Lets talk water

The unlimited access to bottled water is a major factor in purchasing the refreshment package, for me personally.

A couple specialty coffees throughout the day as well as the OJ at breakfast is nice too, but I get my money’s worth on the bottled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What do you do if you have to drink a lot of water? I don't need the expensive Evian waters, I just need bottled water without the salt that is in the ship water. Thanks

The ship's water supposedly does not contain excessive salt.

However, if you would rather consume bottled water other than Evian, you have options:

Bring on a case of water. Though this is against the rules, it is usually allowed.

Purchase the Refreshment unlimited beverage package.

Buy bottles as needed for around $3 per 500ml bottle.

Is there a "non-premium" bottled water on board as well? The minerals in Evian upset my stomach, so I'd prefer something else (even if it's just "drinking" water instead of spring water).

The single bottles sold by the bar and supplied as part of the unlimited beverage packages are not Evian. The brand varies, but typically something like Ice River Springs.

Is there a "non-premium" bottled water on board as well? The minerals in Evian upset my stomach, so I'd prefer something else (even if it's just "drinking" water instead of spring water).

The bottled water included in the refreshment and deluxe packages is spring water. Recently, it has been Ice River Springs. That is also the water they sell if you buy it by the bottle.

There are Dasani flavored waters in the freestyle machines, since Dasani is nothing but filtered water.

The drink package referenced above also include San Peligrino sparkling water but that is libel to upset your stomach too since it is a mineral water.

You could also bring a Brita water bottle which will filter out all salts/minerals that may possibly be in the ship's water which I have no issue with. Much more convenient than hauling around a heavy case of bottled water and way better for the environment. Actually, I've been avoiding bottled water of late due to reports of chemicals lfrom the plastic eaching into the water, especially if left out in the heat.

I prefer to order the package where a fixed number of bottles are placed in your cabin. I pay the premium for convenience. If I need to top up, I buy additional bottles at port stops.

Recently, bottled water has been added to list of free drinks available for Diamond so this has opened up a new option for us.

I also request water as the Crown and Anchor welcome gift. Not sure at what level this becomes available but it is a handy perk.

Finally, if you are in a suite then bottled water is free in the suite lounge on Oasis class ships. Not sure whether this is the case on other classes.

We had a drink package, so just grabbed a bottle of water here and there to keep in our stateroom for drinking. I found they weren't very cold most of the time, so I liked them better after being in our mini fridge for a while (overnight was best).

A previous post about water on board from chengkp75:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54219684&postcount=25

Also, this longer thread with more posts and detailed explanations by chengkp75:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1179203

Neither of those links has any actual data comparing the water on the ship to Ice River Springs water or any other bottled water.

Neither of those links has any actual data comparing the water on the ship to Ice River Springs water or any other bottled water.

Did you miss post #34 in the second link? chengkp75 references typical sodium levels in the different sources of water.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51885781&postcount=34

Did you miss what I asked cb and what I stated in my other posts?

:confused:

You asked for a link to information about the comparison of sodium content between ship's water and bottled water, correct?

I provided links wherein a chief engineer explained how water is taken or produced on board, and the relative sodium levels in each source.

:confused:

You asked for a link to information about the comparison of sodium content between ship's water and bottled water, correct?

I provided links wherein a chief engineer explained how water is taken or produced on board, and the relative sodium levels in each source.

Not going to go around in circles with you. No one on these boards has any actual data comparing the ship's water to any bottled water. No one, that I am aware of, posts on these boards and works for Royal Caribbean and has the ability to post such information.

Water tanks are filled during turnaround day, from the land. They are than filtered etc since they are in holding tanks. When the supply runs out, they will process more water with the on board plant. So the argument goes about salt in water, but all water contains different elements that are filtered out. Most salt on the ships are the salt in the foods you eat.

But this can be argued all day and all night.

Not going to go around in circles with you. No one on these boards has any actual data comparing the ship's water to any bottled water. No one, that I am aware of, posts on these boards and works for Royal Caribbean and has the ability to post such information.

If you need actual data you may have to get the water tested yourself by taking several samples over a period of time. In general, it is well understood that the desalination plants eliminate all or nearly all salts and minerals. The primary source of sodium in ship's water is from shore side (municipal) water sources, the amount of which most likely varies depending on whether the ship is in port (using shore side water) or at sea (generating distilled water). https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/drinking-water-onboard-regulation

Also on a recent Harmony cruise the chief engineer said that they try and "top off" the holding tanks while at sea so they don't have to rely on shore side water when in port.

Your insistence on "actual data" (raw test reports?) seems to imply that you're skeptical of what's been said regarding the low salinity of ship's water, is that correct?

The explanations I have read seem logical to me, and I'd wager also for most other people who have read the same information. Based on how water is produced on the ship, it is extremely low in sodium, unless you believe RCI has been completely derelict in their maintenance and water quality testing programs. Otherwise for potable water taken on, it's dependent on the local source.

Even bottled water from any brand does not have raw test data available for the public to see, as far as I know. The best you can probably get is the information from the label on the bottle, indicating typical sodium content in parts per million, not test results for that specific bottle.

Your insistence on "actual data" (raw test reports?) seems to imply that you're skeptical of what's been said regarding the low salinity of ship's water, is that correct?

The explanations I have read seem logical to me, and I'd wager also for most other people who have read the same information. Based on how water is produced on the ship, it is extremely low in sodium, unless you believe RCI has been completely derelict in their maintenance and water quality testing programs. Otherwise for potable water taken on, it's dependent on the local source.

Even bottled water from any brand does not have raw test data available for the public to see, as far as I know. The best you can probably get is the information from the label on the bottle, indicating typical sodium content in parts per million, not test results for that specific bottle.

I asked CB to provide a link to support her claim, nothing more, nothing less. The whole water thing is beaten to death around here. Many post it is better than what the poster they are answering drinks at home without even knowing what they drink at home. Many post that what people react to on the ship is the food and isn't the water, but not all people actual drink municipal water at home, some drink only spring water, others only their own well water, so your system gets used to drinking one thing.

Many people have proven they react to drinking the ship's water and have proven that drinking bottled spring water causes less problems. Many say use a brita bottle, that does not help, been there, tried that.

I simply asked for a link to actual data that supports a poster's statement, nothing more, nothing less.

Since I work for a company that sells water products I can guarantee you that what the Chief has posted are facts.

People dismiss the facts because the are not in an authoratative document from RCI, as if the people in Miami have any idea how water is served on the ships.

Most bottled water is tap water. Which means there is sodium in it. Drinking bottled water you are likely to get the same sodium or more sodium than drinking tap water on the ship. There is almost zero chance of the opposite.

That said, I don't care if you drink bottled water, enjoy and keep buying bottled water it helps keep your grocery store and the ships profitable.

JC