Ridiculous scene of chair hogging on serenity/Carnival needs to wake up

Universe93B

This was the scene on the Valor 6-day, last sea day, at 8:30AM. By 11:45AM, not even half of the people had showed up! I stayed the entire afternoon, and found out people were reserving different groups of chairs around the entire ship. There were only 2 arguments out loud, and most people were afraid to move others' stuff. However, many comments were made to Carnival staff about the chair hogging, and NOTHING at all was done.

Carnival needs to be like RCI and have a "deck patrol" because these people are making the Serenity deck absolutely useless. It doesn't matter if this is beating a dead horse, because Carnival needs to eventually realize what they need to do.

valorchairhog.jpg

This was the scene on the Valor 6-day, last sea day, at 8:30AM. By 11:45AM, not even half of the people had showed up! I stayed the entire afternoon, and found out people were reserving different groups of chairs around the entire ship. There were only 2 arguments out loud, and most people were afraid to move others' stuff. However, many comments were made to Carnival staff about the chair hogging, and NOTHING at all was done.

Carnival needs to be like RCI and have a "deck patrol" because these people are making the Serenity deck absolutely useless. It doesn't matter if this is beating a dead horse, because Carnival needs to eventually realize what they need to do.

valorchairhog.jpg

what is the best way to handle these types of sistuations after an hour of people not showing up can i politely move their towel? I booked a 9day european cruise for oct,11 2013 on the new sunshine. :)

thanks in advance

ps. is everyone addicted to readding these ALL day?:)

what is the best way to handle these types of sistuations after an hour of people not showing up can i politely move their towel? I booked a 9day european cruise for oct,11 2013 on the new sunshine. :)

thanks in advance

When all available chairs are taken by humans and inanimate objects, humans always take precedent over inanimate objects. They get removed, and I make myself king of my chair.

I like someone's recent suggestion of taking a picture of the chair with a time stamp. If they show up within 15 minutes, I would probably move. Anything longer than that, if they start to complain, I will let them know of my evidence.

Most often than not, though, I drop the stuff and move the chair. This eliminates any chance of confrontation.

thanks in advance

Yes, I think the sign says 30 minutes unattended. So I would wait about 45 mins and then you can move it aside and tell them to read the rules. :)

valorchairhog.jpg

That's one thing we did not do. Hog nor save chairs. If we sat to eat or relax we found seats and did that. When we left we left and if we decided to come back we found new seats it wasn't that hard or a big deal to us but if I had wanted to sun bathe i would have had to hunt hard because most seats were kept all day long I just didn't sun bathe

Take a picture of the chair with your camera or cellphone, then go get a drink and come back 30 minutes later. If items are at the exact same location (which means the owner did not return, then left to go to the restroom), go ahead and take the chair. If owner wants to start an argument, call Carnival personnel and show him the pic.

If you don't like confrontations and don't mind some exercise, discard the items, then drag the chair to another section of the Serenity deck. That way the chairhog won't know it was the chair he had claimed previously.

Yeah, that pic illustrates the frustration some are feeling over chair hogging pretty clearly I'd say! I would have NP moving someones stuff after 30 minutes AND as MrPete suggests, I think it is a great idea to move the chair when possible, to avoid the loud OINKING of the chair hog upon their return.

As for the Christmas shopping idea, I'm gonna try to stay away from giving used towels and books that I STOLE, as Christmas presents!!:eek::p LOL

valorchairhog.jpg

Not a hog! I'm 90% sure that's me sitting there in that front row. That's about where I was sitting the entire day, and between me and my sweetie, we never left our stuff entirely alone. :D

Not a hog! I'm 90% sure that's me sitting there in that front row. That's about where I was sitting the entire day, and between me and my sweetie, we never left our stuff entirely alone. :D

Do you agree that the other chairs were left unattended for a significant portion of time?

I could have taken the exact picture on the Liberty a few weeks ago! So frustrating! It was impossible to find one chair anywhere at 8:30 in the morning! I had an encounter with a woman who was saving 20 chairs on one of the tiers on the Lido...she was very rude and nasty about it when I told her she could not save chairs! I have not sailed Royal Caribbean in a long time-what is their deck patrol like?

I don't think JH - or the beards - will ever do anything about the Chair Hog epidemic that breaks out on Carnival. They don't like getting their hands dirty, which is quite a shame. We're going to probably have to stop booking Spirit-class ships as all of their Adult Pool areas have been converted to the Serenity concept, which means that we will never be able to get a chair in the sun.

Unless, of course, we move anything that is on chairs that we want to occupy. And I have absolutely no problem standing up for my right to a chair that someone left their things on for more than 30 minutes. I *heart* confrontation on a ship when it comes to this!

If CCL doesn't want to staff up the decks to enforce, I'd at least love to see the day they PRINT the no chair hog rule onto the cushion (Serenity) or the dark blue matting (rest of ship) of the deck chair itself. A little unsightly? Maybe for some, but much better than the chair hog situation IMHO, and how is it different than a small No Smoking sign at a table?

Maybe something that looks like this, near the "fold" of the chair so no one has to stare at it while tanning their back or napping face down:

Chairhogs.jpg

I've seen the signs but they're not always conspicuous. This would make it so that no chair hog could hog their chair without staring the policy down while in the act. Might deter some first time hogs which would prevent them from being repeat offenders.

I could have taken the exact picture on the Liberty a few weeks ago! So frustrating! It was impossible to find one chair anywhere at 8:30 in the morning! I had an encounter with a woman who was saving 20 chairs on one of the tiers on the Lido...she was very rude and nasty about it when I told her she could not save chairs! I have not sailed Royal Caribbean in a long time-what is their deck patrol like?

They have an actual army of Deck Patrol individuals.

They will stop anyone looking like they are setting up camp, and will time stamp any stuff left unattended. After 10 minutes, they move the stuff to the end of the chair row. Another 10 minutes, they collect the stuff and bring it to the towell cabana.

This goes on until all the chairs appear to be occupied, which is usually around 10ish.

And oh so amusing to watch.

They have an actual army of Deck Patrol individuals.

They will stop anyone looking like they are setting up camp, and will time stamp any stuff left unattended. After 10 minutes, they move the stuff to the end of the chair row. Another 10 minutes, they collect the stuff and bring it to the towell cabana.

This goes on until all the chairs appear to be occupied, which is usually around 10ish.

And oh so amusing to watch.

Sounds like a good plan.

Archived