Is it best to book and keep an eye out for price drops or wait for a sale?

Cafedumonde

I would book and watch for price drops. It's very easy to work with HAL and/or your TA to do that especially before final payment. The price could go up (as all of ours have done the last few years). The last great sale we got was when we went to Egypt years ago because people were canceling right and left.

Once I find a fare that I am comfortable with I go ahead and book it (normally select my cabin at that time - the earlier the better for selection). I monitor fares and promotions and just rebook if I find a better deal (up to final payment).

I have yet to find an improved deal after final payment (strange I know) but if I did I would call HAL and ask what they can do for me. Remember that after final payment most of the "deals" involve booking a guarantee, which I generally do not do.

In Sept 2015 I had a confirmed inside on Eurodam Canada NE 10 nights. I watched pricing and I called 7 days before sailing to see what upgrades were available. I was told to call back 2 days prior to sailing. for 26 pp I was able to go from an inside to an Handicap Obstruted OV. I was quite happy with that, as there was lots of room in the new room. I am considering booking the Oct 17 2018 11 night Vancouver to San Diego, but I am having sticker shock on the inside pricing of $3455 CAD for 2 people.. I paid 2735 CAD$ for the 10 Night Can NE in 2015 and that included the insane taxes that are applied in Canada and also higher taxes for the NYC disembarkation. I would like to hope that if I book this itinerary that a price drop could occur. From what I have been reading on CC , it seems if you book direct with HAL that they will still let up upgrade after final pymt if prices drop. Anyone done a west coast repo in the Sept Oct with HAL and have any insight on price drops.

One more question.... does HAL still allow you to buy a bottle of liquor for the room. Last HAL may 2016, pre ordered 1 bottle of vodka to the room ( cost approx $40 USD)and carried aboard 2 bottles of wine. What is the current situation on pre purchasing bottle for the stateroom

Thanks

Depends on how flexible you are and what itinerary you want.

The 7and 14 day trips on standard routes like the Caribbean, transatlantic, Alaska, and Med where there is lots of competition will sometimes see amazing price reductions from the final payment date to sail date. The more competition from other cruise lines the better are your chances of scoring a great deal.

Don't book through HAL as you will pay more than you necessary. Book with a TA who will rebate one of the commission back to you in the form of On Board Credits or can add you to a group or group discount.

Of course cabin selection may be limited or gty and you need to monitor air if this is a requirement for you.

In Sept 2015 I had a confirmed inside on Eurodam Canada NE 10 nights. I watched pricing and I called 7 days before sailing to see what upgrades were available. I was told to call back 2 days prior to sailing. for 26 pp I was able to go from an inside to an Handicap Obstruted OV. I was quite happy with that, as there was lots of room in the new room. I am considering booking the Oct 17 2018 11 night Vancouver to San Diego, but I am having sticker shock on the inside pricing of $3455 CAD for 2 people.. I paid 2735 CAD$ for the 10 Night Can NE in 2015 and that included the insane taxes that are applied in Canada and also higher taxes for the NYC disembarkation. I would like to hope that if I book this itinerary that a price drop could occur. From what I have been reading on CC , it seems if you book direct with HAL that they will still let up upgrade after final pymt if prices drop. Anyone done a west coast repo in the Sept Oct with HAL and have any insight on price drops.

Exactly what cruise are you looking at for Oct 18, 2018?? I see an 11 day on Oct. 17, 2018 cruise from Vancouver to San Diego on the Eurodam for a much lower Inside fare of $1999 (for 2) in US$.

Also, I have done several West Coast repos and generally the prices do not drop much (if at all), especially in the higher priced cabins. This is because they are normally fairly low prices to start with, plus they do tend to fill up.

Once I find a fare that I am comfortable with I go ahead and book it (normally select my cabin at that time - the earlier the better for selection). I monitor fares and promotions and just rebook if I find a better deal (up to final payment).

I have yet to find an improved deal after final payment (strange I know) but if I did I would call HAL and ask what they can do for me. Remember that after final payment most of the "deals" involve booking a guarantee, which I generally do not do.

We do the same thing. I generally keep an eye on prices for cruises that we are interested in doing in the near future so I have an idea of what the lowest and average prices are.

We have had numerous better deals after final payment. In one instance we booked early. We cancelled the day prior to final payment and the rebooked inside the final payment window. Ended up in a better cabin with a $500 plus savings for us on a 14 day itinerary.

This is purely a supply and demand game. Same as airfare and hotels. It is a total crap shoot. We have seen prices increase after final payment, decrease, and go up and down for periods as little as 24 hours. Trick is to keep an eye on competing cruise line ships and pricing to see what they are doing. We establish a desired buy price for a verandah. When it hits, we buy. We stop looking at that point. IF you are waiting for the lowest price chances are you will be vacationing at home.

Edited by iancal

I called the end of December after final payment on our March cruise, because the price was lower for our cabin category.

They offered me a $200 credit toward a future cruise, OR a Haven Suite upgrade for $600 more, OR a better location in an ocean view for no extra money. We took the zero cost option and got an unobstructed view cabin.

You need to be careful with many of the so called sales on all cruise lines.

Often they are nothing more than repackaging to make the price appear more attractive. Sometimes by adding or taking away certain bundled options.

We always place our own value on the options, ie we do not accept the value that the cruise line implies. We take every price down to the net price to us of the cabin.

Thank you for your responses.... I live in Canada so pay in CAD $$...while the official exchange is about 1.26 its actually more like 1.29 unless you are an institutional investor... I have used TAs in the past , and some I have been happy with others not so much. There is not much competition on this route in October. Seabourn has an 8 night repo, but a significant different experience from HAL.( so I am told )

3455 CAD ($2770 USD) ( Total cost of Hal courtesy hold on Inside 8045 on Navigation)

Break down IN CAD $ 1353 plus 364 port and tax. HAL is also giving us a $150 OBC ( net cost in CAD ($3305) All 4 TA quotes I have are offering the same OBC as we are being offered for booking an inside directly with HAL

Our status with HAL is 3 star Mariner.

I can be happy with 8045 on Navigation Deck. Given the politics in the USA, it makes it a bit difficult to know where out exchange rate will go. If USA pulls out of NAFTA, then our economy will be affected and good chance our $$ will drop in value at least in the short to medium term. Have a great day!!

Thank you for your responses.... I live in Canada so pay in CAD $$...while the official exchange is about 1.26 its actually more like 1.29 unless you are an institutional investor... I have used TAs in the past , and some I have been happy with others not so much. There is not much competition on this route in October. Seabourn has an 8 night repo, but a significant different experience from HAL.( so I am told )

3455 CAD ($2770 USD) ( Total cost of Hal courtesy hold on Inside 8045 on Navigation)

Break down IN CAD $ 1353 plus 364 port and tax. HAL is also giving us a $150 OBC ( net cost in CAD ($3305) All 4 TA quotes I have are offering the same OBC as we are being offered for booking an inside directly with HAL

Our status with HAL is 3 star Mariner.

I can be happy with 8045 on Navigation Deck. Given the politics in the USA, it makes it a bit difficult to know where out exchange rate will go. If USA pulls out of NAFTA, then our economy will be affected and good chance our $$ will drop in value at least in the short to medium term. Have a great day!!

Are you saying the 8 day Seabourn cruise is 3455 CAD and the HAL 11 day cruise is 3305 CAD? Having sailed both lines, I can tell you there is no comparison. HAL is a mass market line and Seabourn is luxury which specializes in personal service, gourmet food and open bar throughout the ship. In a heartbeat, I would opt for the 8 day Seabourn over the 11 day HAL but others might disagree.

Are you saying the 8 day Seabourn cruise is 3455 CAD and the HAL 11 day cruise is 3305 CAD? Having sailed both lines, I can tell you there is no comparison. HAL is a mass market line and Seabourn is luxury which specializes in personal service, gourmet food and open bar throughout the ship. In a heartbeat, I would opt for the 8 day Seabourn over the 11 day HAL but others might disagree.

+1. Really no comparison.