To be surprised, or to research in advance? That is my question

stacylee31

Less than a week to go - super excited! While I have not posted often, I have been reading Cruise Critic religiously since we booked this cruise. However, I struggle to not read too many Oasis posts (and google and YouTube):cool:

While I want to have some tips on secret spaces and not to be missed things, I want to have that excitement when opening the menu for the first time, or seeing the activity sheet laying on my bed after dinner. This is not a complaint by any means, but an observation.

While I research all my trips to the smallest detail beforehand, I just cannot bring myself to study the deck plans (half the fun is getting lost on a ship), or study menus (how can I predict what I will want to eat next Wednesday?) or memorize the Cruise Compass for a weeks cruise?

Am I the only one who delights in not knowing everything? :D:ship::lips-sealed:

I do not like to over research things either, it is more exciting to find things out as I go. Some people need to know six months in advance whether or not on day 3, there is sour dough bread in the bread basket.:rolleyes:

One thing I would say, is look for the small wonders that are hidden throughout the ship. They are brass view finders that are all over the place, there are at least 40, that have a 3D scene in each of them. Even the brass fixtures are different looking, so if you see something stuck in a corner, go look and see if it is one. :)

Like you, I prefer to leave the menus and dailies until I'm on the ship and let those small items be surprises. I love this site for "managing my expectations" before traveling, and to help me determine if certain experiences are worth the extra fees involved (suite vs non-suite, tours, etc.)

I do, however, like to review deck plans. I enjoy spending the first day exploring, but I like to have an idea of what there is to see beforehand.

One thing I would say, is look for the small wonders that are hidden throughout the ship. They are brass view finders that are all over the place, there are at least 40, that have a 3D scene in each of them. Even the brass fixtures are different looking, so if you see something stuck in a corner, go look and see if it is one. :)

I recently learned about these and thought it would be great fun to find them all. My MIL is also really into art and I know she'll get a kick out of seeing them all.

I'm with you. I like to be armed with a reasonable amount of data before I do anything, but, the over zealous planning seems like far to much work for me. I'm on vacation, I want to relax, and enjoy myself, and that means I can kiss Calendar goodbye.

Enjoy your cruise.

We were discussing this the other day. We've cruised about 20 times in 20 years. When we started, while we knew the basics about each ship we picked, all you could really base your expectations on were the brochure pix and what you learned via the travel agent. We did a lot of research in advance but what you could absorb was somewhat limited.

Now, with sites like this and 100s of Youtube videos for each ship, it's tough not to look at everything in advance. When we board the ship, we already know exactly what it looks like and where everything is. I'm glad we do the prep work in advance but it does take some of the adventure and thrill out of boarding a ship for the 1st time. It's a tradeoff.

Do they have a list at Guest Relations of these small wonders? I thought I read that at some point.

I like to plan up to a certain point, and I like hearing everyone's tips and tricks. But when it comes to reviewing past Cruise Compasses I draw the line. Things like on-board activities I prefer to wait and see and play it by ear that day. And I only look over menus in order to decide if I want to try a specialty restaurant.

Haha - I did print this! I think we will go on a little treasure hunt one afternoon or late evening.

Thank you!

Make sure you go to that thread, not just that single post as there is a second page you want to print too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2493579

You can get a list at guest services too because I think there are even more than are on those two pages. It is fun to try to find them as you go and then later in the week go to the list and see if you found them with no help.:)

I like to plan to a certain degree. However, I don't plan every second of every day. I may look at menus but will forget before we board will have forgotten most of the items. I don't need to know the entertainment on board; we plan that day by day.

Everyone has there on method of having the perfect vacation and cruising is one of the best.

Different people have different levels of comfort.

For land travel, I want to have a place to sleep arranged for every night. Others (my parents) would fly to a country, rent a car, and start driving with no idea where they would stay.

I also know people who can tell you what restaurant they will be eating at on day 5 for lunch.

I research things to do, but don't make any solid plans (except the must see things). So free to follow what ever comes up. Like the year before in Berlin. Had to go to Check Point Charlie. But on the way ran across the International Spy Museum. And took a couple of hours to do it. And on the way back, saw this place, had no idea what it was, but walked over, and it was a very good pictorial history of the rise of ****sm.

Same on the cruise, I look at menus before, but forget them. But I don't check out the Cruise Compass until it shows up in the room. No idea where I will be eating any given meal (except lobster night).

Less than a week to go - super excited! While I have not posted often, I have been reading Cruise Critic religiously since we booked this cruise. However, I struggle to not read too many Oasis posts (and google and YouTube):cool:

While I want to have some tips on secret spaces and not to be missed things, I want to have that excitement when opening the menu for the first time, or seeing the activity sheet laying on my bed after dinner. This is not a complaint by any means, but an observation.

While I research all my trips to the smallest detail beforehand, I just cannot bring myself to study the deck plans (half the fun is getting lost on a ship), or study menus (how can I predict what I will want to eat next Wednesday?) or memorize the Cruise Compass for a weeks cruise?

Am I the only one who delights in not knowing everything? :D:ship::lips-sealed:

I understand your dilemma. My wife and I are the opposite and were that way when we first boarded an Oasis class. She loved the surprise and was amazed. I had researched to death and still had a great time, but if you can avoid all the videos and study the deck plans it can be really helpful. Knowing your way around ahead of time can really help get around this huge ship.

I will be cruising with a total newbie later this year. I have explained a lot of things but will not be providing pictures to preserve the best part of the newbie experience, that first awe-inspiring look upon boarding a ship for the first time.

If you look how I set up my future cruises in my signature, I'm looking forward to seeing friends reactions when the ship first comes in site and when we walk into the promenade of Symphony. His wife will want to be surprised, he will research it almost as much as me.