Why ticket EZ Air at final payment?

palolake

I've read that some people ask to be ticketed their EZ Air at final payment. If you can change your air, and possibly get a cheaper fare, what's the advantage to doing that? I have final payment due next week. TIA

I've read that some people ask to be ticketed their EZ Air at final payment. If you can change your air, and possibly get a cheaper fare, what's the advantage to doing that? I have final payment due next week. TIA

There are probably several reasons for ticketing early. In our case, we got great first class rates, and American Airlines will not allow seat reservations until ticketed. There were only 2 "Good" seats left on our return leg, and we wanted to lock those in, so paid, and requested ticketing early.

In our case, the fares were absolutely gangbusters, and had little or no hope of them being reduced, so wnet ahead.

Stan

The advantage is that some airlines will not allow you to choose seats or make them aware of any other needs until the flight is ticketed. For example, a family member has a mobility problem. She chooses to not wear her braces while on a plane--they are uncomfortable, hot, etc. and there is no need for them while sitting. So we put in a medical request for seats "as far forward as possible." She doesn't need the first row, but one of the first few is great. Several airlines won't allow us to do that until the ticket is purchased. Yes, we would lose out if prices go down, but I'd rather know that her needs are met. And honestly, I've seen the price reductions before final payment, not after.

I asked to be ticketed this week for a cruise in January. The price has gone up a lot since I re fared once and I can't imagine it will go down over $300. I like my seats, I like my flight and I don't want anyone to mess with it.

I asked to be ticketed this week for a cruise in January. The price has gone up a lot since I re fared once and I can't imagine it will go down over $300. I like my seats, I like my flight and I don't want anyone to mess with it.

Unfortunately, you have only assured that EZ Air won't mess with it. The airline can still create havoc.

True. I fly into a mid size city and my flights always get changed a little bit here, a little bit there but it's never been too big a deal and we fly quite a bit. And as long as i get there, i don't care what happens on my way home.

There are probably several reasons for ticketing early. In our case, we got great first class rates, and American Airlines will not allow seat reservations until ticketed. There were only 2 "Good" seats left on our return leg, and we wanted to lock those in, so paid, and requested ticketing early.

In our case, the fares were absolutely gangbusters, and had little or no hope of them being reduced, so wnet ahead.

Stan

That is not true. AA does allow seat assignments for what they call First Class as well as Business Class by simply going to the AA web site and pulling up your booked (not ticketed) flights using the airline Locater Code which does show in your EZ Air reservation. On the EZ-Air reservation that airline "Locator Code" is called "Confirmation" on each specific flight. Why do we know this? Because we recently did it with AA (First Class) flights from Vancouver to PHL....months before being ticketed. And if anyone cares, AA First Class on Domestic flights is anything but "First Class." In fact, its not even decent Business Class...but AA continues to use the "First Class" term.

We ran into a similar situation on some EZ Air flights on Air Canada. Although we booked Business Class, the EZ Air site would not let us book seats prior to ticketing. We tried doing it on Air Canada's site only to have that screened locked out with a notice that the flights had "been booked by a third party." So we simply telephoned Air Canada and ask if we could choose seat assignments and it was no problem.

So this gets back to the original question of why have your flights ticketed prior to the 45 day period? For Business and First Class we can only think of one reason which is to lock-in the price. Some argue that the EZ Air price is not guaranteed until actually ticketed. While this is true we have yet to find anyone who verified that their actual price increased after booking and prior to ticketing. But there are sure plenty of cases where one can get a substantial price reduction by checking the options right up until that 45 day period.

Hank

True. I fly into a mid size city and my flights always get changed a little bit here, a little bit there but it's never been too big a deal and we fly quite a bit. And as long as i get there, i don't care what happens on my way home.

Delta did it unto us big time once....we selected Delta specifically for the particular flight and then, about a week before departure, they canceled the flight and rebooked us on something that would have caused us to miss the cruise! I really don't understand why they would rebook us a day later than we'd chosen. In any event, I called them and got something that would work for us, even though it was a far cry from what I'd booked originally. It totally defeated the purpose for which I'd chosen them originally. Oh well.....

As you noted, most of the time the "flight changes" are a matter of minutes.

We had our flight ticketed early because we wanted to be able to get comfort seats and we couldn't get them on United unless we were ticketed. We just called EZAIr and paid for our flight only at the time, they called United and we were able to upgrade to comfort seats in a matter of minutes. There were only a few comfort seats left but because we paid early we were able to purchase some.

^^^^

Taking this one stage further like Air Canada, Air New Zealand blocks access on their website until the flights are ticketed. Have booked a remarkably low fare from Canada to Brisbane via Auckland for next March.

If I pay for and have the flights ticketed now, include payment for Princess Insurance at the time of final payment, then have to cancel for some totally unforseen circumstance, is the flight cost protected by the insurance.

^^^^

Taking this one stage further like Air Canada, Air New Zealand blocks access on their website until the flights are ticketed. Have booked a remarkably low fare from Canada to Brisbane via Auckland for next March.

If I pay for and have the flights ticketed now, include payment for Princess Insurance at the time of final payment, then have to cancel for some totally unforseen circumstance, is the flight cost protected by the insurance.

As long as you have paid for everything, it is. There have been situations of people paying the amount for the insurance and having Princess apply it as a "general" payment (not buying the insurance) and the person gets burned.

And if you pay for it now, but have to cancel before final payment, it is not protected.

We like to fly with United and can get seats in the class we've selected via the United website. But until it is ticketed, we can't use miles to upgrade. And if the flights cancel when it's just a reservation, you most likely will need to select new flights at the current costs on the EZ Air site. If it is ticketed and is cancelled, you can deal with the airline directly and I can attest to the fact that United is very amenable to moving you to a flight of your choosing (on their airline of course). YMMV but if I have a super low fare, I will ask that it be ticketed quickly.

We ticketed early as British Airways would not let us buy upgrades until it was ticketed. My Husband is 6'5" and we could not chance bad seats on a very long flight.

My husband is 6" 7" so we do the same and I get it!

And if the flights cancel when it's just a reservation, you most likely will need to select new flights at the current costs on the EZ Air site. If it is ticketed and is cancelled, you can deal with the airline directly and I can attest to the fact that United is very amenable to moving you to a flight of your choosing (on their airline of course). YMMV but if I have a super low fare, I will ask that it be ticketed quickly.

This is why I did. I had an amazing rate with United and was able to pick my seats when I reserved them. The price wasn't going to go down. I only have 2 airlines in my town and most flights were getting me back to my town 24 hour later. If my flight was cancelled, I wanted to deal with United directly.

That is not true. AA does allow seat assignments for what they call First Class as well as Business Class by simply going to the AA web site and pulling up your booked (not ticketed) flights using the airline Locater Code which does show in your EZ Air reservation. On the EZ-Air reservation that airline "Locator Code" is called "Confirmation" on each specific flight. Why do we know this? Because we recently did it with AA (First Class) flights from Vancouver to PHL....months before being ticketed. And if anyone cares, AA First Class on Domestic flights is anything but "First Class." In fact, its not even decent Business Class...but AA continues to use the "First Class" term.

We ran into a similar situation on some EZ Air flights on Air Canada. Although we booked Business Class, the EZ Air site would not let us book seats prior to ticketing. We tried doing it on Air Canada's site only to have that screened locked out with a notice that the flights had "been booked by a third party." So we simply telephoned Air Canada and ask if we could choose seat assignments and it was no problem.

So this gets back to the original question of why have your flights ticketed prior to the 45 day period? For Business and First Class we can only think of one reason which is to lock-in the price. Some argue that the EZ Air price is not guaranteed until actually ticketed. While this is true we have yet to find anyone who verified that their actual price increased after booking and prior to ticketing. But there are sure plenty of cases where one can get a substantial price reduction by checking the options right up until that 45 day period.

Hank

What you say may very well be true when flying out of Canada to the US, but AA would not allow our First Class seat assignments on our flight from EWR to PHX until it was paid and ticketed. Could not get it done through EZ Air or AA (both phone and on-line).

We like to fly with United and can get seats in the class we've selected via the United website. But until it is ticketed, we can't use miles to upgrade. And if the flights cancel when it's just a reservation, you most likely will need to select new flights at the current costs on the EZ Air site. If it is ticketed and is cancelled, you can deal with the airline directly and I can attest to the fact that United is very amenable to moving you to a flight of your choosing (on their airline of course). YMMV but if I have a super low fare, I will ask that it be ticketed quickly.

Hmm, that's something to think about....

What you say may very well be true when flying out of Canada to the US, but AA would not allow our First Class seat assignments on our flight from EWR to PHX until it was paid and ticketed. Could not get it done through EZ Air or AA (both phone and on-line).

WOW! Now you have me wondering if there are different rules for different flights. We recently spoke with an AA rep (about another issue) and discussed cruise line air ticketing. The rep told me that the cruise line's air representatives (which are not necessarily the actual cruise line...but can be large air wholesalers) book most flights using very special "bulk" fares. She told me the deals are so strange that even she (an AA supervisor) cannot see the actual pricing on her own monitor, What we find fascinating is that we are able to snag International Business Class flights at a fraction (often 50% or more off) of their normal pricing. On those flights I mentioned (from Vancouver,CA to PHL) we had to call AA to get seats (prior to ticketing). The normal online system blacked us out...but the phone rep was able to override that issue.

Hank

WOW! Now you have me wondering if there are different rules for different flights. We recently spoke with an AA rep (about another issue) and discussed cruise line air ticketing. The rep told me that the cruise line's air representatives (which are not necessarily the actual cruise line...but can be large air wholesalers) book most flights using very special "bulk" fares. She told me the deals are so strange that even she (an AA supervisor) cannot see the actual pricing on her own monitor, What we find fascinating is that we are able to snag International Business Class flights at a fraction (often 50% or more off) of their normal pricing. On those flights I mentioned (from Vancouver,CA to PHL) we had to call AA to get seats (prior to ticketing). The normal online system blacked us out...but the phone rep was able to override that issue.

Hank

The different stories about American and pre-reserved seats are interesting. About 3 days ago, I booked American Business class and the seat assignment was right in the EZ-Air process. I got a great fare and great seat too.

In line with this thread, Prior to one cruise Feb 2017, I did have to go through some hoops using my TA with Princess and Delta because I wanted to pay to upgrade to premium from economy. It required already being ticketed. I was ticketed 3-4 months before final payment. That was the reason for me.

Well well. I decided to go into Delta like I occasionally do and lo and behold there was a flight change, getting my connection in MSP in 2 minutes after my connecting flight leaves. Call Delta and get an earlier flight out of SFO, longer connection in MSP but home at the original time. It was nice to just have to go through Delta and not EZ Air though honestly I don't know if it would have mattered. It's also nice that Princess posts their suggested flight times so I knew that the one I picked was within their guidelines.

My husband is 6" 7" so we do the same and I get it!

At 6'8" I have to book extra leg room. I play the game where I keep an eye on the available seats. If the numbers start to get low, we pay and ticket the seats so we can upgrade.

As a side note, with a cancellation, you might get a refund on the original fare, but the upgrade could be a problem. Ran into this last year.

• 3 weeks later...

So I never used EZAir but am checking it out for a long flight. We usually try and do 1st class, when not cost prohibited, because DH is tall.

So my understanding from here, I couldn't find anything on princess site, is that after I reserve the flight in EZAir, then I got to pay for the tickets to make sure we get the seats we want. Is that correct? I gather I have to call Princess EZAir to pay? And is this spelled out anywhere? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk