Why are taxes/port fees higher on a 9-day cruise than a 14-day?

In this hemisphere, are the highest port fees from Panama, esp. if the ship is doing a partial or full transit? Or is the extra charge for the transit folded into the cruise fare? Anyone knows or should I go to the Port of Call threads or my friend Google.

I recall reading that a cruise ship may pay over $300,000 for a full transit, is this true?

In this hemisphere, are the highest port fees from Panama, esp. if the ship is doing a partial or full transit? Or is the extra charge for the transit folded into the cruise fare? Anyone knows or should I go to the Port of Call threads or my friend Google.

I recall reading that a cruise ship may pay over $300,000 for a full transit, is this true?

Completely true regarding costs of ships to transit/partially transit. The average cost is $150,000.

Here are some interesting facts:

http://panamaforbeginners.com/23-facts-know-panama-canal/

From that article: 16. The most expensive regular toll was paid by the cruise ship the Norwegian Pearl, which paid $375,600 to cross the canal. UPDATE: With the opening of the new, larger locks as part of the canal expansion, this record has been significantly broken, as much larger ships can now pass through the canal. As of July 6th, 2016, the new record is held by the MOL Benefactor, a 10,000 TEU cargo ship which paid $829,000 to transit the new locks. It is expected that when a post-Panamax ship (which can hold up to 13,000 TEU of cargo) transits the new canal, that the record toll will pass $1 million.

. ...

True since the fee is about $135 per passenger capacity not per passenger. In 2015 the Sun paid $379,000 to transit the canal.

That is why port fees per passenger are much higher for Canal transits.