Need Advice for Oasis of the Seas 7 Night Western Mediterranean Cruise

Need Advice for Oasis of the Seas 7 Night Western Mediterranean Cruise July of 2019.

We never been to Europe, This will be out first trip , We are planning to book Oasis for July 2019, Keep in mind, we are from Toronto, Canada.

Which city is easier to fly and cheaper from Toronto? Is there more to see in one City vs Other? Is getting to port from airport much easier than the other? Which City requires more time ? Price wise ( Shuttle and lodging ) which city is more economical?

which one would you pick?

We have these two options

Option #1 Leaving from

Barcelona,Spain |Palma de Mallorca,Spain |Provence (Marseilles),France |Florence/Pisa (La Spezia),Italy |Rome (Civitavecchia),Italy |Naples (Capri),Italy |Cruising|Barcelona,Spain

Option #2 Leaving from

CiVITAECCHIA),Italy |Naples (Capri),Italy |Cruising|Barcelona,Spain |Palma de Mallorca,Spain |Provence (Marseilles),France |Florence/Pisa (La Spezia),Italy |Rome (Civitavecchia),Italy

Need Advice for Oasis of the Seas 7 Night Western Mediterranean Cruise July of 2019.

We never been to Europe, This will be out first trip , We are planning to book Oasis for July 2019, Keep in mind, we are from Toronto, Canada.

Which city is easier to fly and cheaper from Toronto? Is there more to see in one City vs Other? Is getting to port from airport much easier than the other? Which City requires more time ? Price wise ( Shuttle and lodging ) which city is more economical?

Option #1 Leaving from

Barcelona,Spain |Palma de Mallorca,Spain |Provence (Marseilles),France |Florence/Pisa (La Spezia),Italy |Rome (Civitavecchia),Italy |Naples (Capri),Italy |Cruising|Barcelona,Spain

Option #2 Leaving from

CiVITAECCHIA),Italy |Naples (Capri),Italy |Cruising|Barcelona,Spain |Palma de Mallorca,Spain |Provence (Marseilles),France |Florence/Pisa (La Spezia),Italy |Rome (Civitavecchia),Italy

Barcelona best choice in every way.

Fantastic city, airport 20 minutes from Las Ramblas city centre and the cruise terminal.

How many days before the cruise are you planning to arrive and/or how many days stay post cruise?

Makes a difference... if you really want to see Rome, it’s a pain and too far really to be a relaxing trip in a day from the port to get to see everything.

Barcelona on the other hand is simple and close by the port, so you would get much more out of just 1 day there.

If you’re planning to arrive a day or more prior or stay on after I’d say go with Italy, fly to Rome, enjoy everything it offers and then make your way to the port at your leisure.

If you’re straight in and out, then Barcelona will be much easier for the travelling.

Both places are wonderful but Barcelona is much, much simpler. In Rome you have to get transport to Civi and it is expensive. Barcelona is beautiful and has a great Hop on Hop off bus system. You can book a hotel very close to Las Rambla and the port.

Both places are wonderful but Barcelona is much, much simpler. In Rome you have to get transport to Civi and it is expensive. Barcelona is beautiful and has a great Hop on Hop off bus system. You can book a hotel very close to Las Rambla and the port.

There are hundreds of taxis in Barcelona whereas Civitevechia has almost none.

We are booked on the same ship, probably same itinerary, but a month earlier. We chose Italy because we really want to visit Rome. We plan on arriving at least 3 or 4 days earlier to experience it. It is more important to us than Barcelona which is one of our port stops on the cruise.

If saving money, easier transport is best for you then go for Barcelona. If it's about which embarkation/disembarkation port means the most to you in terms of sightseeing, pick that one. That's what we did.

We are booked on the same ship, probably same itinerary, but a month earlier. We chose Italy because we really want to visit Rome. We plan on arriving at least 3 or 4 days earlier to experience it. It is more important to us than Barcelona which is one of our port stops on the cruise.

If saving money, easier transport is best for you then go for Barcelona. If it's about which embarkation/disembarkation port means the most to you in terms of sightseeing, pick that one. That's what we did.

We booked the Rome Itinerary (July 25th 2019) because it is Rome and will be coming in 3 days early to see the amazing city. I am very curious to read the follow up on this post however....

Both are great cities. Barcelona would be my recommendation to someone who wants to keep it simple and easy.

I would recommend a few days pre or post cruise stay as there is plenty to see and do in Barcelona. Also, you may find that flights are cheaper if you avoid peak days that coincide with cruise departures. Travelodge in Poble Nou is recommended for a cheap but comfortable stay.

We booked the Rome Itinerary (July 25th 2019) because it is Rome and will be coming in 3 days early to see the amazing city. I am very curious to read the follow up on this post however....

great info!!!

we are thinking of 07 07 2019 from Barcelona.

Slyster, agree, my sentiments exactly.

I have done departures from both, there is no way you can experience Rome just with a port stop, but Barcelona you can for sure.

If I had never been to either I’d chose the extra days in Rome hands down

We've been lucky enough to cruise from both Barcelona and Citivecchia many times and have stayed a number of days in both cities.

There is absolutely no way trust me that you can do Barcelona with just a port stop.

Both cities are great and worth a minimum of two or three days in each probably longer.

But for ease of transportation excellent hotels within five minutes of a much nicer port Barcelona wins hands down.

We've been lucky enough to cruise from both Barcelona and Citivecchia many times and have stayed a number of days in both cities.

There is absolutely no way trust me that you can do Barcelona with just a port stop.

Both cities are great and worth a minimum of two or three days in each probably longer.

But for ease of transportation excellent hotels within five minutes of a much nicer port Barcelona wins hands down.

I totally agree.

Rome to Civitevechia is a hassle even on a transfer.

Barcelona every time for me.

• 4 months later...
The Barcelona itinery has less stops in Italy vs the Rome Itinerary. I am struggling as I have it in my mind to see Italy. Any input between the two routes. I am appreciating that it is a distance to do Rome in a day. Thanks
The stops are exactly the same,the ship does the same 7 night itinerary and some passengers get on in Barcelona and some in Rome during the weeks cruise.

If you sail from Barcelona you do tours to

Rome, Florence and Naples.

IMG_20180821_070631.thumb.jpg.948b6d19984c84271992828945e51f3c.jpg

Option #1 Leaving from

Option #2 Leaving from

Be sure to check out Royals air2sea program, great prices for international travel. Check round trip and two one way trip prices. We are booked for this Oct. and oneway flights were as low as $225.00 pp. We have business class on Norwegian air for $650.00 pp LAX to BCN. Easiest transport is a taxi for under 30 us. Check out Hotel Continental on Las Rambles, Great price for a hotel in the center of everything

My advice as before (although it seems from this thread a lot disagree with) is:

Rome is an hour + from the port (can be much longer in traffic). Barcelona is right there.

Rome itself is much more spread out for all the key tourist sites vs Barcelona.

My opinion every time would be fly to Rome, enjoy it for a couple days, take your time, make your way to port morning of cruise.

Barcelona you dock right there you can get a really good taste of it in a day as you don’t cut your hours with travel time

The cruises we are planning are both from Rome. I am in the process of figuring out if Jewels itinery gives me enough taste of Spain and Italy. I do like Oasis ports but the cost is much more on Oasis and really not sure if we would like the very large ship! Hoping most of out ports on Jewel are good for DIY ports

The cruises we are planning are both from Rome. I am in the process of figuring out if Jewels itinery gives me enough taste of Spain and Italy. I do like Oasis ports but the cost is much more on Oasis and really not sure if we would like the very large ship! Hoping most of out ports on Jewel are good for DIY ports
These are the Jewels sailings next summer,the 9 night seems the best for Italy.IMG_20180826_183903.thumb.jpg.36b568d8c22dca8cdad159e3947c15e0.jpg

IMG_20180826_183938.thumb.jpg.b67eeb8b25a220930727ac3a9a6b4e31.jpg

IMG_20180826_183933.thumb.jpg.9ec05ea0d1a7bef37d637f14e63375b7.jpg