Do you buy travel health insurance ?

Kevnzworld

My mother recently suffered a fall aboard a Viking ship and had to be air evacuated off. It made me think of all of my sea travels without any travel insurance .I'm considering purchasing insurance for my upcoming 72 day Sojourn cruise, any recommendations?

Thanks. Kevin

My mother recently suffered a fall aboard a Viking ship and had to be air evacuated off. It made me think of all of my sea travels without any travel insurance .I'm considering purchasing insurance for my upcoming 72 day Sojourn cruise, any recommendations?

Thanks. Kevin

Are you referring to trip air repatriation insurance or medical treatment abroad? Also, was your mom helicoptered from the ship, or air evacuated from an airport? Hope she is ok.

Thanks. Kevin

Yes, we always have Travel Insurance - a broken leg one holiday and last year a trip that had to be cancelled due to ill health. Our Credit card entitles us to free travel insurance and they paid up without a fuss both times.

Thanks. Kevin

Definitely yes, but you may have to shop around for best prices. I've used it a few times for sinus infections and it's a good thing to: If I didn't, I would have spent my vacation in the cabin. The last time it happened, I had been sick for a while and I have chronic sinusitis. I went to my doctor a week before the trip and said "I think I have a sinus infection, can I get some medication?" They told me I had a "sinus irritation", gave me allergy meds and told me I would be ok by the cruise. Five days later, I'm stuck in my cabin, dehydrated, and too weak to get up. When I finally mustered the strength to make it down to the infirmary, they took one 3 min. look at me and told me what I had known all along: I had a sinus infection! They gave me amoxicillin and I was better by the time I flew home, 4 days later!

Sent from my LGL22C using Forums mobile app

Our Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card covers trip insurance up to $10,000 per person and has evacuation coverage, too. However in our opinion it doesn’t have enough medical insurance for our international trips and our US health insurance doesn’t cover us overseas. I always go to squaremouth and get quotes for medical insurance only. For my recent 12-day Odyssey cruise my policy cost $20 and my 89-year old mom’s cost $77. I used two different agencies since that was cheaper than getting them from the same agency. For my recent 6-day Grand Cayman trip, my policy cost $16 and I actually used it when I went to urgent care ($263) for an ear infection! We don’t buy the insurance for urgent care needs but it covers it so I filed the claim. We never travel outside the US without buying “travel” medical insurance since we don’t want to experience a heart attack or gallstone attack or some other “major” issue without insurance.

Yes we buy health insurance.

We use insuremytrip.com to look for plans. It offers an easy comparison.

In addition to health insurance which in most cases includes evacuation insurance we also take an annual evacuation policy from MedjetAssist. It offers more flexibility in the event you have to be evacuated from land back home or do another place for medical attention. With an AARP membership (and if you don't have AARP the discount pays for the membership and more) we get a discount.

When it comes to other things like the credit card programs which by the way can really be terrific especially for canceling the cruise due to medical or other family issues the devil is in the details so I would read what they offer word for word.

Keith