Asking a questions about a time-old problem

wynlyn

Both my husband and I get very annoyed and frustrated trying to find a cruise line that allows us to smoke on our private balcony - we are now using the electronic cigarettes, but have been advised by various cruise lines that the electronic cigarettes are being classed in the same category as the real thing - WHATTHA - yes, we might be smokers but we are also trying to be considerate to non-smokers - can anyone recommend a cruise line that does not discriminate between smokers & non-smokers and that still allow smoking on private suite balconies. We have always tried to pick suites at the back of the ships so that our smoking doesn't upset others - it's becoming increasingly obvious that non-smokers are ruling the high seas!! :)

BTW - if ANY non-smokers object to this question, please just ignore the temptation of making any snide remark, we've heard them all before and it will fall on deaf ears - at least we're both trying to do the right thing :rolleyes:

I totally hate the smell of smoking but I have to agree w you on the e-cigs. They have no objectionable odor. Also, they probably do not cause cancer. However, they present the appearance of smoking and that is the problem a lot of people have with them.

DON

P and O allow smoking on balconies.

Sorry Jay, but I believe P&O have now introduced a non-smoking policy on private balconies.

For what it's worth, I understand the problems some non smokers have with people smoking on adjacent balconies, but I think an area of the ship where cabins with balconies can be used for smoking would perhaps be a good option. I'm sure though there may still be problems for smokers and non-smokers with every policy.

Both my husband and I get very annoyed and frustrated trying to find a cruise line that allows us to smoke on our private balcony - we are now using the electronic cigarettes, but have been advised by various cruise lines that the electronic cigarettes are being classed in the same category as the real thing - WHATTHA - yes, we might be smokers but we are also trying to be considerate to non-smokers - can anyone recommend a cruise line that does not discriminate between smokers & non-smokers and that still allow smoking on private suite balconies. We have always tried to pick suites at the back of the ships so that our smoking doesn't upset others - it's becoming increasingly obvious that non-smokers are ruling the high seas!! :)

BTW - if ANY non-smokers object to this question, please just ignore the temptation of making any snide remark, we've heard them all before and it will fall on deaf ears - at least we're both trying to do the right thing :rolleyes:

I believe that HAL allows smoking on balconies but not in cabins.

However smoking on balcony is major problem to neighbors since the smoke drifts.

I think the reason ecigs are in same category as cigarettes is because from appearance it is hard for crew and other passengers to see difference.

Because the e-cigs produce no odor or smoke, using it IN your cabin will be undetectable! Just saying...

In fact, no need for cloak&dagger on many lines.;)

Princess for instance specifically state e-cigs are allowed in cabins, for the reasons you mention.

JB :)

If it seems non-smokers 'rule the high seas' as OP suggests, it is likely because the latest statistic is that 18% of adult North Americans smoke. With such an overwhelming majority, it wouldn't be surprising smoking is so frowned upon.

I realize not everyone is from North America but if you sail these major cruise lines, you are sailing with a great many of us from there.

If it seems non-smokers 'rule the high seas' as OP suggests, it is likely because the latest statistic is that 18% of adult North Americans smoke. With such an overwhelming majority, it wouldn't be surprising smoking is so frowned upon.

I realize not everyone is from North America but if you sail these major cruise lines, you are sailing with a great many of us from there.

I agree with your answer for the most part. But saying that only 18% of adults in North America smoke might be slightly misleading. Many smokers are "closet smokers" They only smoke when they drink, etc. better than habitual smokers, but they are still smoking.

Even though an E-cig doesn't have the same problems as a regular cigarette there are issues.

One is the smell. Some of those vapors are more off putting than tobacco smoke.

The other reason is look. Not much difference in the look of vapor and smoke. Discovered this in the Big Red Barn of the LA County Fair. The animal enclosures are filled with pine shavings, very flammable pine shavings. The e-cig guy was checked out by several workers, making sure it was an e-cig, not a regular smoke. If you are seen on ship's camera (in the wrong area) they just might come looking for you.

Even though an E-cig doesn't have the same problems as a regular cigarette there are issues.

One is the smell. Some of those vapors are more off putting than tobacco smoke.

The other reason is look. Not much difference in the look of vapor and smoke. Discovered this in the Big Red Barn of the LA County Fair. The animal enclosures are filled with pine shavings, very flammable pine shavings. The e-cig guy was checked out by several workers, making sure it was an e-cig, not a regular smoke. If you are seen on ship's camera (in the wrong area) they just might come looking for you.

City of Boston just enacted new regulations that ban smoking in any City maintained parks and gardens. E-cigarettes are included in the ban. The announcement was made it will be enforced and there will be significant penalty for violators. Most cruise ships have included e-cigarettes in their smoking bans. They can only be used in areas where smoking is permitted on those ships.

NCL's CEO, Kevin Sheehan, has also stated in the last two days that NCL have no plans to change their smoking policy at this time, so my balcony smoke and a coffee in the morning is safe for the moment.

I'm not sure 'safe' is the best word to use in connection with smoking and cruise ship balcony. :eek: :D

In 2012 Princess specifically allowed E-cigs with a caveat that if a passenger complained even after being told the difference from a real cigarette you would be asked to extinguish it. I don't know whether this has changed.

Do E-cigs even have an odor?

In 2012 Princess specifically allowed E-cigs with a caveat that if a passenger complained even after being told the difference from a real cigarette you would be asked to extinguish it. I don't know whether this has changed.

In theory, no. The odor is typically the smell of boiling water (yes, to me that has a smell). But when you start adding flavors they do. I find them overly sweet and cloying.

In theory, no. The odor is typically the smell of boiling water (yes, to me that has a smell). But when you start adding flavors they do. I find them overly sweet and cloying.

Many thanks everyone for responses, it's nice to read comments that don't include any sarcastic remarks (a nice change from Twitter & other on-line chat rooms) :)

Although I was a bit bemused by Shmoo's comment regarding the smell of boiling water - hmmm, that hadn't occurred to me before.

Both my husband and I enjoy the cruising life and will check out the suggested cruiselines

Cheers

Wynlyn

The only problem I have had was recently my wife got a bottle of stuff that smelled like strawberries-It makes me hungry when she smokes it!

As JB stated, Princess does allow e-cigs in the cabin and on the balcony.

I also agree with wynlyn that it is nice to see the thread with no sarcastic comments

As someone who has been an ex-smoker for 13 years, I just don't GET e-cigs. If you are truly committed to quitting, then you have to give up everything associated to smoking and that includes the feel of a cigarette in your mouth/hand etc. If you're vaping, you're still smoking!

As a smoker of 53 years, I congratulate you on being able to totally quit. Unfortunately, I tried everything from gum, to patch to medication and nothing worked. After a week or two I was right back smoking. Call me weak.

Then a co-worker told me about e-cigs. They are wonderful. I have been off tobacco cigarettes for 8 months (SOMETHING I NEVER THOUGHT I'D BE ABLE TO SAY). Yes, I am still getting the nicotine, but not all of the carcinogens and chemicals manufacturers put in the paper and tobacco. And vaping is totally different than smoking (YOU DON'T INHALE THE VAPOR INTO YOUR LUNGS).

And to answer Underwatr, YES they can smell like watermelons, lemonade, black cherries or any number of other flavors, but the vapor dissipates faster than smoke and leaves no residue. I've had people walk into my house and notice right away there is no smoke odor (they all know I'm a smoker). The shop where I purchase the juice has about 50 different flavors.

dread_pirate, you are absolutely correct. As time goes on, e-cigs may be found to be just as bad as cigarettes, but for now they are a great alternative to real cigarettes for me.

OP, I cruised NCL just prior to going to the e-Cig and had no problem finding a place to smoke my cigarettes on deck and I had a stern balcony cabin that was heaven to sit out there and smoke (not as windy as a side balcony). Have a great cruise. I like HAL too (a little more elegant in my mind than NCL).

Edited by agabbymama

I was perusing the princess site in prep for my upcoming cruise. They state only a few places are off limit to e-cigs (foodservice areas primarily). As previously mentioned, if asked by another passenger to stop the user would be obligated to quit using the device. I don't necessarily agree that e-cigs are safe and don't pose any unintended second hand exposure effects, but that is currently their policy.

Still in effect afaik, and Princess allows e-cigarette use anywhere onboard except in the MDR and Theatre.

Thank you everyone, all your comments have given me food for thought and I realise I probably need to be more strategic in my smoking habits so as not to offend anyone - politeness does go a long way, even in this day and age. I certainly don't regreat becoming a member of CruiseCritic and have already picked up some excellent tips for cruising - Wynlyn ;)

I believe that HAL allows smoking on balconies but not in cabins.

However smoking on balcony is major problem to neighbors since the smoke drifts.

I think the reason ecigs are in same category as cigarettes is because from appearance it is hard for crew and other passengers to see difference.

I would not have any problem with the e-cigs, but I can see where the visible use of them would open a flood of abuses by some with real cigs who figure the crew was not going to approach everyone they saw smoking in the distance to verify what he was smoking.

I believe there is also a real safety concern for the e-cigs when recharging them. I have seen reports of the filters, which is what contains the battery and gets recharged, literally exploding and causing fire danger. Anything with the potential of causing a fire is not going to be allowed by the cruise lines.