What's your champagne preference ???

I am anxiously awaiting my cruise on the FOS and want to be sure to visit the champagne lounge to try a few different varieties.

If you would like to comment on your favorite, please list the name and also the flavor it would help to assist me with my selection to try.

Cheers!;)

Champagne Bar is on my to-do list for December. I never made it by there once in June....Boleros' Mojitos were too much of a draw. Actually had a nightmare last night that I was on the last day of the cruise and once again hadn't experienced the whole ship! I'll need to actually bring a list with me next time. LOL

Have a great cruise and enjoy ALL the bubbly!

T

My favorite champagne is:

Louis Bouillot/grand reserve/Cremant de Bourgogne/brut

It is a french champagne and very tasty. Whether or not it is served on the ships, I don't know, I never ordered it (I take my own along). It is a nice champagne though and worth trying if your local liquor store carries it.

Zotzer, I LOVE your new avatar! And, by the way, I am also a friend of Henry! TN_henry_05.jpg

My favorite champagne is:

Louis Bouillot/grand reserve/Cremant de Bourgogne/brut

It is a french champagne and very tasty. Whether or not it is served on the ships, I don't know, I never ordered it (I take my own along). It is a nice champagne though and worth trying if your local liquor store carries it.

Champagne is actually ONLY French. It can only be called Champagne if it is from the Champagne region of France. Otherwise it is just sparkling wine.;)

Just thought I would point that out. For no reason, really. I am just weird that way.

Champagne is actually ONLY French. It can only be called Champagne if it is from the Champagne region of France. Otherwise it is just sparkling wine.;)

Just thought I would point that out. For no reason, really. I am just weird that way.

Precisement! Cremant de Bourgogne is from Burgundy!

Go to the champagne bar and study the menu. Pick the brain of the bartender there. Google beforehand and learn a little bit about champagne. Champagne is made from only three types of grapes: chardonnay, pinot noir, and pinot meunier. If the wine is made only of chardonnay it is called a blanc de blanc; if only from the pinots, it will have a blush color to it and be called a blanc de noirs.

My favorite is the Veuve Clicquot (means the Widow Clicquot) yellow label basic non vintage---full bodied and yummy!

Bon Voyage!!

Leslie

My favorite is the Veuve Clicquot (means the Widow Clicquot) yellow label basic non vintage---full bodied and yummy!

I'm all over it Leslie. It's a great bottle and not so expensive, and they have it on the wine list. I have the Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Rose in my possession, and am ready to try it. Rose Champagnes are supposedly better tasting than the regular ones, according to a magazine article I read. Cheers!

What is the best/easiest way to assure having a bottle available in our suite upon early (noonish) boarding? Given that I won't be bringing any onboard with me this time, & that in the past I've tried ordering the ship's "package" & from a private gift service & they both arrived hours later, I want to know: can I order this from room service? (not sure they'll be working this early though) Can I bring a bottle back from the champagne bar? Or will I have to slug it down in the bar & run back to enjoy the buzz in my suite? :p

I'm all over it Leslie. It's a great bottle and not so expensive, and they have it on the wine list. I have the Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Rose in my possession, and am ready to try it. Rose Champagnes are supposedly better tasting than the regular ones, according to a magazine article I read. Cheers!

It's not any better tasting to me, but it's still really, really delish! Veuve and Tattinger are our faves.

Another vote for Veuve Clicquot NV. It is quite tasty, and we can get it for about $40 per bottle here.

If you've got some extra $$, give Louis Roederer' Cristal a shot. It is VERY tasty, but at over $300/bottle, it is WAY beyond my budget!

Go to the champagne bar and study the menu. Pick the brain of the bartender there. Google beforehand and learn a little bit about champagne. Champagne is made from only three types of grapes: chardonnay, pinot noir, and pinot meunier. If the wine is made only of chardonnay it is called a blanc de blanc; if only from the pinots, it will have a blush color to it and be called a blanc de noirs.

Bon Voyage!!

Leslie

I do know a little, thank you. And I do know that technically, it can only be called Champagne if it is from the Champagne region of France.

Cham·pagne

A historical region and former province of northeast France. It was incorporated into the French royal domain in 1314. The sparkling wine champagne was first produced here c. 1700.

cham·pagne

A sparkling white wine made from a blend of grapes, especially Chardonnay and pinot, produced in Champagne.

Most of the time, it is all referred to as Champagne, but it is not suppose to be. I was mererly pointing out that if her Champagne was from that region, that it is indeed champagne. Otherwise, as I said, it is not. Thanks for your little lesson, though.

Veuve Clicquot is HIGHLY overrated, in my not-in-the-least-bit-humble opinion. Give me Taittinger or Mumm Cordon Rouge or Moet et Chandon or Roederer any day.

As for the free stuff at the Art Auction...........not if you paid me. BLECH!

Free is NOT always best.

Now, RICK sends GOOD stuff. I'll drink whatever RICK sends me. :D :D :D

I love Moët & Chandon Brut Impérial!

I was disappointed at our last cruise, when the champagne promised in the romance package wasn't champagne, but just sparkling wine. I think it's just outrageous to lie to people like that about matters of this great importance! :cool: :p

My wife and I are big Veuve Clicquot fans too. Have tried many others in the same price range (we can get it for about $30/bottle, case price) and still come away liking it the best. Personal preference. I will say that it is hard to come up with anything that is less than $20 - $25/bottle that even comes close. We usually bring a case with us when we cruise. Very nice way to start the evenings off and we have never had trouble getting others to join in with us.

Mark & Janet

mdmourges, do you put the case of wine in your luggage? Does it always arrive totally intact? This is something I would love to do,but isn't it heavy. Please let me know how you pack it. Tks, (yum yum) :p Are you a Dr. Is that where your name is taking us, to your line of work??????? :eek:

Perrier Jouet - first had it at boss' anniversary party about 25 years ago - spoiled me for life. Introduced DH to it when we started dating. Now, we usually only get a bottle for New Year's Eve or special occasions (like my upcoming birthday). I've got a whole set of the hand-painted glasses that match the bottles!

Over the edge:

One thing nice about cases of VC is the shape of the box (assuming you don't get the gift box case). It is fairly flat and the bottles are well protected. We put the box in a big suitcase and surround it with clothes for add'l protection. If you work it right, it will weigh in at less than 50lbs (max without a fee for most planes). We have never had an issue with a bottle breaking or having RC not let us bring the suitcases on board adn we have done this at least 6 times. Last year we brought 2 cases with us because it was us and 24 family and friends who had joined us for our honeymoon aboard Mariner (2nd marriage for both of us). We have also not had any issues with asking our room steward, in advance, to put bottles on ice around 5 o'clock each evening. We do end up tipping well but the service is well worth it.

Mark & Janet

Thank you so much for the info. I feel like I could use a nice glass of wine while I write this, but work must come first. :( Packing the wine in that way sounds perfect. I will definitely be doing the same. Congrats on your marriage! What a great way to start life together with a cruise. Now, you will have to keep it up with an anniversary cruise every year. :p

As a person who absolutely loves California wines my choice is Veuve Clicquot NV. :eek: Thats right, advantage France! although IMHO Dom is very good but overrated . Domesticly, Tattinger's Domaine Caneros Le Reve` is also quite nice.

Thanks so much. I see that there will be quite a few varieties to sample over the duration of our cruise. I also will plan to bring a couple of bottles with me of the Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label for the departure celebration on our balcony. Am I to believe that they do not have this listed as a selection on the ship so they don't mind if it is brought on board?

Leslie

Actually, Burgandy is a separate wine region than Champagne, therefore sparkling wine made in Burgandy could not officially be called "Champagne."

http://www.terroir-france.com/wine/regions.htm

But I'd sure love to try this sparkling wine. And let's be real, I think most people generally refer to all sparkling wine as Champagne, even if it's not technically true.

Dom Perignon may in fact be overrated, but it's still my favorite.

Archived