So, What's Going On, Here

XBGuy

Our cabin of choice is, typically, on the highest deck as far forward as possible. One of the fun things about this location is that you can see some of the bridge activities.

We just enjoyed a 10-day Alaska cruise on the Grand Princess--in one of our favored cabins. Late in the afternoon of our Ketchican port stop I was sitting on our balcony when I spotted a line being dropped from the bridge down to the water. At the end of the line was a metal cylinder which from my view appeared to be about 10 inches (25 cm) long and about and inch and a half (3-4 cm) in diameter.

enhance

A few seconds later the line with the cylinder was pulled up. The sun screens on the bridge were pulled down. So, I could not see what activity was takiing place.

However, the next day, while we were visiting Juneau, I happened to again be sitting on the balcony when I saw the cylinder being dropped. This time, though, the sun screens were not pulled down. So, I was able to get something of a view of what was going on. The sailor who dropped the cylinder in and then retrieved it put what appeared to be a calibrated tube into the top of the cylinder. It was obveious that the top was open, and, so, I assumed that he had dropped the cylinder to get a sample of water. He examined the tube and noted something in a log. He removed the tube and dumped the water from the cylinder out the bridge window.

Obviously, something is being measured. What was it?

• Temperature?
  • Specific Gravity?
  • Salinity?
  • Something else?

How is this information used?

Expiring minds want to know

Strange that they would do it from the bridge. Wouldn't it be easier from a lower deck?

I thought the same thing. If I was assigned to do it, there is a better than even chance that I'd spill salt water on some critically important console.