Mosquitos an issue?

BearcatCruisn

Has anyone noticed any mosquito issues? We are Eastern Caribbean at end of June. Don’t want to pack spray if not needed

Yes. You should definitely pack it and make sure you use the kind that contains DEET.

Sailed the Caribbean many, many times and never use mosquito spray - have never gotten bitten by a mosquito and I am the type that gets bit a lot in my backyard! I think it depends mostly on what you plan to do - if you are out in the areas of high vegetation definitely bring your DEET. If you are on the beach or just walking around town or generally sightseeing your odds of getting bit are very low - you need to decide if a low risk warrants no repellant.

I'm not in the demographic that needs to worry about Zika, but dengue and chikungunya are also of concern in these areas. I'll continue to use mosquito repellant preventively, rather than regret not using it later.

In our experience, sunscreen is far more important than bug spray...but we don't go hiking in the woods at dawn/dusk when the critters are looking for food :)

I volunteer at a botanical garden in south florida, so I am, unfortunately and not by choice, an expert on mosquitos :) I use https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP544-Repellent-Picaridin/dp/B0015KG5NK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524517190&sr=8-3&keywords=sawyer+insect+repellent which keeps me mosquito free. You can also get Avon wipes with Picaridin, but they only have 10% vs 20% active ingredients.

So, the CDC lists the entire Caribbean, Central America, and Mexico at risk of Zika below 6500 feet (the range of the mosquito). Not including Dengue and Chickungunya, spread by the same mosquito. The CDC recommends repellant for all travelers in those areas. The Andes mosquito bites in the daytime and lives near people.

Your choice whether to follow the advice of one of the world’s leading public health organizations, or a bunch of anonymous people on the internet.

As someone who has had dengue fever, I can tell you having insect spray is way better than taking a chance and not have it. There is just no sure fire way to predict if a particular disease carrying mosquito is headed your way or not. Why risk it? No one can promise you there won't be a mosquito where you are going.