Travel insurance for work

stasys

My wife, a school teacher, and I are booking a cruise for June, very close to her last day of school. It should work fine, but in the off chance there are extra days added in to her school year for snow, power outages, etc. I would like to be covered for the cost of the cruise. This possible work related issue is really all I am interested in insuraning against. Medical coverage while out of country (Bermuda) would be nice also, but not my primary concern. Does anyone have recommendations for plans/companies?

I believe that for this type of cancellation, the only insurance will be "cancel for any reason". Generally, with this coverage, you will get a credit good towards a cruise in the next year.

When would you know that the schedule has been extended? Usually final payment is due 60 to 75 days before you sail. After that the penalty amount increases until it is about 100% the last two weeks before sailing

I believe that for this type of cancellation, the only insurance will be "cancel for any reason". Generally, with this coverage, you will get a credit good towards a cruise in the next year.

When would you know that the schedule has been extended? Usually final payment is due 60 to 75 days before you sail. After that the penalty amount increases until it is about 100% the last two weeks before sailing

Thanks. I did look a little more, a lot of policies have a "cancel for work reasons" coverage, but I'm not 100% they will cover a teacher who has to make up snow days.

We are planning to book the cruise tomorrow and the full payment has to be made at that time.

It looks like a lot of these insurance policies do not have to be made right away, so possible we could wait a few weeks to purchase insurance? Would have a good idea if we need the insurance then.

You would need to purchase a plan with a "cover for work" policy. You can't buy this after you know you need to cancel. Travelguard is one company that offers this. Why not call and ask them about it?

Thanks for the recommendation.

Be cautious about waiting too long to purchase the insurance; if the school year gets extended before you purchase the insurance it is no longer an unknown situation and coverage will be denied.

Also, check the specific wording on the policy you choose to make sure that the necessary proof can be obtained. Many require a letter stating that previously approved time off has been revoked. Sounds straightforward for your situation, but in our district, the ‘potential snow make-up days’ are listed on the school calendar in advance and the district considers those days to be part of the school year until they are not needed. In other words, they are not ‘previously granted time off’.

There is a forum here for travel insurance advice. EM

Can you please point me toward that board? I looked through the list of boards and did not see one for travel insurance, so I chose this as a natural place for these questions.

Is there any reason you can't book the cruise a week or two later so that this would not be an issue? Just curious......

Yes, needs to be booked as soon as possible. However, even waiting two weeks wouldn't guarantee anything, just reduce from a small chance of the school year extending to a slightly smaller chance.

Call one of the travel insurance companies.

My mind is blank right now, but they have been listed before.

They will help get you the right policy to cover your needs, if one is available.

Go to insure my trip dot com. Cancel for work policies are readily available. Don't wait to purchase the cost goes up significantly even a couple of days later and the will be fewer policies that cover cancel for work. Use a real computer to access the site and you will get a pop up chat box. The people answering are licensed agents. Probably the most impressive website I have ever used! And cancelling for work was my primary concern.

We are planning to book the cruise tomorrow and the full payment has to be made at that time.

It looks like a lot of these insurance policies do not have to be made right away, so possible we could wait a few weeks to purchase insurance? Would have a good idea if we need the insurance then.

No. Read the fine print Cancel for any reason or cancel work reasons coverage tends to require that the coverage be purchased within hours of making final payment. If you want a few weeks the very risk you are trying to insure against will be excluded from coverage.