Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

This is now becoming as tedious as the endless tipping threads.

I consider P&O drinks prices to be reasonable. OK, there are pubs in certain parts of the country where you can get them cheaper, but you aren’t in a pub. A fairer comparison would be a hotel.

From what I have seen, most other cruise lines charge more for drinks, particularly when compulsory service charges (which P&O doesn’t charge) are added. But if drinks prices alone determine your choice of cruise line, and you feel that you can get them cheaper with another operator, then of course you are free to shop elsewhere - and should do so.

If people are so desperate to save a few quid by taking their own booze with them then, as others have worked out, a carefully wrapped litre bottle within each adults hold luggage will easily make it on board in addition to a litre each in adults carry on luggage. P&O would have no way of tallying the two. So a couple can easily take on 4 litres of varying drinks without any difficulty. Unless you are on a World Cruise, how much more do you need?

Even if you are a nervous type and stick religiously to the new restrictions, accepting that you will pay more on board than you have previously by purchasing on land, the difference is a minuscule proportion of the total cost of the holiday. I also don’t accept that it’s a certainty that this policy change is a pre-cursor to a hike in on board prices.

So, in summary, I can’t help but feel that this is all a ‘storm in a wine glass’.

Princess DO NOT allow any alcohol to be taken on board at the start of your cruise or when coming back on board at each stop.
Well, last year we took a bottle of wine each aboard the Island Princess, plus a further 4 bottles that we paid $15 corkage each for, so not sure why you are so vehement in your totally incorrect assertion. In other words - you are wrong.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

But you clearly were not interested in that and only wanted to have a moan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you want to generalize it's easy don't quote to a persons post... Thank you for the info on drink prices I have cruised with PO 3 times now, all lengthy cruises, so am familiar with their pricing however the info may be useful to others.....

Last thread hijacking post for me.......

As for your last comment which is "personal"....sad and uncalled for.... smile....the aggro isn't worth it...

If you want to generalize it's easy don't quote to a persons post... Thank you for the info on drink prices I have cruised with PO 3 times now, all lengthy cruises, so am familiar with their pricing however the info may be useful to others.....

Last thread hijacking post for me.......

As for your last comment which is "personal"....sad and uncalled for.... smile....the aggro isn't worth it...

Just responding to your reply which in itself was just as personal, which my original one was not.

Selbourne is completely correct, a cruise ship is a floating hotel and prices should be compared on that basis.

My local pub may well be cheaper but not the 50% cheaper as wowwzz appears to have quoted.

Our 3 P&O cruises have been 28, 13 and 50 nights and it was nice that we could bring some wine or rum, together with mixers, onboard from various ports to consume in our cabin.

The new policy is, probably, just a money making exercise for Carnival UK - they could have clamped down on 'taster booze cruises' without penalising those booking 14,28 day or longer cruises if they considered those short cruises were becoming a problem.

Yes, the new policy will add to our final bill, but we will still book with P&O.(four future cruises already booked).

My local charges £2.09 for a pint of Ruddles, and £9 for a bottle of Hardys, so can we at least agree that it cannot be claimed that P&O prices are the same as UK pub prices . Cheaper than other cruise lines, certainly, but more expensive than pub prices

I wonder if you can get wine delivered to your cabin. I know you can order spirits but I am more of a wine drinker. As an alternative why not allow me to bring as much as we like on the ship but charge a corkage even for consumption in my cabin.

Yes you can but the prices are the same as you pay in the dining room. House wine £15 or in that region.

Think that may be closer to £16.50

Which, to be fair, is decent price for a cruise ship. Still twice as expensive as my local mind!

Quite. The wine drinkers have missed out far more than spirit drinkers.

The more drinkable bottles are nearer £20.00

My local charges £2.09 for a pint of Ruddles, and £9 for a bottle of Hardys, so can we at least agree that it cannot be claimed that P&O prices are the same as UK pub prices . Cheaper than other cruise lines, certainly, but more expensive than pub prices

That's about as helpful as the occasional contributor who lives in Italy who burbles on about the cost of wine or vodka in his local Lidl as if that's a meaningful comparison. Even when Ruddles existed as a brewery their Best wasn't anything to write home about: it's been a commodity beer for years and is worthless as a comparator. Hardy's is overpriced unless it's on offer, as are many 'cheap' Aussie wines, so your pub price doesn't tell us anything either. What do they charge for premium lager such as Peroni, for example?

I'm happy to claim P&O's bar prices are well within the ball park of UK bar prices: not the cheapest possible pub prices but then they're not offering the cheapest pub experience, somewhere around the level of a salubrious hotel bar in the area where I live but with far better service.

We do not live an expensive area of the country but it has been along time since I saw prices that low in a pub locally. On the odd occasion that we go to a pub my OH expects to pay over £3 for a pint of beer and when I was out on Tuesday with friends we had a bottle of house wine that cost £17.50 with our food in a local pub.

Out of interest, where in the UK do you live? We are well over 100 miles from London, yet prices in pubs around here are double the prices that you pay.

[/url]

I agree with you, P&O don't charge pub prices. Their prices are a lot cheaper than pubs.

I pay around £5.50 for a beer in a pub, and in a hotel with similar standards to P&O...well the sky is the limit.

So the £4ish that P&O charge is a bargain.

I agree with you, P&O don't charge pub prices. Their prices are a lot cheaper than pubs.

I pay around £5.50 for a beer in a pub, and in a hotel with similar standards to P&O...well the sky is the limit.

So the £4ish that P&O charge is a bargain.

How is £4 cheaper than the £2.09 I pay? If a pub charged P&O prices round here it would go out of business in a month..

Quite. The wine drinkers have missed out far more than spirit drinkers.

The more drinkable bottles are nearer £20.00

P&O are the cheapest around regarding wine,not so much spirits.We paid £16 for a decent Italian rose on the Aurora.Princess charge $30 + 15% and they are reasonable compared to Cunard.

That's about as helpful as the occasional contributor who lives in Italy who burbles on about the cost of wine or vodka in his local Lidl as if that's a meaningful comparison. Even when Ruddles existed as a brewery their Best wasn't anything to write home about: it's been a commodity beer for years and is worthless as a comparator. Hardy's is overpriced unless it's on offer, as are many 'cheap' Aussie wines, so your pub price doesn't tell us anything either. What do they charge for premium lager such as Peroni, for example?

I'm happy to claim P&O's bar prices are well within the ball park of UK bar prices: not the cheapest possible pub prices but then they're not offering the cheapest pub experience, somewhere around the level of a salubrious hotel bar in the area where I live but with far better service.

Peroni a premium lager,LOL.Sorry for burbling.

Maybe but your local hotel has to pay UK excise duty on their drinks and has to take VAT into account, whereas cruise lines have neither cost. So they ought to be able to to offer lower prices, or at least serve more generous measures, as some of the US cruise lines do.

Agreed. If he thinks Peroni is a premium beer his comments on wine and other beers can hardly he taken seriously.

And why would you want to drink Peroni unless you had a serious pretension issue!!

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I have had Peroni, Stella, Carlsberg and Carling on draught on various P&O ships, the taste is identical and I suspect, a bit like petrol, it all came out of the same bulk storage somewhere.