Soda on plane

redraidersrule

Do most of you bring soda with you on the plane or just buy it near the port? I have the room for it and I have my bag under the weight limit. I'm just worried about it exploding on the plane under pressure. Any of you try it?

We always just buy it when we arrive in the port we are leaving from.

Do most of you bring soda with you on the plane or just buy it near the port? I have the room for it and I have my bag under the weight limit. I'm just worried about it exploding on the plane under pressure. Any of you try it?

You've never had a soft drink on a plane before? :rolleyes:

And yes, the cargo area is at the same pressure as the passenger cabin.

I would buy the soda after I landed. The cans are so thin now that they could be easily punctured. I have had times when the TSA has examined my checked bags and not repackaged my belongings as carefully as I would. My son had a can of beer explode all over his clothes. Luckily it was on his way home from a trip!

One of my favorite port activities is to find a local store and buy cokes. Sometimes they taste a little different. The Thai diet coke was awful but Coke Zero was not too bad. At one time I had a little collection of Coke cans from various countries -- interesting to compare the various logos and product information. I love kilo energy units instead of calories and the names for various sweeteners listed on regular Coke.

Just be careful with the local versions of coke. Many, many years ago my ex and I went to Bali and did a day trip to Kintamani which included lunch at a buffet restaurant. We sat at a table with an American couple. My ex didn't eat vegetables or fruit so only ate the meat dishes. The American lady was vegetarian. The American guy and I grazed our way across the whole buffet including dishes that the others had eaten, including fresh fruit.

My ex and the American lady got sick that night, I was fine and so was the American guy. The only difference? We drank beer, they drank cokes - from a freshly opened bottle with no ice ... but the Coke was bottled locally from imported syrup and LOCAL WATER.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

You've never had a soft drink on a plane before? :rolleyes:

And yes, the cargo area is at the same pressure as the passenger cabin.

I would buy the soda after I landed. The cans are so thin now that they could be easily punctured. I have had times when the TSA has examined my checked bags and not repackaged my belongings as carefully as I would. My son had a can of beer explode all over his clothes. Luckily it was on his way home from a trip!

The cargo area pressure is the same as the passenger area. When pets are transported, they're loaded in the cargo area. We always buy bottles of soda, and not cans. The plastic bottles are more durable and less likely to rupture than aluminum cans. I pack the bottles in large doubled heavy-duty zip lock bags (just in case). Never had one leak. I put the sodas in my checked luggage, then when we get to the port city's airport, I switch them to my carry on. This method works well for me, and I don't have to worry about stopping somewhere on the way to the port to buy sodas.;)

Thought it was slightly different. Good to know.

Nope, all the same. The floor of the passenger cabin is not a pressure bulkhead, so any air can pass between passenger cabin and cargo areas (and crew rest areas, which are many times above the cabin on larger longhaul planes).

That being said, buying soda and transporting it seems foolish to me.

Edited by Zach1213

Just be careful with the local versions of coke. Many, many years ago my ex and I went to Bali and did a day trip to Kintamani which included lunch at a buffet restaurant. We sat at a table with an American couple. My ex didn't eat vegetables or fruit so only ate the meat dishes. The American lady was vegetarian. The American guy and I grazed our way across the whole buffet including dishes that the others had eaten, including fresh fruit.

My ex and the American lady got sick that night, I was fine and so was the American guy. The only difference? We drank beer, they drank cokes - from a freshly opened bottle with no ice ... but the Coke was bottled locally from imported syrup and LOCAL WATER.

I would have my doubts as to Coke being the culprit. Coke goes quite a long way to make sure their product is safe everywhere in the world. Heck, I've had it in super third world countries like Niger and Democratic Republic of the Congo with no issues whatsoever. In many places, Coke is safer and cheaper than even bottled spring water.

One of my favorite port activities is to find a local store and buy cokes. Sometimes they taste a little different. The Thai diet coke was awful but Coke Zero was not too bad. At one time I had a little collection of Coke cans from various countries -- interesting to compare the various logos and product information. I love kilo energy units instead of calories and the names for various sweeteners listed on regular Coke.

It's because they use real cane sugar instead of corn syrup in most other countries.

Please reference where it says that the cargo area of an A320 isn't pressurized?

There are several instances of planes crashing due to a failure of the cargo door and rapid depressurization of the plane. There are actually pressure relief devices in the floor of the cabin to rapidly equalize pressure between the passenger and cargo areas in case of loss of pressure.

Now yes, on a small prop plane it is possible that the cargo area may not be pressurized.

Interesting document, and I'm used to working with aircraft tech docs on a daily basis.

Nothing says the cargo compartment is at a different pressure. "Ventilation" means air circulated with fans, regardless of pressure. It's not the same as pressurization.

As others mentioned the cabin floor / cargo ceiling cannot handle pressure differences. Blowout panels in the floor equalize pressure if either area suddenly loses pressure. There are also vent panels between the upper and main decks of the 747 and A380. (On a few aircraft the vent panel area can provide extra legroom or intrude on under seat space). The DC-10 design had undersize vents. When the cargo door opened (due to another design flaw) the cargo compartment decompressed and the cabin floor collapsed. That stretched or severed control cables to the tail and caused a near crash the first time and the worst (at the time) air disaster the second time.

I would have my doubts as to Coke being the culprit. Coke goes quite a long way to make sure their product is safe everywhere in the world. Heck, I've had it in super third world countries like Niger and Democratic Republic of the Congo with no issues whatsoever. In many places, Coke is safer and cheaper than even bottled spring water.

It was the only thing we could think of that was different in what the four of us had eaten and drunk. I was surprised at the time as I expected a product like Coke to be safe to drink worldwide. Perhaps there had been a problem at the bottling plant where some bottles were contaminated? Who knows, it was a long time ago. However it did make me aware of assuming that all bottled drinks were automatically safe.

That being said, buying soda and transporting it seems foolish to me.

This I agree with 100%. :roll eyes:

I also never understand bringing soda or water on a cruise ship either. The LAST thing I will ever do is drag a case of soda or water on board a ship with me.

We drank beer, they drank cokes - from a freshly opened bottle with no ice ... but the Coke was bottled locally from imported syrup and LOCAL WATER.

Could be the Coke, or myriad other things...the bottles were kept in a tub of ice water, the server thoughtfully "cleaned" the mouth of the bottles with a dirty dishrag, someone had unclean hands and opened the bottles, the ladies used the same restroom, etc. etc.

Could be the Coke, or myriad other things...the bottles were kept in a tub of ice water, the server thoughtfully "cleaned" the mouth of the bottles with a dirty dishrag, someone had unclean hands and opened the bottles, the ladies used the same restroom, etc. etc.

My ex is male so they won't have used the same restroom LOL, but I probably used the same restroom as the American lady. But yes, the neck of the bottles could have been contaminated as could the glasses. The bottles were opened in front of us though.

It did teach me one thing ... when in doubt drink alcohol! :D

It was the only thing we could think of that was different in what the four of us had eaten and drunk. I was surprised at the time as I expected a product like Coke to be safe to drink worldwide. Perhaps there had been a problem at the bottling plant where some bottles were contaminated? Who knows, it was a long time ago. However it did make me aware of assuming that all bottled drinks were automatically safe.

It can be hard to identify. Just last week I was in Morocco with my wife's family. Half got sick, half didn't. We were together pretty much all the time, eating at the same places. It can just be very difficult to nail it down. Heck, perhaps all of you got the same bug but two had weaker immune systems.

My ex is male so they won't have used the same restroom LOL, but I probably used the same restroom as the American lady. But yes, the neck of the bottles could have been contaminated as could the glasses. The bottles were opened in front of us though.

It did teach me one thing ... when in doubt drink alcohol! :D

Beer can be contaminated just as easily as Coke.

The water needs to be fairly clean for the wort to ferment properly, but there isn't enough alcohol in beer to kill anything. If the processing line, glass, etc. are dirty then the beer can become contaminated as well.