Service Reward Letter

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:48 AM.
Devon, UK
4,783 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Just returned from a very good cruise on Oriana. We removed our autograts as usual and tipped the full amount in cash personally. Our cabin was in a section of 10 cabins. On the last but one night, there were letters in 7 of the cabin slots outside the doors. I cannot see why they would send a letter which asks for your reasons for removing the autograts, which you already gave when you signed the form taking them off. Weird.

I binned ours.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

Scotland
1,138 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
I thought they had stopped sending these letters. Has the wording changed any from that reported previously?

7 out of 10 is a high number of removes!
Staffordshire
1,203 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
I thought they had stopped sending these letters. Has the wording changed any from that reported previously?

7 out of 10 is a high number of removes!
There were no letters on Azura 13th - 27th April.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
5 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Hello Jean

My wife and I were on the same Oriana cruise. We removed the autograts at the beginning of the second full week, and we received the letter a few days later. It wasn't left outside though; it had been placed in our cabin by our steward. From the people we spoke to and from what we heard, a lot of passengers removed the autograts. I've kept our letter as I intend to send it to P&O along with a letter of my own, as this is one of a number of issues (not all relating to this particular cruise) that I want to bring to their attention.
Surrey, UK
1,570 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by mandylennon
Maybe they only give out letters where over half of the stewards allocated cabins remove their tips in case there is a particular issue with the steward.
I wouldn't think in that case they would get the steward to deliver the letters, or would they ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
37 Cruises - 20 Ships - 408 Nights at Sea
P&O (22): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(4), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(6), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (5): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette(2) Thomson (4): Island Breeze, Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland America (1): Eurodam Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
Devon, UK
4,783 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Our steward was fantastic. I just got home yesterday and what I can't understand is you fill out a form on which you say why you have removed them. In our case we said "we will not be told by P&O what to tip. A tip is something freely given and not a service charge". So to put these letters outside with 2 nights to go beggars belief. We thought about whether to respond, but decided it was just more of our time taken up and then you have to take it to Reception, so we binned it.

By the way, we removed the auto tip on Day 2 of a 18 day cruise, so why wait until Day 16 to send the letter.

I think the steward would only put it in the cabin if you hadn't found it first. It was outside with our Horizon, so he hadn't had time to put it inside.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

Devon, UK
4,783 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Originally posted by LondonLad60
Hello Jean

My wife and I were on the same Oriana cruise. We removed the autograts at the beginning of the second full week, and we received the letter a few days later. It wasn't left outside though; it had been placed in our cabin by our steward. From the people we spoke to and from what we heard, a lot of passengers removed the autograts. I've kept our letter as I intend to send it to P&O along with a letter of my own, as this is one of a number of issues (not all relating to this particular cruise) that I want to bring to their attention.
I think by my stats in our corridor a great many people removed tips. By the way, on the last night, the restaurant was quite full and many folk were giving tips.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

England
1,278 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
I also struggle to understand why they ask you to answer questions that you have already answered. Ask them at reception when you fill in the form or send a form to the cabin - but both is pointless and just winds people up!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 155 nights over 14 cruises (Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 62 nights over 4 cruises (2018 - Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
Scotland
1,138 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by Selbourne
I also struggle to understand why they ask you to answer questions that you have already answered. Ask them at reception when you fill in the form or send a form to the cabin - but both is pointless and just winds people up!
I suspect that the answer is actually of of no interest to them. It’s simply a guilt trip (based on the wording posted previously) to try to get people to change their minds and pay the auto tips.
872 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
If other passengers get to know what these letters are and see them in half the cabins mail holders then it could be bad for P and O. If other passengers are cancelling the auto gratuities then it must be acceptable and I should do it also. A bit like election posters in gardens.

I wonder if any passengers have been swayed by these letters to add back the auto gratuity.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Stoke on Trent, England
5,313 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
If other passengers get to know what these letters are and see them in half the cabins mail holders then it could be bad for P and O. If other passengers are cancelling the auto gratuities then it must be acceptable and I should do it also. A bit like election posters in gardens.

I wonder if any passengers have been swayed by these letters to add back the auto gratuity.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
These letters shout out 'desperation' to me if so many people are taking off the automatic tips.
P&O is going to have to deal with this issue as it is getting ridiculous.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed on:

P&O Oceana 05.04.18 : Eastern Med fly cruise
P&O Ventura 15.08.17 : Spain & the Greek Islands
P&O Britannia 28.05.17 : Iberian Cruise
P&O Oceana 10.08.16 : Western Med fly cruise
P&O Britannia 25.07.15 : Iberia and Canaries
P&O Oceana 08.04.15 : Western Med
P&O Oceana 19.04.14 : Iberian Cruise
RCI Independence of the Seas 29.10.13 : Mini cruise
Celebrity Silhouette 12:08:13 : Greek Islands / Italy
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:12 : Adriatic / Venice
Celebrity Silhouette 10:08:11 : Eastern Med/Holy Land
P&O Oceana August 2010 : Western Med
Ocean Village 02:08:09 : Eastern Med / Crete
Louis Cruises August 2001 : Egypt
Devon, UK
4,783 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
I should have mentioned that the letters were in envelopes, so others would not know what they are apart from the stewards i imagine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean

England
1,278 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by Presto2
These letters shout out 'desperation' to me if so many people are taking off the automatic tips.
P&O is going to have to deal with this issue as it is getting ridiculous.
Let’s hope. People power may win the day. I also agree that it’s counter productive. It was finding out just how many people were removing the service charge that tipped it for us, as we felt that we were subsidising those who opt out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 155 nights over 14 cruises (Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 62 nights over 4 cruises (2018 - Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
Southampton
501 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
If you are not ashamed about removing you auto tips, why so worried about people knowing. You all seem to be very brave on voicing your option from behind your keypads
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Scotland
1,138 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by jay888
If you are not ashamed about removing you auto tips, why so worried about people knowing. You all seem to be very brave on voicing your option from behind your keypads
I’ll start by saying that to date I have never removed auto tips, though I am now considering doing so for a number of reasons. I think these letters are unacceptable, people are entitled to make their own decision until such times as P&O add the cost to the fares. The company should not use emotional blackmail, if it’s that important then add it to the price and we all pay not just those of us who auto tip or pay in cash.

Most people who remove the tips, on here anyway, have no need to be “ashamed” as they remove but pay in cash.

Those who remove and don’t pay anything, well it’s a choice p&o allow them to make.
34 Posts
Joined May 2018
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
Those who remove and don’t pay anything, well it’s a choice p&o allow them to make.
It certainly is.

And since whether you pay the autotips or not it makes no difference to the amount of money the staff get, then you would be daft to pay them.
Sunderland England
8,140 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Selbourne
Emotional blackmail or trying to shame passengers.
Surely now with most cruise lines offering all inclusive and in particular Tips Included it must be close to the time P&O who call themselves the British line came in line and included gratuitys in the price.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app