Flying United

Scrapnana

I have been looking for a flight home after my next cruise. Since it will be from Seattle to the east coast, I would like to fly Business or First Class. United's first class is less than half of American or Delta and almost half of US Airways.

Is there something about United I don't know that makes it so much cheaper than its competitors?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Well, I would just take it. Some will say American will have better food, but that seems to be diminishing, and United has announced upgrades in their food starting in 2015.

United will, unless an unusual case, not have Business and First class on your flight. It will have either First, or BusinessFirst, which domestically, are the same.

Nothing really, no. Personally I prefer the F class service and experience on AA to those carriers you listed. There's not a whole lot to get excited about flying domestically in premium cabins (once you're off the NYC-LAX/SFO routes) and I just find United's F&B to be quite a bit worse than AA.

Can't say I'd pay almost double to fly AA as a result though, unless UA was $50 and AA was $100 but that's pretty unlikely ;)

What routings are you looking at?

I have been looking for a flight home after my next cruise. Since it will be from Seattle to the east coast, I would like to fly Business or First Class. United's first class is less than half of American or Delta and almost half of US Airways.

Is there something about United I don't know that makes it so much cheaper than its competitors?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Most US carriers don't have business class for domestic flights; you can find the odd one on planes that are going to continue on internationally.

No idea why the price difference (assume you are flying SEA-IAD?). I have flown UA many times (only on upgraded flights though) west to east coast, and it's definitely better then economy, but nothing I'd pay a lot for.

There's no reason to pay twice as much to fly AA, IMO, and you definitely don't want to pay twice to fly F on a US plane.

Nothing really, no. Personally I prefer the F class service and experience on AA to those carriers you listed. There's not a whole lot to get excited about flying domestically in premium cabins (once you're off the NYC-LAX/SFO routes) and I just find United's F&B to be quite a bit worse than AA.

Can't say I'd pay almost double to fly AA as a result though, unless UA was $50 and AA was $100 but that's pretty unlikely ;)

What routings are you looking at?

SEA to RIC

as of 3 pm this afternoon:

United First Class $455

AA cheapest First $1155

Delta cheapest First 1099

USAirways cheapest First $816

all have one change of planes

Edited by Scrapnana

SEA to RIC

United First Class $455

AA cheapest First $1155

The UA fare is excellent if you want to fly up front for maybe $200 higher than Econ. Don't expect an incredible dining and wining experience, but you have expedited baggage handling with add-on fee, expedited security, and better legroom. It sounds like you're looking for a good value and not rock-bottom fares. Don't overthink this...it's at high risk of disappearing instantly and permanently.

Edited by kenish

SEA to RIC

United First Class $455

AA cheapest First $1155

all have one change of planes

I would say it also matters where you're flying through and what aircraft you're on. But overall sounds like a hell of a deal.

Having previously lived in RIC and using a lot of these domestic premium fares I'd say that's a very good deal.

One thing to note is that UA don't have mainline service on all flights to RIC. A fair amount is on United Express that doesn't always have F. Ensure you are on an aircraft that does offer the F cabin, United.com will highlight this well.

If you are traveling around 02 May, I see the $455 price. Almost every flight continues on a regional jet after you make your connection. I'd rather have a 5 hour flight in F on a 737-800 and then a one hour flight on a regional jet, then choose flights with two legs on a A320 and A319, but that's just my opinion.

I looked at AA; those prices are really high!

Thanks for all the help. I am still new at this booking my own air. I'm used to having a travel agent shift through everything for me.

The United flight I am looking at flies into Dulles and then I take a puddle jumper (about 50 minutes) to Richmond.

There really isn't much difference between the first class products on any of the domestic big 3 (4 if you count USAir until the merger is compete) carriers. Now, if you start to add in the foreign airlines and their first/business products......that is a whole different kettle of fish. But, if you can grab a transon for $450 or so..do it.

As to why they are cheaper...who knows. I find lots of flights cheaper on UA than other airlines. (I'm going to New York next week for a long weekend and my direct flight on UA was HALF of what AA and US wanted and no connoting flights..just direct into EWR from IAH). The key is...if you find a cheap flight...grab it before it goes away.

I would just make sure that you are actually flyung first/business on the lengthy flights. It may be that you are flying F on a very short segment and the premium cabin is unavailable for the flights that really matter.

$455 sounds crazy cheap for transcon, especially if connecting via IAD (Dulles) I would be surprised if you could find a round trip west coast-IAD flight for $455. Is the $455 one way per person?

Some specifics on route would be helpful.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

It's as little as 20mins in the air.

I hate those flights with a passion. All that waiting around for a few minutes in the air. On Sunday I fly MCI-DFW-AUS and have a 1.5-hour layover at DFW for the 35 minute flight to Austin. I feel like I could drive it quicker.

Depends so much on the aircraft. Lie-flat or angle-flat or recline seats? What's the configuration of seats, etc? Is there IFE? Not much of a difference among domestic fc in my limited experience, but international biz class flights we've taken have varied widely. 2 x price is alot.

It seems UA is occasionally offering low-priced First/Biz class fares in certain markets. A few months ago I found SFO-FLL for $472 (one way) whereas Virgin was $1000. Both carriers offer nonstop service on the route. I'm all too happy to pay $500 or less for transcontinental first class simply for the added comfort. I don't expect 5-star dining, and know I'm not going to get it, either!