Do I have to get off the ship in Cuba?

NanBD

OK. I know a lot of you will wonder why I would book a trip to Cuba and not get off the ship when it arrives. The thing is, I have Crohns Disease. If it flares while I am on a cruise I pretty much end up staying in my cabin...or at least near bathrooms. What happens if I have a flare and end up needing to remain on the ship in Cuba? From what I have read, the "People to People" license thing means I am supposed to interact with the Cuban people in order to even qualify for a visa. The excursions offered by the cruise lines meet those guidelines; pretty sure staying on board would not do so. So..do I have to get off the ship?:)

I would contact the cruise line to be sure. I recommend bringing a letter from your physician to back this up in case you are asked to disembark the ship. It’s definitely a question I would contact the cruise line to clarify.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Knowing that you can not ALWAYS get the correct answer from cruise lines, depending on who you speak to I would go to the Source to be SURE..

• Office of Foreign Assets Control ​OFAC Licensing Division .

​ (Direct Number) 1-202-622-2480

bosco

Fyi, as strange as it sounds if you do go into cuba, bring toilet paper.

People stand outside the doors and charge you 1 or 2 CUC for a few pieces.

The last time we went, we learned very quickly not to leave the resort without any ��

We had the same experience when touring Hong Kong. It is good advise to grab a handful of TP before getting off the ship.

OP, I doubt you have to get off the ship, but I am pretty sure you can't get the cost of the Visa back and thaat is understandable.

I wish you well, what a shame it would be to book a cruise to Cuba and perhaps not be able to visit.

The last time we went, we learned very quickly not to leave the resort without any ��

Good to know. Thanks.

Shouldn’t be an issue if you do not get off the ship. I doubt NCL will refund the $75 visa if you choose not to use it. There is a bathroom in the cruise terminal but it is not the best - stay on the ship.

I would check at the source anyway, you will be in Cuba when you enter its waters.

OMO

bosco

I would check at the source anyway, you will be in Cuba when you enter its waters.bosco

The OFAC people to people certification is completely separate from the Visa/tourist card. The OFAC form is required by the US. Once we submit it well before the cruise, we were never asked anything about it.

On our cruise, there were no announcements about having to leave the ship and go through Cuba's visa control and show your passport. Your Visa is required by Cuba and you get it upon embarkation. If you do not get off the ship, you would not turn in your Visa to Cuba or have your passport stamped. I would ask the OFAC office if the unused Visa would be sufficient documentation in the event of a post cruise audit by OFAC of the people to people certification.

If you are planning to get off the ship, you have to book a ship excursion to be in compliance with OFAC rules. So, be sure to check the cancellation policies with NCL.

OK. I know a lot of you will wonder why I would book a trip to Cuba and not get off the ship when it arrives. The thing is, I have Crohns Disease. If it flares while I am on a cruise I pretty much end up staying in my cabin...or at least near bathrooms. What happens if I have a flare and end up needing to remain on the ship in Cuba? From what I have read, the "People to People" license thing means I am supposed to interact with the Cuban people in order to even qualify for a visa. The excursions offered by the cruise lines meet those guidelines; pretty sure staying on board would not do so. So..do I have to get off the ship?:)

Skip Cuba (not like you will be missing much) and enjoy having the whole ship to yourself!

The OFAC people to people certification is completely separate from the Visa/tourist card. The OFAC form is required by the US. Once we submit it well before the cruise, we were never asked anything about it.

On our cruise, there were no announcements about having to leave the ship and go through Cuba's visa control and show your passport. Your Visa is required by Cuba and you get it upon embarkation. If you do not get off the ship, you would not turn in your Visa to Cuba or have your passport stamped. I would ask the OFAC office if the unused Visa would be sufficient documentation in the event of a post cruise audit by OFAC of the people to people certification.

If you are planning to get off the ship, you have to book a ship excursion to be in compliance with OFAC rules. So, be sure to check the cancellation policies with NCL.

Does NCL force you to do a ship excursion to get off the ship if you are not a US citizen?

Does NCL force you to do a ship excursion to get off the ship if you are not a US citizen?

It is the US Government’s rules not NCL’s. Non US citizens are considered under OFAC’s rules because the ship departs from Florida. But I believe compliance is by audit after the trip. Don’t know that OFAC would audit non US citizens. Ask your travel agent for guidance on non NCL excursions, but NCL will require the OFAC certification form from you.

It is the US Government’s rules not NCL’s. Non US citizens are considered under OFAC’s rules because the ship departs from Florida. But I believe compliance is by audit after the trip. Don’t know that OFAC would audit non US citizens. Ask your travel agent for guidance on non NCL excursions, but NCL will require the OFAC certification form from you.

I'm not sure how they could audit non US citizens.

I'll probably just go on a land trip to Cuba as Canadians have no restrictions.

True. I was there in May 2017. Bring tissues to use as TP or actual TP. Bring SANITIZING GEL ... many restrooms do not have working faucets OR paper towels. Many restrooms you toss your TP into a trash can and NOT into toilet.

Do the officials at your port of return to the U.S. know where you have been? YES

Does the United States Government know you DIDN'T get off the ship? NO

Does the cruise ship keep and provide proof that you stayed on board? NO

When you are docked in Havana, are you IN CUBA? YES

-----------------------------------------------------------

I should have added this to the above:

Does OFAC-Homeland Security-Customs and Immigration or amy agency really appear to give a darn? NO

Although I have not heard of anyone having any problems visiting Cuba or problems providing proof of participation in any of the silly 12 OFAC requirements, if you want to do what you want to do It.

As to the strict legality ???? But like I said, I haven't heard of any problem with this going back to the start of the relaxed rules.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

Do the officials at your port of return to the U.S. know where you have been? YES

Does the United States Government know you DIDN'T get off the ship? NO

Does the cruise ship keep and provide proof that you stayed on board? NO

When you are docked in Havana, are you IN CUBA? YES

-----------------------------------------------------------

I should have added this to the above:

Does OFAC-Homeland Security-Customs and Immigration or amy agency really appear to give a darn? NO

Although I have not heard of anyone having any problems visiting Cuba or problems providing proof of participation in any of the silly 12 OFAC requirements, if you want to do what you want to do It.

As to the strict legality ???? But like I said, I haven't heard of any problem with this going back to the start of the relaxed rules.

bosco

Out of curiosity about an issue that I have been involved with for several years I thought I would get an answer from the powers that be..

After several unsuccessful attempts over a period of 2 days at trying to contact OFAC I decided to seek help from another government department that I have dealt with in the past, that being the U.S. Embassy in Havana.

Unofficially their view is that unless you step foot on Cuban soil you have no obligation to deal with any of the rules for travel as per OFAC.

I also asked for their number to reach OFAC as the ones on their website are mostly dead ends and ring around the answering machine.

I did manage to get a call back from OFAC and recieved the same response as from the Havana Embassy. Stay on Ship=No OFAC Obligations.

OMO and FWIW that of two US Federal Employees..

bosco