Nieuw Amsterdam LIVE Review- September 1-8, 2018

HBCcruiser

TWO days to go before we leave for our HAL Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska cruise - Inside passage September 1 - 8! My DH and I are traveling with a group of 6 fun friends with ages ranging from 50 - 70. Yes, they all like to party so this will be interesting. Of course, so do we!

We all live in SoCal so our usual weather is, “sunny.” It can sometimes be, “sunny with some clouds.” I have been checking the Alaska weather DAILY, and it changes every day! Let’s just hope we have some sun and not all rain. We shall see.

Four of us fly up to Vancouver on Friday, a day before we board. We are staying at the Marriott due to my DH having “status” there - he travels A LOT! Yes, we are still poor pions working every day for our vacations. Retirement is still just a dream! (Yes, pity us).

I plan on doing a LIVE review (I usually do that - can’t help myself). I’ve not cruised with Holland in quite a while, so I’m not sure how the internet will be. Crossing fingers!

Packing is now to commence! Trying to stay under the 50 lbs. luggage limit AA places upon us - THAT should be an interesting challenge!

49084f53a495958caa4a6d5147f2d9ee.jpg

If the Marriott you're staying at is the Marriott Pinnacle Downtown on W Hastings, you can easily walk to Canada Place with your luggage (assuming you haven't brought the kitchen sink). Have stayed there for the same reason (both myself and DW have status and points with Marriott) multiple times. Nice lounge too.

NA should be fun, we've enjoyed her a couple of times in the Caribbean. Enjoy your cruise and looking forward to reading your reports. :)

If the Marriott you're staying at is the Marriott Pinnacle Downtown on W Hastings, you can easily walk to Canada Place with your luggage (assuming you haven't brought the kitchen sink). Have stayed there for the same reason (both myself and DW have status and points with Marriott) multiple times. Nice lounge too.

NA should be fun, we've enjoyed her a couple of times in the Caribbean. Enjoy your cruise and looking forward to reading your reports. :)

Yes, that is where we are staying. Is it easier to walk or are cabs easy too? I know they stopped Uber which is s bummer!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is the first time many of us have been to Alaska. We had originally booked the dog sledding excursion that was cancelled. Such a bummer - we were all excited to do that. Instead there was an alternative one offered. Hope it’s fun! Our itinerary is posted below. If you have been on any of these excursions please share your experiences! ONE more work day to get through! 1e2f05f05351634c22a553e8f73f05e2.jpgd261d9c7d97637f359b4b5ed18fe4025.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My DD did the musher's camp and sled experience and loved being with the dogs. Most of them are Heinz-57 types who are obedient and good pullers.

We honestly find that the couple of blocks of walking to Canada Place was quite easy. We most recently walked it in April 2018. It's generally smooth pavement walkways, slightly downhill from the hotel. You'll go to the opposite side of Canada Place (from where you'll be coming) where the vehicle traffic enters the basement area and walk down a sidewalk that isn't too obvious until you get to it. You might try it tomorrow after you arrive just to see how close it is and get your bearings. They were open by 10:30 am and accepting passengers through luggage drop off, security, passport control and check-in. We arrived about 11 am and went straight through all the way to the ship. We've found going inside the Pan Pacific entrance has just gotten us bewildered and no one inside seems particularly helpful.

There certainly are taxis available from the hotel though should you choose that option. There were a couple standing and waiting on the street as we walked past them.

Have fun in Alaska! :cool:

My DD did the musher's camp and sled experience and loved being with the dogs. Most of them are Heinz-57 types who are obedient and good pullers.

We honestly find that the couple of blocks of walking to Canada Place was quite easy. We most recently walked it in April 2018. It's generally smooth pavement walkways, slightly downhill from the hotel. You'll go to the opposite side of Canada Place (from where you'll be coming) where the vehicle traffic enters the basement area and walk down a sidewalk that isn't too obvious until you get to it. You might try it tomorrow after you arrive just to see how close it is and get your bearings. They were open by 10:30 am and accepting passengers through luggage drop off, security, passport control and check-in. We arrived about 11 am and went straight through all the way to the ship. We've found going inside the Pan Pacific entrance has just gotten us bewildered and no one inside seems particularly helpful.

There certainly are taxis available from the hotel though should you choose that option. There were a couple standing and waiting on the street as we walked past them.

Have fun in Alaska! :cool:

Thank you for the valuable, detailed information. Much appreciated![emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you don't mind a slight incline, take the sidewalk. It is to the right when you face Canada Place. It runs right next to where cars go down to the lower level. My husband pushed our big suitcase back up when we came back. I pulled my small one.

I am not on your ship, but we did the Pinnacle Grill both for dinner and lunch. Ate one night at the Canaletto. Enjoyed both places.