Bringing my own flask for hot and cold drinks.

compozer

It really bothers me to see all the waste with paper coffee cups and water bottles. We enjoy having at least three coffees from the International Cafè every morning. I save the cardboard 4 pack holder to reuse the entire cruise. I get a new cup with the first cups I get each morning but I take back the empty cups and they refill them but it still is a waste. I remember on one cruise, there were eight empty paper cups in our cabin that morning. Bothers me so much!

I also get sick when I see shorelines littered with plastic bottles so I either reuse mine or bring my own reusable one.

I bought a Hydro Flask yesterday. It was expensive but hopefully will last a long time. It is suppose to be great for hot and cold drinks. I also was looking at the Yeti.

I hate to bring 2 for hots drinks and 2 for cold so was hoping we could use one for both. My husband is worried that the coffee taste will be there whendrinking water.

Anyone with experience with using them for both?? Does rinsing them in water, get rid of the coffee taste or do you have to use something?

Thanks.

I think that because coffee has natural oils in it, it will leave a trace in the cup or flask. I also think I’d be able to taste it, but I do have princess-and-the-pea tendencies! :D I can certainly tell in the little metal pots they serve hot water in sometimes. If it’s had coffee in it in the past, I can tell. Whether that lingering taste will bother you is another question. I’d bring one for water and one for coffee. Or even one for coffee, one for tea and one for water.

If your husband is a coffee drinker he probably won't notice the coffee taste. If not, it will likely be noticeable (at least the smell). I don't find that tea or even hot chocolate have smells that permeate as much as coffee. We have one insulated water bottle that is labeled coffee just for that reason. Despite multiple washings it still has some coffee scent.

Hydroflasks are great for cold drinks. I fill it with ice water in the morning and it still has ice the next morning...no matter how hot it is. They aren’t so great at keeping things hot though. For coffee I use klean kanteen. It’s as good at keeping my coffee hot as my hydro is at keeping my water cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This may not help since you already invested in the HydroFlask but we have Contigo stainless steel water bottles. They work great for cold and hot. The coffee oils don't stick to the container but they do in the leakproof plastic lid. I find that if the taste is too noticeable, I can just rinse it thoroughly with warm/hot water and maybe a tiny bit of soap and it cleans it right up.

I love these containers and we have taken them all over with us--Australia, New Zealand, the Caribbean, soon around the British Isles. I particularly like them for morning coffee in our cabin. I can fill one with hot coffee, grab 2 mugs, then use the container as the "coffeepot". Keeps it hot for a long time.

I fill them with ice when we leave the ship and it barely melts during the day, even in very hot places like Mexico. I now add a little water so there is some always available to drink! Then if we get bottled water while we are out, we can just pour it into the container. Works great.

I have seen a 2-pack available at Costco, and maybe single bottles at Walmart. They aren't cheap but they last a long time and the top is completely leakproof and can be locked closed for travel. Then you can unlock just the part that let's you drink. Here's a link to a pix (or just google Contigo stainless steel water bottles):

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2685780/contigo-20-oz-stainless-steel-water-bottle.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=TABLEWARE&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=65388809&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=196835012&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIovS8j8CX2QIVh15-Ch2gHgx-EAQYASABEgJGffD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CI6GoaHAl9kCFc90AQodCWwNkA

Good luck

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
typos

When filling any reusable container from a water spigot, for sanitary reasons, always use a clean cup, fill it first, and then transfer it to your container. This is what the cruise lines require in order to minimize any contamination of the spigot by contact with containers that have been drunk from.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I think I may get two more just for coffee. I will check out Walmart and Costco. We really only need one water.

I have been using vinegar for a lot of my cleaning lately. Would rinsing the flask in vinegar take away the oil residue from the coffee?

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I think I may get two more just for coffee. I will check out Walmart and Costco. We really only need one water.

I have been using vinegar for a lot of my cleaning lately. Would rinsing the flask in vinegar take away the oil residue from the coffee?

Thanks

I'm not sure. I think for any metal/stainless steel flask, it wouldn't matter. But for any plastic tops maybe. I suggest you use a light touch. The few times I have used vinegar to clean coffee pots or equivalent, it seems like the vinegar taste replaces the coffee residue. i'd rather taste coffee than vinegar :)

Also, most of these containers have wide openings, not just a small bottle top size, so they are easy to fill at water machines or fountains without touching them to the dispenser. We do it all the time with ours, no problem.

I think you just need to pick the right material for your reusable flask/water bottle. Metal over plastic, and maybe something that has good thermal retention, hot or cold. And, the top is more likely to hold the residue than the actual container, depending on material.

Good luck

ML

I use just one small drip of the body wash in the shower, add a little hot water from the sink, put the lid on and shake my personal insulated beverage container vigorously for several seconds, then rinse thoroughly to remove coffee residue and the smell from it. The odor from the body wash has not been an issue, as I rinse the container a couple of times, and leave the lid off to allow it to air out as it air dries.

Seems to work fine for cleaning the inside of the lid too. Since I add milk to my coffee, that seems to add to the accumulation of residue on the inside of the cup and lid.

Thanks

It does not.

Nothing takes the away the taste of coffee.