Celebrity St Petersburg 2 day trip cancelled

CHAMPAGNELASS

Booked a Celebrity 2 day small group St Petersburg tour on Silhouette end of May at the start of the year and just had an email to say it has been cancelled. It doesn’t give a specific reason just a choice of reasons why this has happened. Has anyone else had a similar email. Is it that specific tour that is a problem or St Petersburg tours as a whole. I think Celebrity should have provided more information as to the exact reason this tour is cancelled.

Try one if the reputable local tour companies. We used SPB, but Alla Tours and others are equally reliable. You do not need a visa if you use tone of these companies, you just email passport details and they will respond with a letter to be shown when leaving the port. You do not have to pay until the end of the first day. We were very happy with our two day tour and it was less expensive than those offered by the ship.

Booked a Celebrity 2 day small group St Petersburg tour on Silhouette end of May at the start of the year and just had an email to say it has been cancelled. It doesn’t give a specific reason just a choice of reasons why this has happened. Has anyone else had a similar email. Is it that specific tour that is a problem or St Petersburg tours as a whole. I think Celebrity should have provided more information as to the exact reason this tour is cancelled.

It's entirely possible that people are finally realizing that they get much better value from the private tour operators in St. Petersburg. Much smaller groups, more customization, less cost. I still remember pulling up at the Hermitage and seeing the Celebrity groups standing in a long line to get in while we waltzed right past them with our small Alla group. So maybe Celebrity did not manage to get the numbers it needed to make the tour work.

It's entirely possible that people are finally realizing that they get much better value from the private tour operators in St. Petersburg. Much smaller groups, more customization, less cost. I still remember pulling up at the Hermitage and seeing the Celebrity groups standing in a long line to get in while we waltzed right past them with our small Alla group. So maybe Celebrity did not manage to get the numbers it needed to make the tour work.

That certainly makes a lot of sense! Private local tours are so much better.

Sorry this happened, but as was mentioned above, find another tour operator or join a tour on your roll call.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the Scandinavia and Baltics cruise a few years back and used TJ Travel. We did a two day tour with them. It was a private tour with just my husband and I. It was an amazing two days. The link to TJ is: https://st-petersburg-tours.ru/

I did a review of the cruise here on CC, this is the link to the St Petersburg section if you would like to see what TJ arranged for us: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095403&page=6

We did the Scandinavia and Baltics cruise a few years back and used TJ Travel. We did a two day tour with them. It was a private tour with just my husband and I. It was an amazing two days. The link to TJ is: https://st-petersburg-tours.ru/

I did a review of the cruise here on CC' date=' this is the link to the St Petersburg section if you would like to see what TJ arranged for us: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095403&page=6[/quote']

Thanks, will look into this.

I’m more annoyed that we haven’t been given a reason for this cancellation. I expected more from Celebrity !

On the other hand, does it really matter? It's canceled.

The private tour advice you're getting is what you need, not why the original tour was canceled. I'd be happy that I was notified so I could book something else.

At least they told you now...we were told that our tour in New Zealand was canceled when we boarded the ship in Sydney a couple of years ago. It was before the faster internet on board so we were stuck with a DIY day because doing a real online search was impossible. Stuff happens

My DH and I also did a private, two day tour of St. Petersburg. We had a driver and a guide for just the two of us using SPB. Originally, my IMG_1519506512.363827.thumb.jpg.758ce1c8e4d4d53575f9708799499a58.jpgDH thought I was a little crazy, but after the first hour on the first day, he thanked me for arranging this tour.

We skipped all the lines and even when it some back entrances. Yes, it is expensive, but it was so worth it, as we got to see places that were off-limits for larger groups of people. We could ask any questions and get immediate feedback. In addition, it was actually quieter and we ate at a private restaurant with wonderful service. No buses, no waiting and such a wonderful experience to remember...We even got to see when Putin stays when he is there. There was a somewhat set itinerary, but we added some changes due to our curiosity.

Our driver was one of the first women to become a driver and our guide was a six-foot four-inch student who spoke wonderful English. Just an opportunity choice that we made as people who worked in education and didn't think that we'd return. This was the best tour we have ever done, with Europe being our favorite place to cruise.

Edited by Lastdance

• 4 weeks later...

I did a review of the cruise here on CC' date=' this is the link to the St Petersburg section if you would like to see what TJ arranged for us: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095403&page=6[/quote']

I agree! TJ arranged a great trip for my group of friends. I used them in three other countries as well. Easy to deal with and tour guides were great

We are taking the Celebrity Silhouette cruise out of South Hampton May 26th and would love to join a group for a one or two day tour of St. Petersburg on June 1st and/or 2nd. Anyone out there with a group we could join?

Thanks,

2 from Vancouver BC

You’d probably have better luck posting this on the roll call for your cruise. Here’s the link. Good luck.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/celebrity-silhouette-may-26-2018/

I am due to do this cruise on 4th August sailing. We tried to book the small group tour with Celebrity and were told it wasn’t being offered for our cruise due to the academic library being closed. Not sure if this is the same reason that caused the May sailing’s small group tour cancellation or if the small group tours are not being offered any more.

I’m sure it must be a Celebrity issue. Taking an approved tour in St Petersburg is really just as easy as taking a Celebrity tour, so I would also suggest booking one of those. We went with Alla Tours and would recommend it.

Alla are fab !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

hi Champagnelass, Celebrity is our favourite cruise line but not for their tours. We have used SPB and TJ travel in St. Ps. Both are equally good with wonderful guides and drivers who both spoke excellent English.

Do go on your roll call that is where we find people to meet up with and go on tours. Our last one was a wonderful three day tour with a couple from USA. An amazing tour with just the four of us. We saw so much, jumped the queues and I think you have been given a second chance to see so much more in St. P than you were going to do.

Hapicruisin

We are on this cruise leaving Southampton on 7th May and looking to join a small group in St Petersberg

Head over to the roll call--a lot of cruisers have set up tours with lots of different companies.

i`d definitely recommend SPB. Small groups around 12 . We saw ...everything..i mean...everything...in 2 days..highly recommended

I agree.... last year we did the 2 days. With SPB they did an excellent job. HIGHLY......RECOMENDED

Sent from my iPad using Forums