Specialty Dining

RebelAthena

Hello! My family and I -- 6 adults and 2 kids -- cruise in September 2017 on the Liberty (our first cruise), and I'm trying to decide whether Chef's Table and/or the Steakhouse is worth the additional cost. I understand that "worth it" is a relative term, but we live in Atlanta with a huge selection of amazing places to eat; in short, I'm trying to discern whether we save the money for other experiences.

Additionally, presuming that we want to have an adults-only dinner, how would we make sure that the kids eat a hot meal? I see that the Kids' Camp offers kid-appropriate foods during meal times, but is that the only way that we could have the kids eat? What I'm trying to learn is the mechanics of how the kids would eat if we decide to eat separately.

Hello! My family and I -- 6 adults and 2 kids -- cruise in September 2017 on the Liberty (our first cruise), and I'm trying to decide whether Chef's Table and/or the Steakhouse is worth the additional cost. I understand that "worth it" is a relative term, but we live in Atlanta with a huge selection of amazing places to eat; in short, I'm trying to discern whether we save the money for other experiences.

Additionally, presuming that we want to have an adults-only dinner, how would we make sure that the kids eat a hot meal? I see that the Kids' Camp offers kid-appropriate foods during meal times, but is that the only way that we could have the kids eat? What I'm trying to learn is the mechanics of how the kids would eat if we decide to eat separately.

I can't answer any of your questions regarding kids, but I can tell you that I have done the Chef's table (on the Conquest) and the Steakhouse on all the ships I've been on and to me they are definitely worth it.

Happy Sailing!

DH and I have done the Chef's Table on the Vista. The timing works perfectly with kids club - we sent the kids to dinner with the kids club at 6, then they stayed the evening session from 7-10, and we were there to sign them out at 10 pm. Camp Ocean prints out the kid dinner menu in advance (it's a fixed selection). If that doesn't work, then you can take them to the buffet early, and just send them to the dinner with the kids and have them eat dessert.

They eat with other kids at Camp Carnival. We had a tough time tearing our kid away. Believe me, to most kids, especially little ones, pizza, hot dogs, and chicken strips are much better than the MDR.

I have never done the Chef's Table. I am not a very adventurous eater, so I don't think it is worth it for me. I did the Steakhouse for the first time a few cruises back. I only did it because I had a lot of OBC from ES price drops that I had to use up. It was so good, that I make sure to eat there at least once per cruise now. It is way better than the MDR and much better than mid range chain steakhouses like Outback, Longhorn, Roadhouse, etc.

I have never done the Chef's Table. I am not a very adventurous eater, so I don't think it is worth it for me. I did the Steakhouse for the first time a few cruises back. I only did it because I had a lot of OBC from ES price drops that I had to use up. It was so good, that I make sure to eat there at least once per cruise now. It is way better than the MDR and much better than mid range chain steakhouses like Outback, Longhorn, Roadhouse, etc.

Yay! This is sort of what I was looking to hear -- I just didn't want to pay $35/pp for an Outback Steakhouse equivalent.

We have taken our son to the steakhouse since he was 9. They have a children's menu at a reduced rate and we made sure he had things to occupy him so he wasn't disruptive.

Yes...It is only like $10/15. My son had the filet (I think his was 4 oz) and he said it was the perfect size and the best steak he has ever eaten. Since then, he has turned 13 and grown a foot...so even at $35, it will be well worth the money.

The steakhouse is a fantastic bargain. If you have eaten at Ruth's Chris in Atlanta, this is a comparable experience. Never had a steak short of delicious, the sauces are magnificent as is the creamed spinach, wasabi mashed potatoes and the lobster.

It was a great way to introduce our boys to some upscale food without a $500 dinner tab. We will book the steakhouse every time one is available. But if you want the adults only experience, as others have said, just make your reservation for 6:15 pm and drop the kids at camp on the Lido at 6. They will take them straight to camp after the meal and keep them no charge until 10.

I would not recommend the chefs table for younger eaters, unless they are extremely adventurous eaters. There is not a menu to choose from, it is preset, and every thing is extremely involved. They also keep the wine coming the entire night, so you might end up with a bunch of drunk people there..

If you are looking for a great dinning experience the chefs table is really worth it. I have now done it 3 times. I just dont see many younger kids being interested in even half of the food you would be paying $75 and up a person for.

Speciality dining including chefs table are 100% worth it to us. We do steakhouse on every cruise and Chefs Table a couple times. Steakhouse is nothing like Roadhouse/ Outback, much better in flavor and ambiance.

Our kids have always liked eating with the camp. If you feel they aren't getting enough you can always take them to the buffet, pizza, room service, Guys burgers or whatever else eateries are on your ship(Mongolian wok, Tandoor, pasta...). But that really isn't necessary.

Have done Chef's Table on Royal Caribbean -- very much worth it, but it does take quite a while and is rather involved, so your kids might not appreciate it.

Just got off the NCL Escape, also with 6 adults and 2 kids (8 & 6). We ate at specialty restaurants, with our kids, 4 of the 7 nights and each time was enjoyable. The specialty restaurants seem to take about 30 minutes more, overall, than the MDR, but if your kids are occupied, they aren't bothered by that. If you think they will be, book a slightly later time at the steakhouse and/or Chef's Table, perhaps 7pm, and, like others have said, either take them to the buffet for dinner or let them eat at Camp Ocean.

OMG! It's all a matter of personal perspective. If "mid range" restaurants are Outback, Longhorn and Roadhouse, I would hate to see what low end in your area equates to.

In NYC, Chicago and San Fran, these 3 would be low end for sure. Ruth's is a mid class and Morton's a bit better and Peter Lugar's is in our higher end tier.

As to the OP's question, whether the Chef's Table is worth it, is definitely a matter of personal perspective. See my comment above. I've never eaten at the Chef's Table since I don't drink alcohol, but I enjoy a good meal at the Steakhouse.every cruise.

OMG! It's all a matter of personal perspective. If "mid range" restaurants are Outback, Longhorn and Roadhouse, I would hate to see what low end in your area equates to.

In NYC, Chicago and San Fran, these 3 would be low end for sure. Ruth's is a mid class and Morton's a bit better and Peter Lugar's is in our higher end tier.

As to the OP's question, whether the Chef's Table is worth it, is definitely a matter of personal perspective. See my comment above. I've never eaten at the Chef's Table since I don't drink alcohol, but I enjoy a good meal at the Steakhouse.every cruise.

Did you seriously just respond to my post to insult me? I do not live in NYC, Chicago, or San Fran where we have 5,000 restaurants to choose from. Where I am, Longhorn and Outback are your standard, everyday middle of the road steakhouses.

Did you seriously just respond to my post to insult me? I do not live in NYC, Chicago, or San Fran where we have 5,000 restaurants to choose from. Where I am, Longhorn and Outback are your standard, everyday middle of the road steakhouses.

The Steakhouse on Carnival ships are better that any chain steakhouses youve named in my honest opinion and the service is incredible. Well worth the 35.00 per person. Do it. You wont be disappointed :) Just put it this way. I enjoyed my meal more on Carnival Magics Prime steakhouse than the last time I went to Ruths Chris and it only cost me about 1/3rd the price :)

Ok, I am going to get a bit "snarky" here. To me (I live in Los Angeles) "mid range" are Outback, Longhorn etc... Because low end is "fast food" to me! I have never eaten at Ruth Chris but have friends who love it! I love Morton's and eat there when our pocketbook and situation warrant it! Don't have and never heard of Peter Lugar's so can't comment. We have numerous other Steak Houses and some are "mid range" and they are very, very good so food is subjective as well what your definition of classes of restaurants are! BUT, the Steak house on the ships are worth it, IMHO ;)

Wasn't an insult, just a matter of perspective.

I'm from Kansas, where your steak may have come from, and here those restaurants are mid to high mid range (Longhorn) here. There aren't a whole lot of nicer steak places to go. Cost of living differences I'm sure play a part. Our 2400 sq foot home with a good sized lot would have only been 600 a month if we had done a 30 year mortgage. Many people in Kansas live on under 20,000 a year so $100 steak dinners aren't exactly in their budget when they might take home less than $1000 a month.