Chilean ports summer 2017/2018 valparaiso or san antonio ??

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:47 AM.
Australia
14 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by bcnvcanada
Does anyone how to get to Valparaiso from San Antonio?
Turbus has regular buses from San Aantonio to Valparaiso - 1 1/2 hour trip. It seems on their website you can only book 2 months in advance.
17 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
There is much traffic during the high season and that is the reason why some cruise companies have to disembark in San Antonio instead of Valparaiso.
Fortunatly I found a tour operator that can pick us up at San Antonio port and take us to Valparaiso and Santiago visiting the highlights. This is tourguideushuaia.net
Born in US- Lived in Argentina-Uruguay -Chile and now a days Colombia
111 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Hello Gphanton. Thanks for the info. I also found a tour operator that can pick up and take Chile (Valparaiso and Santiago) visits.
Liz Private Tours . This is lizflor2.blogspot.com
Seems to have all contacts around!
8 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by valparaiso
hello Koolforkatz,,,,dont worry,,,, it is very easy to go to Valparaiso from San Antonio port,,,,,i,,,do not miss the Valparaiso city,,,best regards
Princess just sent out emails. They are using the San Antonio Port for embarkation, debarkation. Rats. I called their hot line. They said they eould vontact me regarding my debarkstion excursion.
Grosse Pointe, MI
3,540 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
We are on a 2019 NCL cruise and I received this from my TA yesterday...

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners:

September 25, 2017

IMPORTANT PIER CHANGE INFORMATION

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information regarding Norwegian Sun's South America sailings departing from Chile of December 23, 2017; January 20, February 17, December 22, 2018, January 19, 2019; February 16, 2019 and March 16, 2019. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.
Because of berthing conflicts, the embarkation port for the previously mentioned Norwegian Sun sailings are being changed from Valparaiso to Puerto Central in San Antonio, Chile.
Puerto Central San Antonio is the biggest port in Chile. Transport companies, taxis and buses are familiar with the port and the location. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and look forward to welcoming you aboard the beautiful Norwegian Sun.
Sincerely,
Vivian Ewart
Vice President, Passenger Services

Miami, FL
1,390 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by buggins0402
We are on a 2019 NCL cruise and I received this from my TA yesterday...

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners:

September 25, 2017

IMPORTANT PIER CHANGE INFORMATION

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information regarding Norwegian Sun's South America sailings departing from Chile of December 23, 2017; January 20, February 17, December 22, 2018, January 19, 2019; February 16, 2019 and March 16, 2019. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.
Because of berthing conflicts, the embarkation port for the previously mentioned Norwegian Sun sailings are being changed from Valparaiso to Puerto Central in San Antonio, Chile.
Puerto Central San Antonio is the biggest port in Chile. Transport companies, taxis and buses are familiar with the port and the location. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and look forward to welcoming you aboard the beautiful Norwegian Sun.
Sincerely,
Vivian Ewart
Vice President, Passenger Services

Thanks so much! We are on NCL Sun Feb. 17, 2018 and have heard many rumors, but this is the first time I have seen it in writing.
Born in US- Lived in Argentina-Uruguay -Chile and now a days Colombia
111 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Yes seems to be that is the 2nd year that the San Antonio port replace the arrival ship to Valparaiso. That is like 1 hour and half.
If you take a private tour you can do tour and transfer with luggage to cover things, it will be a long day to cover all. Or you can explore the town of San Antonio wich has not too much but you can relax and feel more local culture as it not touristic. In a way WE help them to develop the area more touristic and get more jobs !
This is what my travel agent told me and they are connected with local guides in each port like (liz2arg at yahoo dot com) to organize cruiseship passengers first class private tours.
10 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
[quote=steelers36;54126497]Do a Google map and you will see the distance and estimated driving time.

You can get a taxi, van, bus service. Rent a car. Lots of choices.

We are doing a private tour in Valparaiso, so it is more costly because they have to pick us up and return us to San Antonio. But the up-charge was quite reasonable and competitive with us doing it ourselves.[/quote

Hello. I am wondering if you did this private tour successfully. We too are lookong for a Valparaiso / Santiago tour that picks up and drops off at San Antonia pier. Which company did you use? Reply to mktsurusaki ar yahoo dot com..
Canada
822 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Celebrity just changed to San Antonio too...something is definitely going on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Celebrity Century - 1999 - Western Med
Road Trip - 2002 Canada's East Coast and New England
Land - Southern Africa - 2004
Land - Jamaica - 2005
Land - Switzerland - 2006
Carnival Freedom - 2007 - Eastern Med
Carnival Liberty - November 7, 2009
Celebrity Millenium - September 7, 2012
Celebrity Summit-Bermuda, May 19, 2013
Celebrity Summit Bermuda, May 31, 2015
Carnival Magic September 3, 2016
Celebrity Infinity - November 23, 2017
Boston
27 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by valparaiso
All South America cruises stop normally in Valparaiso port for disembarking or embarking of their passengers,,,,please take note that next summer season 2017/2018 , two cruises companies, Norwegian Cruises and Carnival Cruises will begin their operations in San Antonio Port about 100 Kms south of Valparaiso port . Valparaiso Port and San Antonio port are the main ports in the central part of Chile,,,,You must check if your cruises begin/stop at Valparaiso Port or San Antonio, ,,,both ports are about 120 Km from Santiago capital city,,,,best Regards

Celebrity just announced our January 2018 trip will embark from San Antonio instead of Valparaiso so I think there are quite a few doing this.