Which Ship to Try Next?

Berk987

We did Eurodam Nov 2008. Westerdam Nov 2009. Nieuw Am Dec 2010.

Done most of the ports already. Travelling with 2 families. 4 adults and 4 kids under 7 by this Fall. Looked at the itinerary for Nov 2011 and seems to be the same as this year or last. Same ships, same islands. I'm trying to convince our families to go cruising again. Between the 3 ships (two of which were just a few months old when we boarded), I liked the Eurodam the best. Food too. Nieu Am food was OK. Hit or miss. Often very salty to the point where my lips would pout out like Angelina Jolie from too much sodium. We had fun on all 3 cruises so would like to cruise again on HAL but same ships and same itineraries? That's a tough sell for the family. Suggestions? Thanks.

Done most of the ports already. Travelling with 2 families. 4 adults and 4 kids under 7 by this Fall. Looked at the itinerary for Nov 2011 and seems to be the same as this year or last. Same ships, same islands. I'm trying to convince our families to go cruising again. Between the 3 ships (two of which were just a few months old when we boarded), I liked the Eurodam the best. Food too. Nieu Am food was OK. Hit or miss. Often very salty to the point where my lips would pout out like Angelina Jolie from too much sodium. We had fun on all 3 cruises so would like to cruise again on HAL but same ships and same itineraries? That's a tough sell for the family. Suggestions? Thanks.

I hate the dilemma you have!!! And I cannot believe I am suggesting this, but...

Might I suggest, that you check other cruise lines?? They might have different itineraries that you could be happier doing, and the ships would definitely be different:)

Not trying to be facetious or anything, but if you are going to have a hard sell to the rest of the family give them a few options.

Joanie

I agree with Joanie.

There are plenty of choices out there, and the best way to find your proverbial niche is to experiment as much as you want.

Cunard has good itineraries to Europe, and beyond. And if you're traveling with children, they have a great program on board for the tots. (With nannies, no less.)

Good luck!

:)

I hate the dilemma you have!!! And I cannot believe I am suggesting this, but...

Might I suggest, that you check other cruise lines?? They might have different itineraries that you could be happier doing, and the ships would definitely be different:)

Not trying to be facetious or anything, but if you are going to have a hard sell to the rest of the family give them a few options.

Joanie

Right on. IMHO, everyone should at least try multiple cruise lines. You might find one you like and you might end up appreciating what you have a lot more. You'll never know if you don't try. BTW, my 2 favorite cruise lines are polar opposites of each other.

Roy

Done most of the ports already.

Are you kidding???

This month will be my 6th Caribbean cruise (13th cruise overall) and there are STILL several Caribbean islands I haven't been to yet!

Look at longer itineraries, different times of year and different parts of the world (Alaska? Europe? Mexico?) before you say "Done most of the ports."

If you can cruise in spring/summer/fall, look at Maasdam's Canada/New England cruise. It is seven days from Boston to Montreal or the return with six ports in seven days. GREAT itinerary. One of HAL's best short ones IMO and a fabulous ship and outstanding crew.

Right on. IMHO, everyone should at least try multiple cruise lines. You might find one you like and you might end up appreciating what you have a lot more. You'll never know if you don't try. BTW, my 2 favorite cruise lines are polar opposites of each other.

Roy

Might I ask what your 2 favorites are? Just curious :-)

There's an 11 day that does the ABC islands and the Panama Canal in the fall. great itinerary on the Zuiderdam.

There are still islands we haven't visited, and islands we've been to several times. We're not done with the Caribbean by a long shot!

There are lots of ports. mind you at that time of the year we are normally in europe, but there is a lot to see. suggest that you take a look at some of the smaller ships and their itineraries too.

I'm a HAL fan and the NA was nice, but I don't think I would go back on her (don't flame me please) not when i compare her to the other HAL ships.

and definitely take a look. if you are in 7 day cruises, they can limit. I would at least try a 10 day. The longer the cruise, normally, the better value for your money. I won't go on anything shorter than a 10 day now (and that is really pushing it).

I'm sure you can find something out there with all these ports and places to see :)

There's an 11 day that does the ABC islands and the Panama Canal in the fall. great itinerary on the Zuiderdam.

Since you are looking for November, this would also be my suggestion. We did this Zuiderdam cruise in Nov 2010 though it was just ten days.

You could enjoy a visit to the Panama Canal, one of the wonders of the world and one of the greatest engineering achievements ever? Visits to Aruba, Curacao, and Costa Rica fill out the other days, not to mention Half Moon Cay. It was a great ten days.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for your suggestion. We are limited to November and since we are pulling the kids out of school and we all have to work also, I don't know if I can "sell" 10 days but would love to try. So far HAL is the least expense for us. Kids have been paying either $75 or $99 + taxes.

Princess and Celebrity are much more expensive. We won't do Disney or Carnival. If we like HAL, do you think we will like Royal Caribbean or Norweigan better? One of those, my sister won't go on again but I can't remembe which one. Yes, we are limiting ourselves but our 5 YO is still in private school (tuition) and we're support my in-laws full time so we can't swing an expensive cruise at this time. Thanks again. I'll keep checking...you never know what's going to turn up between now and November.

BTW ...Bill B. would love to do the 112 world cruise but what do I do about my boss, school and my azhelmier (sp??) in-laws? ;)

must play the lottery tomorrow so I can win and chuck it all and sail away.

Are you kidding???

This month will be my 6th Caribbean cruise (13th cruise overall) and there are STILL several Caribbean islands I haven't been to yet!

Look at longer itineraries, different times of year and different parts of the world (Alaska? Europe? Mexico?) before you say "Done most of the ports."

We'll also be on our 6th Caribbean cruise which will have four brand new ports fo us and two we haven't been to for 13 years. We've never taken exactly the same itinerary on any of our cruises, managing usually to add at least a couple of new ports on each cruise. Every time we think we've pretty well run the table on new islands we find an itinerary that adds new ones. Of course we prefer the smaller R and S class ships and they do go to the relatively smaller islands. I've not paid much attention to it but maybe if you limit yourself to the Vista and Signature class ships you limit the island selection a bit.

Thanks everyone for your suggestion. We are limited to November and since we are pulling the kids out of school and we all have to work also, I don't know if I can "sell" 10 days but would love to try.

I know what you mean about 10 vs 7 days but one of the departures for the Zuiderdam ten-day will include the Thanksgiving weekend. Would that mean less time off school for your kids and less time off work for you?

We'll also be on our 6th Caribbean cruise which will have four brand new ports fo us and two we haven't been to for 13 years. We've never taken exactly the same itinerary on any of our cruises, managing usually to add at least a couple of new ports on each cruise. Every time we think we've pretty well run the table on new islands we find an itinerary that adds new ones. Of course we prefer the smaller R and S class ships and they do go to the relatively smaller islands. I've not paid much attention to it but maybe if you limit yourself to the Vista and Signature class ships you limit the island selection a bit.

Indeed -

Despite having been to certain of the islands - such as St Thomas and St Maartin - multiple times, I always manage to discover something which I haven't seen or experienced before with each and every visit.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for your suggestion. We are limited to November and since we are pulling the kids out of school and we all have to work also, I don't know if I can "sell" 10 days but would love to try. So far HAL is the least expense for us. Kids have been paying either $75 or $99 + taxes.

Princess and Celebrity are much more expensive. We won't do Disney or Carnival. If we like HAL, do you think we will like Royal Caribbean or Norweigan better? One of those, my sister won't go on again but I can't remembe which one. Yes, we are limiting ourselves but our 5 YO is still in private school (tuition) and we're support my in-laws full time so we can't swing an expensive cruise at this time. Thanks again. I'll keep checking...you never know what's going to turn up between now and November.

BTW ...Bill B. would love to do the 112 world cruise but what do I do about my boss, school and my azhelmier (sp??) in-laws? ;)

must play the lottery tomorrow so I can win and chuck it all and sail away.

Hello fellow cruiser! We really should have a conversation offline, WAYYYY too much to write. So here's a little about me: DH is in his early 50's and I am late 40's. We have one child, 5-yr-old boy. Took our first cruise ever for all of us last March at Spring Break. Have taken three others since, about to do our 5th cruise this March, considering HAL for the first time. Here is what we have done already:

3.10, Celebrity Century

5.10, Celebrity Solstice

9.10, Emerald Princess

1.11, Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas

3.11, thinking about HAL Nieuw Amsterdam (which is how I found you)

So - I have LOTS and LOTS of opinions about cruise lines, ships, itineraries and all stem from having a small child and wanting to make sure we are all accommodated. And we too will likely cruise next Nov. One of the best deals I've seen is the Royal Caribbean Mariner out of Galveston. It's off-season, leaves Vet's Day, 11.11.11 (wow, didn't realize that was the date). Anyhoo - is 9 nights and afforable. Again, I could go on and on as to what/when/where/best value, etc... Feel free to email me direct and give me your particulars -- basically, what part of the country you are in and I can share with you all my information I have gathered in the last year. I review every cruise line, every room category, every kid program...ad nauseum. Very analytical and we found that we LOVE cruising so want to get all we can out of each adventure. Am happy to share what I've learned if you'd like to reach out - techsearch@msn.com.

NOW -- my question for you I think I already saw answered by you elsewhere....is about children on HAL and how the Kids Club was for them. We are looking at the HAL Nieuw Am for March 11, I want to be sure there will be some kids on board and that the Club Hal takes their job seriously and really makes an effort to include/engage the kids. SO far, of the cruises we've been on...RC by FAR did the best job of keeping him entertained, a close 2nd was Celebrity. Princess was not so good. LOVED our Princess cruise, the ship, the food, the cabin...and kid club was ok but not near as good as RC and Celebrity. Thank you in advance for anything you can add. And again, please feel free to reach out direct and I'll share my vast knowledge of one year of cruising and intense research! Happy cruising!

Archived