Azamara renting out rooms?

kaymoz

Just read a cruise review about Azamara that included this comment:

".... I also found the art auction offensive since it interfered with my experience. This cruise line rents out rooms and that limits your personal experience. "

I recalled reading elsewhere about areas of the ships repeatedly closed with signs indicating 'reserved for private group', while other comments have mentioned "affinity groups" on the ships.

Managing expectations is always important, so I am trying to put all this together and wondering if someone experienced with Azamara can provide some insight.

The only time I have seen that was on one cruise where there was a group of medics on board and a couple of times there was a sign in the entrance to the Cabaret Lounge that a private group was meeting in there. It didn’t interfere with anyone’s enjoyment as the Cabaret Lounge is not a room you would want to sit in unless you were there for a purpose.

Azamara no longer have art auctions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Perhaps the OP misunderstood what was going on. When you have a large group, they can reserve space for group meetings or cocktail parties. If they're a group with a lot of meetings or seminars, they can use up space during the day quite a bit but I think this is pretty rare that they do it on a consistent basis.

If the OP has been on Journey recently there have been a lot of times that spaces have been taken out for events for the World Journey group - much more than you have on other cruises. There were however no Art Auctions, there were Art seminars but no selling at these events.

If the OP has been on Journey recently there have been a lot of times that spaces have been taken out for events for the World Journey group - much more than you have on other cruises. There were however no Art Auctions, there were Art seminars but no selling at these events.

At one point last summer the Art Group took over the Drawing Room for an activity, and I agree it was probably more seminar than auction though we left before activities commenced.

Not a problem for us and the whole Art presence on board has been decidedly low key.

We were part of the PerryGolf group on Quest last month, and the first night we had a cocktail reception in the Cabaret Lounge, another night we had a private dinner on the Patio, and on the last night we had cocktails in the library. We also attended a travel network's cocktail party in the library and dinner in Prime C. Then, of course, there was the Meet and Mingle and the LCV cocktail party.

I think many of us can post details of special events at different times in different venues, but this can give the impression that certain areas of the ship are regularly off limits on all the cruises. I can honestly say that whilst some will post they tried to go somewhere and couldn’t and occasionally it happens, generally Azamara are very sensible in accommodating these events so as to cause as little impact as possible. It just takes a little flexibility to work around it if it does happen.

Phil

I have experienced private events at the library. No idea for what reason. It had interfered with my plan since I was not able to access the library.

Ivi

Likewise, on a number of occasions I have been unable to access the Library.

On Journey, for cocktail parties or religious services, they now partition off half the library so the rest remains available, these only last 30 mins or so. The one night each cruise you lose the Library is when the top suites dinner, Best of the Best is on. As Phil says it’s a simple work around that’s inevitable on a smaller ship. There are other places to sit and read, if it’s a book swap you want timing it late morning or mid afternoon should do the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are probably several ways to go around it, if you find a venue closed due to a private event. That is not the issue imho. The OP wanted to know if there were venues being closed for all cruisers due to private events. The answer is yes, this happens. Does it interfere with ones plans? Yes it does. It is something really annoying? Not for me really.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin