Shaquille O'Neal Named Chief Fun Officer of Carnival Cruise Line

LauraS

They could have kept all night room service for free or maybe kept cable if they wouldn't have done this. Dumb move CCL

I agree with you it's a waste of money. But from a business perspective they'll just write off the "marketing" costs vs. not being able to write off the employee labor expenses for room service. The bean counters always win.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

I agree with you it's a waste of money. But from a business perspective they'll just write off the "marketing" costs vs. not being able to write off the employee labor expenses for room service. The bean counters always win.

They should have kept George Lopez

Us? Probably not. People new to cruising, or new Carnival? Maybe. They want to be known as the fun ships, not uptight, arrogant people I know that shove Royal Caribbean down my throat all the time.

why do they need anyone? Do these people really influence us to book Carnival?

Laura

They should have kept George Lopez

Good grief no. The biggest mistake Carnival made was making those small comedy clubs and having George Lopez recruit those lousy comics (most acts are all about profanity rather than telling jokes).

They need to go back to using the bigger venues so more people can enjoy the comedy and get comics that are funny as opposed to shocking

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good grief no. The biggest mistake Carnival made was making those small comedy clubs and having George Lopez recruit those lousy comics (most acts are all about profanity rather than telling jokes).

They need to go back to using the bigger venues so more people can enjoy the comedy and get comics that are funny as opposed to shocking

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree George Lopez added absolutely nothing to the comedy shows. Suspect he did no recruitment of comedians either.

Some can be funny using some profanity but when all of their jokes are bathroom humor they should find another profession.

They do comedy in the rear lounge as "they want the comedian to perform in an intimate venue." For some reason that is more important than their customers being able to see all the shows they want.

Actually either way it is an expense on their books.

I would rather have more crewmembers serving us on a cruise than for a spokesperson who will do nothing to make our cruise a better one.

There are a lot of Negative Nellies on here. If advertising did not attract customers you would not see commercials on TV and there would be no such thing as free over the air TV and also magazines with no ads would cost a fortune.

The truth is that good advertising pays dividends and a well-liked spokesman is what it takes for people to believe commercials. If his commercials don't pay off, he will be out as soon as his contract expires.

Shaq is one of the most liked sports personalities around and I'm not just saying that because I'm from Louisiana.

There are a lot of Negative Nellies on here. If advertising did not attract customers you would not see commercials on TV and there would be no such thing as free over the air TV and also magazines with no ads would cost a fortune.

The truth is that good advertising pays dividends and a well-liked spokesman is what it takes for people to believe commercials. If his commercials don't pay off, he will be out as soon as his contract expires.

Shaq is one of the most liked sports personalities around and I'm not just saying that because I'm from Louisiana.

Speaking for myself but I assume I’m not alone, I think the “negative nellies” are disappointed that they paid for something and it’s not going to be the same product they paid for when they enjoy it. His adverts had no influence on our decision.

OJ Simpson was a helluva spokeman but a lot of Americans are dumb and think he killed his ex-wife and her boy toy.

Let me the ask the boys something? Do we want Shaq or Kathie Lee back?

My personal opinion...neither. I don't need some overpriced celebrity hyping a cruise to get me to go on their ships. Show me real people having fun on their ships. Show me the different parts of their ships and what they have to offer.

Their last celebrity was George Lopez for their Punchliners Comedy Club. Never saw George in person on their ships though. He didn't make the comedians any funnier either. Now that I think about it, I never saw Guy at his burger joint either.

I posted about this a couple days ago and I love the idea of having Shaq as part of the Carnival family.

He is a funny guy and one of the nicest athletes around. GREAT move Carnival. Don't worry about the whole "Room service" thing, most cruisers really don't mind the couple dollars it will cost now.

Interesting I know there are CFO's (financial) but now Fun.

Keith

It’s an honorary title. Much like a CFO is responsible for companies financial bottom line, I don’t think they’ll make Shaq responsible for cruisers “fun” experience.

The cost of paying employees is just as deductible as the cost of advertising.

Presumably, the idea is using Shaq will make them more money than not using Shaq.