone in the cabin must purchase the SS package! I don't drink, but my husband likes higher grade scotches and sometimes an upgraded wine with dinner. We are booked on the Sun next June for our first Viking experience. He was planning on buying the SS package for himself. We are accustomed to upgrading my husband's drink package on Celebrity, while I have never had to do so. This goes into the "con" column when we are comparing the lines after we sail on the Sun.
I also find it surprising that this is the policy since I keep hearing how VIking treats us like "Adults".

As they seem to be a company that is not afraid to listen in on CC and respond to what their customers want perhaps they will rethink this all or none beverage package upgrade policy.

I just don't see what they are worried about with the type of passenger they attract. I can't imagine Viking Cruisers are the kind to take advantage of a system for a mere $20 a day. I mean especially since we can bring on anything we want and drink it anywhere on the ship!
Michigan
1,428 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Personally, I think people would take advantage.
on our WC everyone will receive the Silver Spirit package (thankfully) but if we were NON drinkers I may be thinking I should get something else....a massage?
New Hampshire
562 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Originally posted by deec
Personally, I think people would take advantage.
on our WC everyone will receive the Silver Spirit package (thankfully) but if we were NON drinkers I may be thinking I should get something else....a massage?
Absolutely too many people would take advantage if only one person bought the Silver Spirits package. Waiters are there to serve and please, not to police folks cheating on SS for one, "Just a sip or 2 of that delicious premium wine."
"Let's get one more and carry it back to the lounge/room (where we can share)."

Don't blame Viking at all even though in my case it would be great.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Uniworld Portugal, Spain & Douro River Valley June 2018
Viking Forseti Chateaus & Bordeaux September 2017
Viking Sea Viking Homelands May-June 2017
Viking Lofn Switzerland to Amsterdam October 2016
Silverseas Silver Spirit Mediterranean September 2015
Viking Buri Portraits of Southern France April 2015
Viking Freya Romantic Danube September 2014

1,731 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
It would sure be helpful if we could have some actual examples of the current brands of included wines vs those on the package......(understanding that they will be changing over time).....examples would allow those of us on the fence to get an idea of what an actual upgraded wine truly looks like.
On our previous Viking cruises we were in ports consistent with good wine territories to bring on board. Not all of the expanded itineraries offer these types of ports. Our upcoming one does not.
Does anyone have this type of information? Even just a few examples would be really helpful so we could do a little homework.
Cocktails price points/offerings have been well posted... I may have missed it on the wine comparisons......thanks much!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grand Princess - SFO RT to Vancouver BC, Sept 2018
VikingSea - San Juan-Amazon-San Juan Dec 2017
Viking Star - Bergen- Stockholm 2015
Viking Star - Barcelona-Bergen 2015
HAL Ryndam - Istanbul- Barcelona 2014
HAL Ryndam - Athens -Istanbul 2014
Viking Skadi - Amsterdam- Budapest 2013
Princess - Western Mediterranean - 2010
Princess Golden - Alaska - 2010
Arizona
133 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
You can buy the package once you are on the ship, that way you can see the wine and liquor lists and make a decision. The wine at the Chef's table seemed to be significantly different for those with the beverage package. We buy the package for the ease of not tracking what we drink when, for the option of "upgraded" wines at meals, etc. We had the package on our recent river cruise in France and I didn't realize until the last night that I could have been ordering veuve clicquot every day. I'll be much more diligent in September.
1,731 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Really good idea Krisval. Thank you.
And if they have VC available as an option or for a discount with the package that just might be enough
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michigan
1,428 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
On our 20 day cruise they changed the premium wines mid-way but still had some of the original choices available. On our cruise the package only included Viking's Sparkling Wine definitely NOT VC by the glass ( may have been available for a bottle discount)
1,731 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
I would be beyond shocked if VC was on there - was kind of tongue and cheek as I truly would like it to be - but don't in the least expect it. Thanks Deec for bringing me updated info from our last Viking cruises.

We will figure it out - and in the meantime if anyone finds a list to share of SS Package wine examples vs regular pour it would be appreciated very much
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Arizona
133 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Maybe the river cruises in France are able to offer VC as part of the SS package? We at least got one night in before the end if the cruise. I'll be looking over that bottle list when we are on Homelands!
205 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Krisval
Maybe the river cruises in France are able to offer VC as part of the SS package? We at least got one night in before the end if the cruise. I'll be looking over that bottle list when we are on Homelands!
Viking Star had VC on Homelands. It was priced by the bottle not by the glass. If I'm not mistaken the price was $65.00 but I won't bet on it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1,731 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
That is a fair price for VC.
Do you get discounts on bottles of wine with Silver Spirits package?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
205 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Vineyard View
That is a fair price for VC.
Do you get discounts on bottles of wine with Silver Spirits package?
I don't believe you could have a discount. I didn't see any note about it but you never know
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Missouri
139 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
I wish they would have an indicator on the drinks menu to show which would be included if you had purchased the SS package.

Does anyone remember someone posting a recent drink menu from the Europe / Italy itineraries (if I understand it, the included alcohol selection changes, based on itinerary?)?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Boston MA
6,285 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by AdventureGal79
I wish they would have an indicator on the drinks menu to show which would be included if you had purchased the SS package.

Does anyone remember someone posting a recent drink menu from the Europe / Italy itineraries (if I understand it, the included alcohol selection changes, based on itinerary?)?
They don't need to mark anything because the plan is simple: anything--wine, beer, cocktails, liquors, liquers, whiskeys, soda, mocktails-- under $15 per glass is covered.

Here is the current plan description from MyVikingJourney:

• Any drinks up to $15.00 including premium
  • The Chef’s Table premium wine pairing
  • Selection of applicable wines change twice per cruise

• Wines by the glass, cocktails & aperitifs
  • Mini-bar replenishments
  • 15% discount on Premium Beverages above $50.00
  • Soft drinks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
13 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
We have been on four Viking River cruises. The only one that had exceptional standard wines was the Bordeaux cruise. On our last cruise (Rhine) the same white and the same red were served the entire week. The wines were OK but we tired of them quickly. We did purchase wine on shore for on board consumption. In June 2018 we'll be on the Into the Midnight Sun ocean cruise. I don't think that good wines will be readily available to buy in port and we're looking at 14 days on the ship instead of 7 days so I'm thinking about purchasing the Beverage package to be able to have some variety. As others have mentioned, I'd be interested to know what premium wines might be available. Also, we will be in the basic Veranda cabin which doesn't provide alcohol in the minibar. Would I be able to have it stocked if I purchased the beverage package?
New York
8,402 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by TakingFlight
We have been on four Viking River cruises. The only one that had exceptional standard wines was the Bordeaux cruise. On our last cruise (Rhine) the same white and the same red were served the entire week. The wines were OK but we tired of them quickly. We did purchase wine on shore for on board consumption. In June 2018 we'll be on the Into the Midnight Sun ocean cruise. I don't think that good wines will be readily available to buy in port and we're looking at 14 days on the ship instead of 7 days so I'm thinking about purchasing the Beverage package to be able to have some variety. As others have mentioned, I'd be interested to know what premium wines might be available. Also, we will be in the basic Veranda cabin which doesn't provide alcohol in the minibar. Would I be able to have it stocked if I purchased the beverage package?
If you purchase the beverage package, you will be limited to the enhanced wine by the glass list. Why not put that money in a 'mental' bank account and use it to buy wine by the bottle -- a much more extensive list that can easily be supplemented by wine bought onshore when available? That's my plan on the British Isles cruise [not expecting to stock up in Bergen, but who knows? Maybe Norwegians enjoy fine wine more than I expect? ] IMHO the only way any beverage package works out is if you want top shelf liquor.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me: [email protected]
Blogs: Jazzbeaux Blogs

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018
AMA Discover Africa 5-2018
Viking Sun British Isles Explorer 8-2018
Celebrity Edge Caribbean B2B / Celebrity Equinox Caribbean B2B 1-2019 [will choose one!]

Completed:
Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016; Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016; Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016; AmaDagio Provence 9-2015; Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015; Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015; Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014; Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014; Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014; AmaCello Rhine 8-2013; Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013; Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012; Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
205 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Peregrina651
They don't need to mark anything because the plan is simple: anything--wine, beer, cocktails, liquors, liquers, whiskeys, soda, mocktails-- under $15 per glass is covered.

Here is the current plan description from MyVikingJourney:

• Any drinks up to $15.00 including premium
  • The Chef’s Table premium wine pairing
  • Selection of applicable wines change twice per cruise
  • Wines by the glass, cocktails & aperitifs
  • Mini-bar replenishments
  • 15% discount on Premium Beverages above $50.00
  • Soft drinks
As always Peregrina is right PLUS you could ask bartenders. They are all very nice and will tell you what is included in the package. Ask what premium wines you have that included in SS package. When I tried Armagnac VSOP and liked it, he asked if I want to try 10 years and immediately told me that it's included. Talk to them, they know their stuff.

Edit:
forgot to mention that when you ask for premium wine included in the package, they will bring you a menu. The choice is extremely limited- 2 red wines and 2 white wines plus one choice of sparkling wine. The wines were just OK. The wines we had at the Chef's Table were much better. I wasn't crazy about chineese red wine and they substituted it with very pleasant wine.

My point is-ask, but ask nicely. It seems that almost everything is possible. The system is not perfect, but they really try. Yes, I didn't like a dish a couple of times and I was immediately asked if they could brink me something else. Some people have a bad meal/drink and don't ask for something else, then they coming home and write how upset they are. Well, did you ask for something else?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
35 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Hi Takingflight

I read the following post on Cruise Critic on July 10/17 which was directly from Viking Guest Relations
"In general, all guests with the Silver Spirits Beverage Package will receive mini bar replacement of alcoholic beverages - regardless of cabin category"

I understand the rules are a bit different however for the World Cruise.

Enjoy!
Michigan
1,428 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
I like that Viking has changed its policy!!! In April on the SKY we were in a DV 1 with SS package and were unable to have our minibar replenished with either alcohol or soft drinks....had to order from room service ( a hassle for staff and passengers!)

Thanks, Viking for evaluating how things were workingand making the SS package even better!

We will see how the World Cruise goes as we ALL have SS package. It may be a work in progress.....4 months is a long time!!! May have to bring a flask and order my Scotch neat a few times and fill the flask!