Peanut and Treenut Allergy Help!!!

cvasto

I know this is last minute, but things have been a bit hectic recently. My 7 year old has a tree nut, peanut and raw egg (mayo) allergy. How hard will it be in windjammer to find nut free options? Does anyone who has peanut or tree nut allergies been on the Anthem of the seas and have some advice for me? Any info from any RCCL cruise would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the last minute post as we set sail tomorrow!

PS It is the first cruise for my 7 year old and 5 year old!

You don't want to eat in a buffet with those allergies due to cross contamination. You need to plan meals. Talk to the dining manager as soon as you board.

If those are life threatening allergies, you simply cannot walk into a buffet and chance that.

My grandson has peanut and egg allergies. You need to set up your meals in the dining rooms or they might be able to do what they do at disney, bring food out specially made for him up in the buffet.

People pick up things and drop them. put them back etc...its not safe to eat from the buffet.

Good Luck. I'm not sure how rccl handles it, but I'm sure they are used to it.

My husband has nut and egg allergies... we found that the windjammer is brilliant for him. They label the allergies in there now.. and most of the time things with nuts and eggs are not at the same station as foods he wants to eat, so we have had no trouble.

Main dining room is good as long as you stick to the same waiter and order the meal the day before.. however avoid dessert in there as my husband had a cross contamination happen with his cheese plate and had to quickly have an epipen injection and an hour or so in the ships hospital! As the dining room Is catering in the kitchens for so many people mistakes are more likely to happen.. we still go in the main dining room and pre-order the night before, but just avoid any form of dessert.

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I can share my experience with you. My son also has a peanut allergy as well he can't eat anything processed in a facility that also uses peanuts. We cruised on RCCL Anthem 2 years ago. I contacted special needs and had it noted on my reservation but when we got there the staff knew nothing. That was actually ok because I was going to tell everyone anyway.

Windjammer: We avoided desserts except for the soft serve by the pool. No issues with food. We did not do any chocolate chip muffins. We stuck to yogurts, cereals, fruits, waffles, pancakes etc. There is a ton to eat in the windjammer that will be fine.

Park Cafe: They had Udi gluten free cookies behind the counter that were individually wrapped and those were fine--had ingredients etc.

Sorrento's: pizza galore!!!

MDR: We made sure to have traditional dining so we had the same wait staff every night. He ate ice cream for dessert. They did not serve any ice cream with peanut butter so we did not have to worry about cross-contamination

Kids Club: They noted the allergy and we left an epipen with them. I believe they did have the option to bring the kids to meals but we always would get him at meal time.

My son was 7 at the time and we became aware of his allergy since he was 18mths old so he is very aware of what he can and can't eat. He can check labels to see if they are processed etc. He knows he can't eat certain pretzels, some gummy bears, candy corn...etc.

My other tips is to bring his favorite desserts with you! Cookies, candy etc. We went on a cruise that was over Easter so we brought him a special small Easter basket.

Enjoy the cruise. You all will have a great time!

My husband has nut and egg allergies... we found that the windjammer is brilliant for him. They label the allergies in there now.. and most of the time things with nuts and eggs are not at the same station as foods he wants to eat, so we have had no trouble.

Main dining room is good as long as you stick to the same waiter and order the meal the day before.. however avoid dessert in there as my husband had a cross contamination happen with his cheese plate and had to quickly have an epipen injection and an hour or so in the ships hospital! As the dining room Is catering in the kitchens for so many people mistakes are more likely to happen.. we still go in the main dining room and pre-order the night before, but just avoid any form of dessert.

Hope this helps

They label some but they do not label ALL of the potential allergens. My wife has a peanut allergy, not life threatening but she gets an instant migraine. Last month on Adventure she grabbed a cannoli from the dessert bar. When she got back to the table with it, I snuck a bite before she did. That was the best thing I did the entire cruise. The cannoli was filled with peanut butter! I went back up to check the label and all it said was "chocolate covered cannoli", no mention of peanuts whatsoever.

They label some but they do not label ALL of the potential allergens. My wife has a peanut allergy, not life threatening but she gets an instant migraine. Last month on Adventure she grabbed a cannoli from the dessert bar. When she got back to the table with it, I snuck a bite before she did. That was the best thing I did the entire cruise. The cannoli was filled with peanut butter! I went back up to check the label and all it said was "chocolate covered cannoli", no mention of peanuts whatsoever.
That's terrible! If she had a reaction the cruise line would have been at fault!

This is why we avoid the desserts. Well my husband does, I love them. We bring lots of Cadburys chocolate bars so he has that as his dessert.. we also bring Jacobs crackers, so he ca. Get his own cheese and know the crackers are fine.

They are great with allergies. I have similar stuff to say as most people, except on desserts. I have a treenut allergy and avoid Windjammer desserts. In the MDR if you order your meal the night before, ask if you can order a chef's choice dessert. These have always been amazing and 100% safe. As long as your waiters know about the allergies you should be fine.

Just another thought. If there is something that is safe on the buffet but surrounded by not safe stuff, ask the chef behind the line for a "fresh" serving due to allergies. They will get a serving from a dish that has not been out yet so the risk of cross contamination is much lower (I won't say won't exist since I haven't been in the galley, but you don't need to worry about people that use the same utensils in 20 dishes :)).

I have been on Anthem six times. I have a tree nut allergy and go over the next day’s menu at dinner the night before. The chef even made me my own dessert. One night I had a completely different meal than the rest of my group and it was great and fresh! I am very careful with desserts because you never know. Usually stick to ice cream or sherbet. At the Windjammer I avoid food that is next to something with nuts, and I check with the staff if I am unsure. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seeing as OP is sailing tomorrow it's too late to contact special needs. Would suggest going to MDR and discussing with dining room manager as soon as they board. Might be hectic and hard to do, however, again OP doesn't say how serious the allergy is - life threatening? Would not trust Windjammer with a serious allergy.

Just another thought. If there is something that is safe on the buffet but surrounded by not safe stuff, ask the chef behind the line for a "fresh" serving due to allergies. They will get a serving from a dish that has not been out yet so the risk of cross contamination is much lower (I won't say won't exist since I haven't been in the galley, but you don't need to worry about people that use the same utensils in 20 dishes :)).

And also if you DO see a blatant cross-contamination happen, alert them immediately and they'll take care of it. On Brilliance a couple of years ago, I was at the gluten-free pod getting my breakfast. Some boys - clearly NOT gluten-free based on the bread products all over their plates - I guess decided the bacon on our pod looked better (or just didn't want to walk over to the non-gluten-free pod to get some) and while getting it knocked one of their biscuits into the tray. They picked it up with the tongs and went on their way. DOUBLE cross-contamination risk there. I was about to let the crew member in the pod know, but he had seen enough of it that he immediately took the tongs and the tray away and asked me if I'd seen them touch anything else, which I hadn't. He just happened to turn around as they were dropping the biscuit back onto their plate so he saw that. He took tray and tongs to the back and came out with a covered fresh pan and tongs.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. We talked to the head waiter and she was able to take care of us. We got ordered breakfast and dinner a day in advance. We also were able to order desserts for lunch and dinner. For lunch my son stuck to hot dogs which were safe. The cruise staff handled this problem very very well and my family was very grateful. :D

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. We talked to the head waiter and she was able to take care of us. We got ordered breakfast and dinner a day in advance. We also were able to order desserts for lunch and dinner. For lunch my son stuck to hot dogs which were safe. The cruise staff handled this problem very very well and my family was very grateful. :D

That's great! I hope you had a wonderful cruise!