Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

The new restrictions on the amounts of alcohol you can take on-board and the new room service charges (food) are not for our benefit. The next step will be to stop any alcohol from being taken on board and at the same time increase ship prices. At the moment the new restrictions do not affect me personally but I can now see a time when they will.

Does anyone think that P&O will amend this policy, I agree that 2-3 nighters are/have become booze cruises & need sorting, but this is like hitting a wart with a sledge hammer. I think most normal length cruises avoid the hen party groups.

Why not have a ban on all alcohol brought on board for the short length cruises but allow checked reasonable amount allowed on board for the normal length trips ???

As for tipping !!!! I can see some people tipping extra to cabin stewards to get them to smuggle extra booze on board.

Or of course get the mobility scooter brigade on smuggling runs !!!

Malc

Why not incorporate it into the loyalty scheme? Caribbean members can bring on 2 litres, Baltic 3 litres and Liguarian as much as they can carry!:D

The new restrictions on the amounts of alcohol you can take on-board and the new room service charges (food) are not for our benefit. The next step will be to stop any alcohol from being taken on board and at the same time increase ship prices. At the moment the new restrictions do not affect me personally but I can now see a time when they will.

I agree. It would be worth taking a snap shot of current prices onboard now and see if rises are in line with inflation etc or much higher.

Personally I'm getting fed up with all the changes and you are spot on, none of them are for our benefit. We cruise with other lines as well as p&O so will look at the overall package cost when comparing to make new bookings.

Why not incorporate it into the loyalty scheme? Caribbean members can bring on 2 litres, Baltic 3 litres and Liguarian as much as they can carry!:D

No no no.

Baltic get 2 free ltrs in their cabin.

Ligurian get 4.

Caribbean get two miniatures.

Oh and suite passengers get 2 bottles as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just back from Azura and saw that same thing - 4 people on the table next to us in the Planet bar openly pouring Gin into purchased tonic and saw it agin again on the sailaway with a bottle of prosecco, they even asked for 4 glasses from the bar !!

If P&O are not policing this then people will continue to do it.

They will only be able to do it with the 1 bottle they take on at embarkation. No other bottles from any ports enroute. If they continue to play the stupid game of let's drink from the 1 bottle on deck I assume pando will stop you bringing any on. Have no problems whatsoever with pando doing this. Do totally agree it's the minority who have spoilt it. Hopefully they will take umbrage with pando spoiling their fun and go off to the perfect American lines.

I think this policy was implemented in a very underhand way. P&O have just released their 2019 cruise programme. Why didn't they bring the policy in to all new bookings from that date. To allow customers to search the market for a cruise, take into account the policies of the cruise lines and book, then change those policies after booking is atrocious. It shows a complete disregard for the customer and destroys customer confidence. What could be next? No excursions for wheelchair users after wheelchair users have booked? No smoking on board at all, cigarettes and smoking materials will be confiscated at the gangway and returned at the end of the cruise? BTW how can 1 litre of spirits be fair, when you are on a world cruise?

You can purchase bottles via room service..just not at duty free prices. So those on longer cruises can still drink..just cost a little more to.

You can purchase bottles via room service..just not at duty free prices. So those on longer cruises can still drink..just cost a little more to.

If you are drinking spirits it is just as cheap to buy from room service as at a local supermarket4c1a664ca7e902472393cad933aac93d.jpg

It is interesting that the undress of comments on FB are now all of the its a good thing category. There is even a thread which asks how many bottles of spirits do you normally bring on board.

95% are saying none or one.

No no no.

Baltic get 2 free ltrs in their cabin.

Ligurian get 4.

Caribbean get two miniatures.

Oh and suite passengers get 2 bottles as well.

And what about us swimming along behind in the Atlantic ??:(

But the big question is what will the price be when P&O has restricted people bringing alcohol onboard.

I somehow doubt it will remain the same.

Good of you to look on the bright side.

I thought that I was fairly observant, but during all of our 13 cruises with P&O I have never noticed anyone pouring themselves drinks from their own bottles in any of the bars.

Historically, we never considered taking drinks on board, just as we wouldn’t think of taking drinks to a land based hotel. However, during our last 2 cruises we took some cans of ready made Pims & Lemonade and Gin & Tonic, but ended up taking half of them home again so we won’t bother in future! Given the consternation that this new restriction is causing, we are clearly lightweights when it comes to alcohol consumption!

They will only be able to do it with the 1 bottle they take on at embarkation. No other bottles from any ports enroute. If they continue to play the stupid game of let's drink from the 1 bottle on deck I assume pando will stop you bringing any on. Have no problems whatsoever with pando doing this. Do totally agree it's the minority who have spoilt it. Hopefully they will take umbrage with pando spoiling their fun and go off to the perfect American lines.

I don't think they will easily stop people bringing on more than 1 bottle - things like this are easy to buy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Binocktails-Rum-Runner-Flasks-Cruise/dp/B00FJU0PSI

I don't think they will easily stop people bringing on more than 1 bottle - things like this are easy to buy.

If people are so desperate that they would genuinely go to that trouble, then perhaps they should be taking their holidays at The Priory rather than on a P&O Cruise :')

What!!!! I love a chilled glass of that and P and O's sauvignon blanc was delicious. One very good reason NOT to go on an American ship.

Prosecco $14 about£11,

Pinot Gricio $12 about £10.

This was on Freedom of the seas out of Barcelona in June 2017.

I'd rather spend the money this kit costs on buying a few bottles of spirits from room service. Imagine one leaking as your queueing to get on board! They'd think you'd come straight from a care home! :eek:

Maybe the few have spoilt it for the many. Such a shame as P&O were a little different. We've only done 3 P&O cruises so far but have 4 booked going forward, the first two prior to 1 Feb 2018 so will still bring a limited amount of alcohol onboard. P&O are still the best for us, as you can tell from my user id, I don't do aeroplanes which restricts us especially in the winter.

Maybe the few have spoilt it for the many. Such a shame as P&O were a little different. We've only done 3 P&O cruises so far but have 4 booked going forward, the first two prior to 1 Feb 2018 so will still bring a limited amount of alcohol onboard. P&O are still the best for us, as you can tell from my user id, I don't do aeroplanes which restricts us especially in the winter.

And welcome to Cruise Critic, enjoy and happy cruising to you.;)