Birthday signs on cabin doors

becknal

A practical question - if you are on a cruise where would u get bits and pieces to decorate with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote:

Well the door decorating was fun and the doors were very interesting. We knew about the contest for a few days ahead so I guess people picked up some stuff as they traveled.

If you want to see what some of the people did/used look at my Blog. I posted some pictures in the blog: Wednesday, Day 46 - Feb 21.

www.2018worldcruise.blogspot.com

Do put up a Birthday sign if you want. You will not be the only one to do so.

I have question for you. Since we have not seen many decorated doors in our 30 cruises, do you think that this was done just for the World Cruise? Also, did everyone decorate doors? With all due respect (and we have sailed with you so you know that I truly respect you), the doors like a project for a 1st grade class. Do you feel that this represents Regent?

Thanks much,

Jackie

TC aka Jackie, maybe it was for s bit of fun considering lots of sea days and rough seas and weather? Like a distraction? Besides deep inside we all have a 1st grader ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have question for you. Since we have not seen many decorated doors in our 30 cruises, do you think that this was done just for the World Cruise? Also, did everyone decorate doors? With all due respect (and we have sailed with you so you know that I truly respect you), the doors like a project for a 1st grade class. Do you feel that this represents Regent?

Thanks much,

Jackie

Did not do it on last world cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Regent sponsored "Door Decorating Contest" for us came during the 2014 Los Angeles to Auckland Cruise on the Mariner. I have photos of several doors (including ours which won a first place prize). You can view the doors on my web page at http://www.billinlodi.com It is in the "2014 Hawaii/Tahiti photos" page, December 22nd and 23rd.

If Regent was not ok with doors being "decorated", they would not have such contests, or give out magnetic plates commemorating World/Special Cruises to put on doors.

Really trying to see your (and others) point of view but it is really difficult. Agree that part of us are first graders but I don't want to share that part of me with strangers. There are so many things to do on sea days that I see no need to decorate doors. On the other hand, I've heard of contests where passengers make "boats" and see which ones float the longest or are the best. At least it doesn't make Regent look like Carnival.

Regent does a Country Fair when there are multiple sea days. It is a blast with crew members from each department dressing up and having silly games that passengers win Regent points for. It is a two hour event and doesn't affect the rest of the ship.

It appears that Regent doesn't know what it is doing when it comes to door decorations. One poster was asked to remove a Cruise Critic magnet from their door while silly pictures seem to be okay and they have a door decorating contest on the World Cruise (this year - not last year).

I guess that I don't care what people do if it doesn't affect us and tacky door decorations does not fall into that category (unless it were a two hour event that was judged and then the decorations were taken down).

I remember on one cruise (and only one cruise) where a table of four always had some kind of lighted hats/antenna/whatever on their heads. They definitely did not draw the type of attention that they probably hoped that they would. I've always wondered if they would return to Regent - given that they would likely have preferred a cruise line where other people would appreciate and join in with their fun.

As I mentioned, we will be onboard the Voyager for Easter. I expect that Regent will have cakes, eggs, bunnies, etc. but will look out for door decorations and will report back as part of my blog. The current blogs have been so good that I'm not sure what I will write about. Stay tuned:D

I can see your point and personally not sure I would decorate the door myself (unless there was a contest) and if I tried my DH will be mortified and would not stop until I take it down. On our recent Celebrity cruise they put a Happy Birthday sign on our door- I tell you, it did not stay there long ;)

We had a paper Christmas Reef on our door over the holidays and so did others with other holiday decorations. My gosh what is the big deal? We have seen this on all luxury lines. Some of us are young at heart and it’s not like someone looking at the artwork nor was the ship loaded with door decorations...just walk by it.

I can see your point and personally not sure I would decorate the door myself (unless there was a contest) and if I tried my DH will be mortified and would not stop until I take it down. On our recent Celebrity cruise they put a Happy Birthday sign on our door- I tell you, it did not stay there long ;)

Laughing at your comment about the Happy Birthday sign:D.

MalbecWine: So you have been on all luxury cruise lines. I'm impressed. We have only been on Silversea (besides for Regent) and didn't see any door decorations. Which is your favorite luxury cruise line? Just curious.

It's not my style, but it was a contest. I don't think people kept them up on the door for the whole cruise like Disney and others. I don't care for Trivia, it's loud, screaming--if your having a drink near by, not so great. But it's a contest, it's fun for those that want to be a part of the game. No big deal. Rick

Laughing at your comment about the Happy Birthday sign:D.

MalbecWine: So you have been on all luxury cruise lines. I'm impressed. We have only been on Silversea (besides for Regent) and didn't see any door decorations. Which is your favorite luxury cruise line? Just curious.

We like Regent and Seabourn and have done a couple of Crystal their ships are getting long in the tooth but good service. Silversea was too formal for us.

You probably would have seen Christmas decorations on some suites but as I mentioned you don’t see many. Some charters or partial charters will have some for their groups and saw this on the Voyager a couple of years ago...nothing political is allowed however.

I have question for you. Since we have not seen many decorated doors in our 30 cruises, do you think that this was done just for the World Cruise?

No, this was not really a World Cruise event. I think it was aimed at the Segment cruisers....Auckland to Perth. Though both groups were represented.

Also, did everyone decorate doors?

No, of course not, but there are decorated doors besides the ones done for the contest.

With all due respect (and we have sailed with you so you know that I truly respect you), the doors like a project for a 1st grade class. Do you feel that this represents Regent?

I will say yes, as I feel cruising should be fun including cruising on a luxury line.

Thanks much,

Jackie

Jackie we cruise or have cruised on most all major lines..mainstream and luxury... over the last 30+ years. I do not mind stuff on the doors. In fact I agree it is sort of breaks up the sameness. There were some birthday and Anniversary stuff on some doors on Seaboun this past Sept.

I also taught High School years ago and my students loved to decorate the class room door, so it isn't just for 6 year olds. Of course, I still decorate my front door for each holiday so my opinion may not count.

Carolyn

TravelCat,

Why do you think every door "decoration" is tacky? We put up a few pictures of our dogs (which are inside plastic magnetic holders flat against the door much like the gold Regent metal door tags). As I mentioned, our neighbors ask us about our dogs, as do several crew and staff.

Regent does not have rules about door decorations.,,and who is going to decide what is tacky and what is not. Maybe some think the Regent signs are tacky. If you want to be the "door police" for them...fine...apply for the job.

As I tell my partner when he sees something aboard that he does not thrill on...."when you own Regent, you can make the rules".

I think there are bigger fish to fry here.

If you don't like the "decorations", look the other way.

Wow, who knew OP's simple question would engender such a response!

For me, if it puts a smile on DW, I will happily (OK , somewhat grudgingly) haul the decoration in my luggage and hang it on our cabin door. I will continue such action until Regent somehow (officially or unofficially) tells me not to.

PS1: Walls in Explorer aisles are not "boring" but rather filled with great and historically interesting photos.

PS2: We love the "first-grade activities" of bean-bag toss, ring toss and "build a boat"; Regent gives lots of Regent Rewards and the lines of participants are often long.

please excuse double post. There really is no need to report back on cabin door decorations. Everyone gets it. Why not photo shop some fancy toppers on your cats and pop them on your door...with regent magnets. You could even use them on your upcoming NCL cruise.

I'm amazed at how inventive some of these creations are. "fun" and"tacky" mean different things to different people.

The Regent sponsored "Door Decorating Contest" for us came during the 2014 Los Angeles to Auckland Cruise on the Mariner. I have photos of several doors (including ours which won a first place prize). You can view the doors on my web page at www.billinlodi.com It is in the "2014 Hawaii/Tahiti photos" page, December 22nd and 23rd.

If Regent was not ok with doors being "decorated", they would not have such contests, or give out magnetic plates commemorating World/Special Cruises to put on doors.

Bill,

Loved your door. But where did you steal the tree from. ;)

You and M are on the E next month during St Pattys day. Maybe will should ask for another door contest. We'll be ready. Looking forward to sailing with you both again.

J

JMariner,

Matt (without me knowing) packed the small tree to decorate the inside our cabin. We put it outside the door just for the hour of judging. I even added music (Carpenters Christmas which I had on my computer) placed under the tree. Matt was very creative in finding the rest of the items for the door.

Unknown to him, I had brought the Christmas stockings from home, also for inside the cabin.

The only thing that I originally had on the door of that cruise was the photos of the dogs.

Personally I think any "Door Decoration" is TTFW (too tacky for words) and I would not, could not do it. Jackie's point about offending others is something I had not considered but it is a very valid point.

We were on an Oceania cruise in November. I had NEVER seen "door decorations" on either Regent or Oceania before but on this particular cruise apparently some US football team fans (or college alumni? I don't know which because I don't know anything about US football) decorated their doors. Most people just laughed at them.

I would not do it and I wish others wouldn't either. It makes the hallways look as though one is on Carnival (though that said - I have never been on one of their ships!)

Personally I think any "Door Decoration" is TTFW (too tacky for words) and I would not, could not do it. Jackie's point about offending others is something I had not considered but it is a very valid point.

We were on an Oceania cruise in November. I had NEVER seen "door decorations" on either Regent or Oceania before but on this particular cruise apparently some US football team fans (or college alumni? I don't know which because I don't know anything about US football) decorated their doors. Most people just laughed at them.

I would not do it and I wish others wouldn't either. It makes the hallways look as though one is on Carnival (though that said - I have never been on one of their ships!)

Ditto! Decorate the inside of your suite, not the hallway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Forgive the poor photo from our very first Regent cruise in 2008, when door decoration was very much the thing for the World Cruisers to identify with.

untitled-M.jpg

Whilst not something I'd want to do myself, I don't see it as offensive in any way. Each to their own!

Forgive the poor photo from our very first Regent cruise in 2008, when door decoration was very much the thing for the World Cruisers to identify with.

untitled-M.jpg

Whilst not something I'd want to do myself, I don't see it as offensive in any way. Each to their own!

Gilly, I find that decoration very tasteful.

untitled-M.jpg

To me it is that it is "TTFW". Maybe tackiness is in the eyes of the beholder.