[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:39 AM.
League City, TX
42,425 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by jlp20
Again from info still online. While doing personalizer, you actually take photo of your passport (no info about other types of I.D.). Their claim was you arrive at cruise center wearing OM. and go directly to security and board ship. There was no mention if I.D. photo is to be used or the cruise card photo system does another photo. Since there are people who will refuse to use OM I think the old machines will still be used to take everyone's photo at embarkation.
I still so not see just getting onto the ship without presenting your passport for verification at some point in the check-in/boarding process. Having passport info in the OM pre-cruise database is not the same as proof you have it with you for the cruise.
1,966 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by dides
Thanks for the updates. Did you still have to show your cruise card and get photographed by security to get onboard or do they now read the Medallion at the security point?

We still had to be photographed for the security photo when going on the ship .

OM did not work at signing in for muster station. We had to use the accompanying cruise card. OM does not work at the bars for us. Hubby just made a purchase in one of the shops. OM “worked” for that but not really. We are Elite and using the OM it did not give the 10% discount. Purchase had to be redone using his cruise card. OM is still opening our door all of the time. Lots of money just to have your door unlock... in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
SoCal/Maui No Ka Oi
20,481 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by caribill
I still so not see just getting onto the ship without presenting your passport for verification at some point in the check-in/boarding process. Having passport info in the OM pre-cruise database is not the same as proof you have it with you for the cruise.
I’ve been skeptical about that claim because airlines & cruise lines have our passport information but still require a physical scan at check-in. A mere passenger created photo of a passport does not ensure the authenticity of a passport nor that the passenger has it when required by a country’s immigration department. Some countries hold our passports which won’t work if Princess allows a passenger to board without physically checking that passengers have their passport with them.

I suspect this is one of the promoted functions that will never be implemented & that a physical check of passports will still be necessary. With numerous reports of requiring photos multiple times during the boarding process over 5 months after initial implementation the OM system still cannot even accomplish this simple task.
London, UK
642 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by whatcruiseisnext
Hubby just made a purchase in one of the shops. OM “worked” for that but not really. We are Elite and using the OM it did not give the 10% discount. Purchase had to be redone using his cruise card.
Golly - that was happening months ago as well and they still haven't resolved it!!
SoCal/Maui No Ka Oi
20,481 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Golly - that was happening months ago as well and they still haven't resolved it!!
Maybe they’re hoping that passengers won’t notice the missing discount so resolving this issue might not be a priority for Princess.
1,966 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Astro Flyer
I’ve been skeptical about that claim because airlines & cruise lines have our passport information but still require a physical scan at check-in. A mere passenger created photo of a passport does not ensure the authenticity of a passport nor that the passenger has it when required by a country’s immigration department. Some countries hold our passports which won’t work if Princess allows a passenger to board without physically checking that passengers have their passport with them.

I suspect this is one of the promoted functions that will never be implemented & that a physical check of passports will still be necessary. With numerous reports of requiring photos multiple times during the boarding process over 5 months after initial implementation the OM system still cannot even accomplish this simple task.

We had to physically present our passports for verification at the pier yesterday.

SoCal/Maui No Ka Oi
20,481 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
We had to physically present our passports for verification at the pier yesterday.
Thanks for sharing your experiences during your cruise & for confirming the current procedure.
1,966 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Just came back from the M&G for our Cruise Critic Group on this cruise. We had quite a turnout of officers/cruise staff and one of the topics discussed was the OM. No real answers as to the timelines or the addressing of the current problems. It was mentioned that one of the reasons there were so many problems was because it had been tested on land in a concrete building and when it was implemented on the ship no one had anticipated having the problems they encountered with all the metal on the ship. It was also told to our group that the Caribbean Princess will be the next ship to begin to implement the OM with a limited number of cabins in the not to distant future although no specific date was given. Said that it will happen before fully implemented on the Regal. Apparently there have been modifications and adjustments and they are hoping the Regal can learn from how it is rolled out on the Caribbean and then implement those same changes in the Regal. We shall see.

SoCal/Maui No Ka Oi
20,481 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
It was mentioned that one of the reasons there were so many problems was because it had been tested on land in a concrete building and when it was implemented on the ship no one had anticipated having the problems they encountered with all the metal on the ship.
OMG! No one on this project anticipated there might be problems.

Thanks for the current update about the Caribbean being the next ship because originally the Royal was the second ship scheduled after the Regal...wonder why the change.
SoCal/Maui No Ka Oi
20,481 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by pms4104
Wonder if there is some design differrnce that makes Regal and Royal less compatible with OM than other ships in the fleet.
Maybe just a larger ship with more work required to implement OM? The Caribbean is about 25% smaller than those ships.
Chico, California
11,842 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
We cruised CB March 18. It was slated to be the first Medallion cruise on that ship but, obviously, that didn't happen. While I was looking forward to checking out the new system I'm glad they pulled it - once they figured out that ships are made out of steel.

I will gladly wait until they get the system working. They have so much invested in the Medallion I can't see them abandoning the project altogether. BTW: Loved the Sesame Street reference.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

14 Miles From LA Port
2,833 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
...It was mentioned that one of the reasons there were so many problems was because it had been tested on land in a concrete building and when it was implemented on the ship no one had anticipated having the problems they encountered with all the metal on the ship,,,
I've stated I have had experience with failures with new software roll outs. Every time there was a problem, management would come out with bizarre reasons for the issues that later were discovered to be plain lies. A steel ship would not effect the actual software or any hardwired peripherals. It might effect the "location" aspect of the the system as far as pin pointing your location, not the general area. Anyway, as far as the "steel" excuse, I'm throwing the BS card.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anything that doesn't kill you,,, just hurts a hell of a lot
Sea Princess 2/02 Mexico, Star Princess 2/03 Mexico (2nd time), Carnival Pride 10/04 Mexico (3rd time), Diamond Princess 5/05 Alaska, Sapphire Princess 12/05 Mexico (4th time), Dawn Princess 11/06 Mexico (5th time), Caribbean Princess 6/07 W. Caribbean, Golden Princess 11/07 Mexico (6th time), Sapphire Princess 11/08 Mexico (7th time), Star Princess 6/09 Alaska, Mariner of the Seas 12/09 Mexico (8th time), Sapphire Princess 12/10 Mexico (9th time), Coral Princess 10/11 Trans Panama Canal, Ruby Princess 4/19 Alaska
Mojave Desert
1,039 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by jlp20

A steel ship would not effect the actual software or any hardwired peripherals. It might effect the "location" aspect of the the system as far as pin pointing your location, not the general area.
Uhh...
What parts of the OM software does not rely on a pinpointed location?

"Hello, Mr Jones... Oh! He's the guy over there?!?"

::runs and hides::
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MV Royal Majesty • N Caribbean
MS Zenith • Bermuda
MS Rhapsody of the Seas • S Caribbean
MS Ryndam • Alaska
MS Horizon • Bermuda
MV Yorktown Clipper • San Francisco/Sacramento (!)
MS Paul Gauguin • Tahiti
MS Navigator • St Lawrence Seaway
MS Emerald Princess • Australia/New Zealand
MS Ruby Princess • California Coast
MS Eurodam • Alaska
Nebraska
2,023 Posts
Joined May 2011
What the Heck. You can't even use a cell phone in metal buildings without problems and they didn't "anticipate" an issue? Are these people professional?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Brickell, Miami FL & Naples, FL
8,401 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
We still had to be photographed for the security photo when going on the ship .

OM did not work at signing in for muster station. We had to use the accompanying cruise card. OM does not work at the bars for us. Hubby just made a purchase in one of the shops. OM “worked” for that but not really. We are Elite and using the OM it did not give the 10% discount. Purchase had to be redone using his cruise card. OM is still opening our door all of the time. Lots of money just to have your door unlock... in my opinion.

I can't believe they haven't fixed that. I finally had to go to customer service and have them give me the elite card because I was having such a hard time getting the discount at the store back in december.

It sounds like no progress has been made at all. That's about all ours was good for on the Dec 3 2017 sailing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn

Disney Wonder 7/19/02~Bahamas ---- Disney Wonder 1/5/03~Bahamas
Disney Magic 6/7/03~W. Caribbean ---- Disney Magic 1/3/04~W. Caribbean
Golden Princess 10/24/04~S. Caribbean --- Golden Princess 7/11/05~N. European Capitals
Star Princess 3/19/06 (the infamous fire cruise) ~ Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder 7/23/06~Bahamas ---- Crown Princess 11/4/06~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 3/31/07~S. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 3/29/08~S. Caribbean
Crown Princess 4/5/09~E. Caribbean ---- Crown Princess 10/30/10~Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 11/12/11~S. Caribbean ---- Norwegian Sky 9/3/12~Bahamas
Majesty of the Seas RCL 1/11/13~Bahamas --- Majesty of the Seas RCL 8/19/13~Bahamas
Ruby Princess 1/18/14~W. Caribbean ---- Ruby Princess 1/23/14~W. Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 9/25/14 ~ Princess Cay --- Regal Princess 11/6/14 ~ Caribbean
Regal Princess 11/9/14 ~ E. Caribbean --Norwegian Sky 2/13/15 ~ Bahamas
Regal Princess 4/12/15 ~ Caribbean --- Emerald Princess 3/5/16 ~ Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 9/2/16 --- Regal Princess 11/27/16~Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway 4/16/17 ~ W Caribbean --- Regal Princess 12/3/17 ~ Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 2/18/18 ~ W Caribbean

Regal Princess 1/13/19 ~ W Caribbean
Sky Princess 1/11/20 ~ E Caribbean

14 Miles From LA Port
2,833 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
https://www.ocean.com/ocean/medallion-class Several dead end pages that I assume OM used to promote itself before they realized they couldn't provide. With all the public embarrassment, you would think they would show a timeline of WHAT has been done.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anything that doesn't kill you,,, just hurts a hell of a lot
Sea Princess 2/02 Mexico, Star Princess 2/03 Mexico (2nd time), Carnival Pride 10/04 Mexico (3rd time), Diamond Princess 5/05 Alaska, Sapphire Princess 12/05 Mexico (4th time), Dawn Princess 11/06 Mexico (5th time), Caribbean Princess 6/07 W. Caribbean, Golden Princess 11/07 Mexico (6th time), Sapphire Princess 11/08 Mexico (7th time), Star Princess 6/09 Alaska, Mariner of the Seas 12/09 Mexico (8th time), Sapphire Princess 12/10 Mexico (9th time), Coral Princess 10/11 Trans Panama Canal, Ruby Princess 4/19 Alaska
Melbourne ( Land of OZ )
341 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
OM is like some thing that has gained self awareness, with no direction except to promote itself....... ( real sci-fi stuff no..just departments all working my themselves... )

Now what does OM stand for Oh My.... where to next... as long as it does sink the ship

Time for another G&T

Cheers Don
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Why didn't we go cruising before ???
6,466 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
This is how they are going to monetize passenger behaviour / pay for OM.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App