Cancelling P&O auto tips - does this hit P&O in the pocket or the staff?

Harry Peterson

I was told by a cabin steward that if the tips are removed they are still paid the same as long as the feedback is excellent. So seems to confirm the original post.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Forums mobile app

That is the conclusion I came to and for that reason I will no longer be paying the service charge on P&O. Instead I will make sure that people who serve me are fully rewarded. What they do with the money (share it, hand it, keep it) is up to them.

That is the conclusion I came to and for that reason I will no longer be paying the service charge on P&O. Instead I will make sure that people who serve me are fully rewarded. What they do with the money (share it, hand it, keep it) is up to them.

That's what we decided a couple of P&O cruises ago. I reckon that the number cancelling the AG is going to increase quite steeply this year.

I agree on our last couple of cruises, the cabin steward was so determined to get us to give an "excellent" rating on the end of cruise questionnaire, in the 7 days he must have mentioned it at least 3 times.

That's what we decided a couple of P&O cruises ago. I reckon that the number cancelling the AG is going to increase quite steeply this year.

You might think that from this forum, but maybe we are not representative of non forum members.

You might think that from this forum, but maybe we are not representative of non forum members.

You may be quite right although I suspect there must be a serious reduction in P&O's cash flow which is why there has been such a big increase in the AGs recently. I feel sure they must realise the % and frequency of increase won't go down well with their passengers, irrespective of your views on the principle of AGs, so to do it they must be feeling the draught.

I think we can agree on that John. Even if you added all the members on here to all the FB groups you are still only talking of 5 to 10 % of all cruisers on P&O. Possibly less with people being on multiple forums.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think we can agree on that John. Even if you added all the members on here to all the FB groups you are still only talking of 5 to 10 % of all cruisers on P&O. Possibly less with people being on multiple forums.

I'd agree that we are a small % of all cruisers on P&O, but FB gets a wider audience and there are people on there saying that they will cancel AG's and many others read their comments. I still think that cancellations of AG's will increase sharply this year.

It would be interesting to hear from people who are cruising at the moment if there are large queues of people at reception removing AGs.

There never has been. They usually just have a stack of forms to hand out.

The delay is usually seeing them disappear off the cabin bill as it can take them a few days to process them due to the volume.

I'd agree that we are a small % of all cruisers on P&O, but FB gets a wider audience and there are people on there saying that they will cancel AG's and many others read their comments. I still think that cancellations of AG's will increase sharply this year.

Not on the main FB fans page and on the other pages not everyone is as gullible as they seem to be on here. There is a great deal of scepticism of the postings that people are taking on here as verbatim. The post that shall not be mentioned came at a very convenient time and although sounding plausible just matched the rantings of some of the posts on here for the past year or so.

So no I do not think the numbers of people who remove auto tips will increase. They may increase because of the rise in the amount but not because of the dubious information given on here.

Not on the main FB fans page and on the other pages not everyone is as gullible as they seem to be on here. There is a great deal of scepticism of the postings that people are taking on here as verbatim. The post that shall not be mentioned came at a very convenient time and although sounding plausible just matched the rantings of some of the posts on here for the past year or so.

So no I do not think the numbers of people who remove auto tips will increase. They may increase because of the rise in the amount but not because of the dubious information given on here.

It's not about being gullible, it's all about trusting the AG system and sorry I don't trust it. At least I know that my money will be going to the staff, can you be sure that yours is ?

Dubious information? Genuinely puzzled by those words.

I think the thrust of this thread is that P&O have never confirmed that the payment of auto-tips by passengers makes one iota of difference to what the staff actually receive. All the evidence points the other way, in fact - that pay depends not on auto-tips but passenger feedback.

It does seem crystal clear (and nobody has suggested otherwise) that paying the auto-tip increases the profits available for distribution to Carnival shareholders but makes no difference whatever to the staff supposedly benefiting from it.

On that basis (and if there's any documentary evidence to the contrary I'd be interested to see it) any passenger who does not opt out must be happy to give P&O (and those Carnival shareholders) a nice little gift.

It's not about being gullible, it's all about trusting the AG system and sorry I don't trust it. At least I know that my money will be going to the staff, can you be sure that yours is ?

Yes thank you.

Dubious information? Genuinely puzzled by those words.

I think the thrust of this thread is that P&O have never confirmed that the payment of auto-tips by passengers makes one iota of difference to what the staff actually receive. All the evidence points the other way, in fact - that pay depends not on auto-tips but passenger feedback.

It does seem crystal clear (and nobody has suggested otherwise) that paying the auto-tip increases the profits available for distribution to Carnival shareholders but makes no difference whatever to the staff supposedly benefiting from it.

On that basis (and if there's any documentary evidence to the contrary I'd be interested to see it) any passenger who does not opt out must be happy to give P&O (and those Carnival shareholders) a nice little gift.

Sorry but I do not believe the information given on this page it is still all speculation.

I have no intention of getting into a discussion. As I said above others on other forum have taken the information which was supposedly from a member of staff with a very large piece of salt. If you think it is fact fine. I do not.

I concur. It's too easy to dismiss those who don't share your point of view as 'gullible' and very condescending too. I have yet to see a convincing explanation which persuades me that I am being gullible.

Sorry but I do not believe the information given on this page it is still all speculation.

I have no intention of getting into a discussion. As I said above others on other forum have taken the information which was supposedly from a member of staff with a very large piece of salt. If you think it is fact fine. I do not.

I've never actually seen the post to which you refer, so I'm basing my views on all the other evidence available - which very clearly points to the lack of any link whatever between the auto-tips and the payments made to the staff supposedly benefiting from them.

P&O have stated that additional pay will depend solely on feedback ratings. They've also said that they'll make those additional payments regardless of whether passengers opt out of the auto-tips. What they've never said is there's any kind of linkage between the payments P&O receive from auto-tips and what they pay out to staff - and there's a simple reason for that. They pocket the auto-tips and add them to general income from fares - the staff still get exactly the same regardless, subject to their performance ratings.

I see no evidence whatever to the contrary. If there were, I'm sure it would be available somewhere online or elsewhere. The reason there isn't any is that, put simply, it doesn't exist.

Obviously, you're free to believe whatever you like, and if you're happy to make gifts to Carnival shareholders, that's just fine.

But you don't have, so far as I can see, one jot of evidence to show that not paying auto-tips has any effect whatever on staff wages, as against simply increasing P&O profits. If you have, I'd be delighted to see it.

I've never actually seen the post to which you refer, so I'm basing my views on all the other evidence available - which very clearly points to the lack of any link whatever between the auto-tips and the payments made to the staff supposedly benefiting from them.

P&O have stated that additional pay will depend solely on feedback ratings. They've also said that they'll make those additional payments regardless of whether passengers opt out of the auto-tips. What they've never said is there's any kind of linkage between the payments P&O receive from auto-tips and what they pay out to staff - and there's a simple reason for that. They pocket the auto-tips and add them to general income from fares - the staff still get exactly the same regardless, subject to their performance ratings.

I see no evidence whatever to the contrary. If there were, I'm sure it would be available somewhere online or elsewhere. The reason there isn't any is that, put simply, it doesn't exist.

Obviously, you're free to believe whatever you like, and if you're happy to make gifts to Carnival shareholders, that's just fine.

But you don't have, so far as I can see, one jot of evidence to show that not paying auto-tips has any effect whatever on staff wages, as against simply increasing P&O profits. If you have, I'd be delighted to see it.

And you have no evidence of your theories.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

And really neither do you Dai, just a naive belief that P&O are whiter than white, and would never take advantage of their passengers and their staff.

Not at all John. I just do not take all the speculation on here and accept it as you do. Others on other forums have the same scepticism as I have regarding the “facts” which were presented and accepted by some on these boards.

It matters not a jot as I will do what I wish to do and so will you and others on here.

One of my concerns is and I have said this before if people misguidedly remove auto tips how do they reward those staff who serve them on freedom dining. Which is the main reason for bringing in auto tipping.

Not at all John. I just do not take all the speculation on here and accept it as you do. Others on other forums have the same scepticism as I have regarding the “facts” which were presented and accepted by some on these boards.

It matters not a jot as I will do what I wish to do and so will you and others on here.

One of my concerns is and I have said this before if people misguidedly remove auto tips how do they reward those staff who serve them on freedom dining. Which is the main reason for bringing in auto tipping.

That of course is only relevant if you believe that P&O only use the AG to provide the staff bonus. Which a number of us have pointed out that IF, everyone paid then P&O would collect far more than would be needed to pay the staff in full, never mind just the bonus, which then means that those paying the AG are having to pay far more than needed to cover P&O for those that don't pay.

I no longer intend to be one those Dai.

We always get obc for our select bookings so we leave the AG in place because we dine Freedom dining and tip extra in cash to CS and Speciality restaurant's.

With the numbers stopping AG I repeatedly say that a small increase in the cruise price to cover everyone's gratuities would be sensible and P&O could claim,

Gratuities Included.

We always get obc for our select bookings so we leave the AG in place because we dine Freedom dining and tip extra in cash to CS and Speciality restaurant's.

With the numbers stopping AG I repeatedly say that a small increase in the cruise price to cover everyone's gratuities would be sensible and P&O could claim,

Gratuities Included.

And they would still only give a small portion of it to the staff

This is a very thought provoking thread. I have have not cruised that much, but have always paid auto tips or had them included on an offer ( Celebrity) . But then also give extra to cabin steward and others who have given over and above. Have had an amazing young lady who stood with hand sanitizer when welcoming passengers back onboard and at mealtimes . Also those who keep the toilets and washrooms spotless. I like to think they would be included in auto tips but very much doubt it ! .