Layover in Chicago ORD35m

3:15 pm – 7:15 pm

Chicago – Fort Lauderdale · ORD–FLL

American 1071 · Economy · Boeing 737

Average legroom (31")

3h 00m

Some seats with power

No personal video

That's what I would worry about, going from an RJ to a 737, so it could very well be a different terminal.

Totally agree! See my previous post #20 - have come in on the regional jets many times - it's a long walk! Plus waiting for gate checked carry-on can eat up 10 minutes easily!

Would definitely try to make a change.

A lot of the American Eagle commuter-type flights come in a good distance from the main terminal - think long walk. Perhaps someone who knows O'Hare better than I can explain - I just know we tend to land "in the basement" and then have a hike, which inclludes under a runway with a moving walkway, to the "main American gates."

It's a hike, and can be a long one, but it's not that convoluted. American Eagle comes in and out of Terminal 3 Concourse G most of the time, and the regular American flights are in 3 Councourse H or K.. again, mostly.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/whereWeFly/terminals/terminal_ORD.jsp

But yeah, 35 minutes is REALLY short for a winter connection to the last flight out that day. You might not be using that hotel room in Ft Lauderdale, but at least there's that overnight to rebuffer and get you to your ship.

As long as you can move through an airport quickly, 35 minutes in ORD is just fine. If you miss your connection due to a delay, AA will get you on the next flight. They may try to fly you into MIA instead of FLL. FYI, there are 3 flights to MIA after the flight you are booked on to FLL.

Just try to sit near the front of the plane, figure out what the scheduled gates are before you leave, and memorize the terminal maps from one point to the other. If you valet check bags from BIS-ORD send someone in the party ahead to the next gate and someone else to collect the valet checked bags, that way if all else feels, the lead person can slow down the boarding slightly on the next flight (good for a couple minutes ;)). Also skip the bathroom. Although you shouldn't count on it, AA will usually hold the flight if they know you are on a tight connection and you get to the airport on time. If you plane is landing while the next flight is doing final boarding, they won't wait, but if you landed 15 minutes ago they'll give you a few minutes and wait for your bags to get loaded.

AA also pads their flight times a lot, so if everything was on time you would get into ORD pretty early.

Now I used to work for an airline, so I may be a bad sample, but I routinely booked connections shorter than the minimum allowed (possible in the employee system).

If you get around slow, or stress out in airports, I'd rebook into either MIA or via DFW.

EDIT: FYI: Flying out of the far North in the middle of winter, I'd probably give myself 2 days to get there if at all possible or get trip insurance, another good reason to go through DFW, then you only have to worry about one northern airport. (Although when DFW gets a dusting of snow things go downhill quick)

Edited by OSUZorba

Would definitely try to make a change.

A lot of the American Eagle commuter-type flights come in a good distance from the main terminal - think long walk. Perhaps someone who knows O'Hare better than I can explain - I just know we tend to land "in the basement" and then have a hike, which inclludes under a runway with a moving walkway, to the "main American gates."

FYI: It is United that has the long walk under the ramp. Some of the Eagle gates are at ground level, but still in the main terminal building and there is an escalator right there.

Change change change, if you can. I don't really understand why this is a debate. Regional jet, winter afternoon, O'Hare. Enough said.

If you miss the connection, you still have until the next morning to get to South Florida, but it's just not a way to start a vacation.

The last time we had a connection with American it was through Dallas over the holidays. Our flight was late but, despite needing to change terminals, we still made it to the departure gate a few minutes before they closed the doors. But they'd already given away our seats! I couldn't believe their system didn't account for the fact we were getting off a connecting flight and prevent that.

I am an AA frequent flier who goes through O'Hare every 6-8 weeks (and much more often through DFW). I would never touch this connection for multiple reasons:

1) Winter in Chicago is a mess more often than not. I say this as a Chicago native and someone who transits through Chicago often.

2) Changing from the regional jet gates to the mainline (737) gates can take 10 minutes easily

3) If you have a carry-on that has to be gate checked on the regional jet but then carried by you to your next flight, it can take 10 minutes to get that bag

You have, in my opinion, a 99.5% chance of MISSING this connection. And do note that "next available flight" is not "next flight" many times - planes are going out full, and there often are not seats for even high-level frequent fliers, let alone those without any status.

It will cost you to change this, so I understand taking the risk in that aspect. But do understand that, unless something extraordinary happens, your odds of making the flight are small.

As long as you can move through an airport quickly, 35 minutes in ORD is just fine. If you miss your connection due to a delay, AA will get you on the next flight.

As I mention in my post, "Next Available Flight" is what they will get you on. That is often NOT the "Next Flight". They're not going to displace people with tickets to get you on the plane, and planes are going out full most times. Especially with no frequent flier status, expecting to get on the very next flight is a huge mistake.

Sometimes the airlines will allow you a free rebook if the connection is too short. The only way to know if they will in your situation is to call the airline. I know on delta if the flight times have changed (and they often do between booking and actual travel date) which could account for the short connection, they will allow a free change.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes but it doesn't sound like flight times have changed. OP booked the flight with a legal connection. But legal doesn't always mean wise.

True, AA may change this for free, but there's a better chance they won't.

Thanks for all the replies....called the airlines right away last night and really didn't get much help....Were not very willing to change our flights since there is not an earlier flight that day traveling thru Chicago....all she kept saying is this was legal connection and that they would not offer the flight if the gates that will be used were not very close together. According to this representative the gates should be within 2 of each other....

Now reading all the responses it really sounds like we will be in the same concourse.

Ticket prices went up drastically from yesterday to today.....so not sure what kind of issues we will have trying to get the earlier flight that would have a connection in Dallas instead.

Hoping if I keep watching the prices there maybe a drop and we can get the flights changed......really hate that airlines even offer flights like this.

Thanks for all the replies....called the airlines right away last night and really didn't get much help....Were not very willing to change our flights since there is not an earlier flight that day traveling thru Chicago....all she kept saying is this was legal connection and that they would not offer the flight if the gates that will be used were not very close together. According to this representative the gates should be within 2 of each other....

Now reading all the responses it really sounds like we will be in the same concourse.

Ticket prices went up drastically from yesterday to today.....so not sure what kind of issues we will have trying to get the earlier flight that would have a connection in Dallas instead.

Hoping if I keep watching the prices there maybe a drop and we can get the flights changed......really hate that airlines even offer flights like this.

Your gates will NOT be within two of each other unless you get some extraordinarily unusual luck. You can find a map of O'Hare Terminal 3 here - http://www.ifly.com/chicago-ohare-international-airport/ORD-Terminal-3

American Eagle (regional jets) use the G gates. American (mainline aircraft, such as your 737 to FLL) will use H and K gates. These are not the same concourse, and can easily be 10 minutes apart.

Your gates will NOT be within two of each other unless you get some extraordinarily unusual luck. You can find a map of O'Hare Terminal 3 here - http://www.ifly.com/chicago-ohare-international-airport/ORD-Terminal-3

American Eagle (regional jets) use the G gates. American (mainline aircraft, such as your 737 to FLL) will use H and K gates. These are not the same concourse, and can easily be 10 minutes apart.

That is exactly what I was thinking!!!

Will be making another call to American Airlines and trying to get these flights changed.

Yes but it doesn't sound like flight times have changed. OP booked the flight with a legal connection. But legal doesn't always mean wise.

True, AA may change this for free, but there's a better chance they won't.

Yes but there are still several months until the flight, during which a flight time change can happen. It's just something to keep an eye out for.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

AA may not be willing to change anything, unless they change the flight times. You have a couple of months for them to do that, it anything could happen.

My advise is to check the status of your flights often. Be on the lookout for AA to change things, and when they do, call and nicely request the reps assistance.

Also, as the flight gets close, watch b the weather reports very closely - particularly for the days leading up to your flights. If the weather forecast shows travel difficulty, they may be willing to fly you out I n advance of a winter storm, and use a different route to get you to FL. If you are able, be prepared t o leave a couple of days early. I had a success doing that a couple of years ago.

In addition to the G concourse, those regionals also use the L concourse, gate K1, and gates H1 thru about H5. To further complicate, mainline flights occasionally use the L concourse, in addition to H and K.

I wouldn't touch that connection at ORD any time of year. To make matters worse, AA does not staff a service counter airside.

I'm surprised the actually fly into FLL at all with MiA being their main hub down there. If it was me I would try to change your flights down there to MIA as you have flt #1252 the departs at 4:35pm, #1590 at 6:55pm and #1178 at 8pm to chose from. Either that or if you can fly into ORD a day early and overnight in Chicago and have all the time you need to catch your FLL flight.

I'm surprised the actually fly into FLL at all with MiA being their main hub down there. If it was me I would try to change your flights down there to MIA as you have flt #1252 the departs at 4:35pm, #1590 at 6:55pm and #1178 at 8pm to chose from. Either that or if you can fly into ORD a day early and overnight in Chicago and have all the time you need to catch your FLL flight.

I am definitely going to try to switch to a MIA flight...wish me luck!!!

I'd switch flights. If you have 5 minutes of delay inbound into Chicago you might not the flight (with your luggage). If you gave any mobility issues you might not make the flight. To top it all off, you're talking January in Bismark & Chicago! Start your vacation off right & adjust the flight to give you more breathing space. Chicago has lots of interesting things to look at in the airport

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk