Miami pre cruise stay

holidaydude

That time of year is middle of season down here, so prices might be a bit more expensive. As you have never been to Miami. Its a big city You might look into maybe staying on Miami Beach or South Beach for a few days before the cruise. About 30 minutes from the port . Or Downtown Miami, probably a bit cheaper ,

I like staying downtown.

Best means different things to different people though.

If a beach is important at your hotel look at Miami Beach/South Beach.

For me that is not best because I prefer a quieter area and I am not a beach person.

This is a list of hotels I have compiled for the downtown area representing a range of price points. It is not inclusive and there are many other options.

We spend about one week in Miami each year before a cruise.

Not knowing your price point that you want to spend on a room I will give you several selections; some of which have been mentioned.

They are all within about one mile of each other.

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

Marriott Maquis (about four years old)

Epic Hotel (priciest of the ones I am mentioning)

Holiday Inn (some like it but I would recommend the other two)

Hyatt (I like the location better of the first three even though it is close by)

These hotels are about five minutes from the port. Near restaurants and CVS Pharmacy which is good to pick up last minute items and near a Whole Foods.

Just a couple of minutes further from the port

Mandarin Oriental (priciest of the ones mentioned). Private man made beach.

About 10 minutes from the port or maybe 15 depending on traffic but relatively close so no worries.

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

East Miami (relative new hotel so doesn't get mentioned much and is near the new Brickell Centre. More on Brickell in a moment.)

And then just another few minutes away

Four Seasons (like Mandarin a bit pricier then most I've listed) but in a very quiet location.

Hampton Inn (a lot of value here. It is not a full service hotel but it is a nice Hampton and includes breakfast)

The last group of hotels I have mentioned starting with Mandarin Oriental and ending with Hampton Inn are near lots of restaurants.

There is Mary Brickell Village and right near there are lots of restaurants (for Italian I like Perricone's) and also near two CVS Pharmacies (JW Marriott right next to a 24 hour one) and near Publix (there are two in the area) where you can pick up lots of last minute items.

Then there is the new Brickell Centre which opened last in 2016. Lots of stores and restaurants.

I have stayed at some of these hotels and have been inside each and everyone.

Again, they represent a wide range of price points.

Keith

• Like 2

I like staying downtown.

For me that is not best because I prefer a quieter area and I am not a beach person.

This is a list of hotels I have compiled for the downtown area representing a range of price points.

Keith

Thanks for the great information!!

I would add the Doubletree and next door Marriott Biscayne to Keith's excellent list -- both offer some rooms with a view of the port and the pool at the Doubletree is excellent! :D

Our stay at the Marriott Biscayne Bay last May was excellent. Ended up with Bayside view AND concierge room access.

What a view it was up there.

Hi, I am a concierge in Fort Lauderdale who is getting my master's degree in hospitality management. I joined this forus for a class project and plan on helping out as many people as possible with my expertise. I have worked locally for over 20 years so feel free to ask me anything from restaurant advice to tours to transportation!

I kinda think if you are coming to Miami you need to stay on Miami Beach! I love the new Eurostars Vintro...it's affordable and just off the crazy, loud part of Miami Beach but still close enough to get to Ocean Drive!

• Like 1

Downtown and Brickell are great and you can't go wrong.

But with a 3-night stay I would try to stay in Miami Beach first.

On Washington Ave or east and from 25th street and south.

January is an expensive time for hotel rates, you will likely find better deals in Downtown/Brickell though. Any of the three areas are good.

Does anyone know anything about the Habitat Residence in Miami? We would really like to have a place with two bedrooms without the expense of getting two rooms. We are flying into FLL and cruising out of Miami. We won't get there until 10 pm so we really just need a clean place to sleep.

Why not stay in FLL then head to the port in the morning

Does anyone know anything about the Habitat Residence in Miami? We would really like to have a place with two bedrooms without the expense of getting two rooms. We are flying into FLL and cruising out of Miami. We won't get there until 10 pm so we really just need a clean place to sleep.

Some of the extended stay, all-suite properties near FLL offer two bedroom suites. Check www.sunny.org for FLL area hotel info. As suggested above, stay close to FLL and then Uber or shuttle to POM the next morning.

There are quite a few new hotels that are not on Keith1010's list that should be added.

The brand new Hyatt Centric Brickell is a great hotel with a great location.

SLS Hotel in Brickell is another high end hotel and is great.

W Hotel Brickell used to be the Viceroy and is another local hotel.

Keith, you might want to update your list since Marriott Marquis is about 12 years old now because it opened in 2006.

The East Hotel is actually in Brickell Citi Centre.

So far, the Epic is our favorite., but as Keith has stated, can be a bit costly. I was actually lucky to "catch" a price drop of $121 and grabbed it. Loved this hotel. The Double-tree we liked because of the floor with all of the stores, restaurants and bars. So convenient! In a couple of months, we are booked for Atton Brickle. (new hotel) with insanely great reviews on TripAdvisor. I will report back with a review after we return. Looks amazing.

Hi, I am a concierge in Fort Lauderdale who is getting my master's degree in hospitality management. I joined this forus for a class project and plan on helping out as many people as possible with my expertise. I have worked locally for over 20 years so feel free to ask me anything from restaurant advice to tours to transportation!

I kinda think if you are coming to Miami you need to stay on Miami Beach! I love the new Eurostars Vintro...it's affordable and just off the crazy, loud part of Miami Beach but still close enough to get to Ocean Drive!

Hey Concierge. Can I ask you a SB hotel question? Booked National Hotel for 4 nights pre cruise. 2 adults 55yrs and 1 14yr old. No car. Working out at $400+ over Christmas. Is this a good choice ? Like a nice pool. Bit nervous as so much choice. Any others you’d recommend in same area? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

@killarneylady The National Hotel is lovely! It's in a really perfect location for SOBE. Very close to Lincoln Road. You don't need a car at all. You can explore all up and down Ocean Drive and SOBE by walking or taking the free trolley, which runs all the way up to North Miami Beach if you want to venture up there for a particular restaurant or something. That price is high but the only other hotel I would have recommended (for your 14 year old) would have the The Edition (it has an ice-skating rink and a bowling alley for free in the hotel! ) but when I looked at rates they were double what you are paying. I think you have made a great choice!

@killarneylady The National Hotel is lovely! It's in a really perfect location for SOBE. Very close to Lincoln Road. You don't need a car at all. You can explore all up and down Ocean Drive and SOBE by walking or taking the free trolley, which runs all the way up to North Miami Beach if you want to venture up there for a particular restaurant or something. That price is high but the only other hotel I would have recommended (for your 14 year old) would have the The Edition (it has an ice-skating rink and a bowling alley for free in the hotel! ) but when I looked at rates they were double what you are paying. I think you have made a great choice!

Thank you so much. I’m happy to hear that I’ve made a good choice. Christmas is such an important time for us and I really wanted a good standard of hotel. Although judging by general SoBe prices we won’t be having too many cocktails in the hotel bar! Still, we can enjoy the surroundings. It’s so great to have people with knowledge of the area who can reassure those of us who are new to Miami . Appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like staying downtown.

Four Seasons (like Mandarin a bit pricier then most I've listed) but in a very quiet location.

Hampton Inn (a lot of value here. It is not a full service hotel but it is a nice Hampton and includes breakfast)

The last group of hotels I have mentioned starting with Mandarin Oriental and ending with Hampton Inn are near lots of restaurants.

I was wondering which Hampton Inn. A lot of Hamptons in and around Miami.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:23 AM, LB_NJ said:

I was wondering which Hampton Inn. A lot of Hamptons in and around Miami.

I think the reference was to the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell - very popular with cruisers (downtown, free breakfast, reasonable rates, and many nearby dining and nightlife options).

• 11 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:31 AM, Keith1010 said:

I like staying downtown.

This is a list of hotels I have compiled for the downtown area representing a range of price points. It is not inclusive and there are many other options.

We spend about one week in Miami each year before a cruise.

Not knowing your price point that you want to spend on a room I will give you several selections; some of which have been mentioned.

They are all within about one mile of each other.

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

Marriott Maquis (about four years old)

Epic Hotel (priciest of the ones I am mentioning)

Holiday Inn (some like it but I would recommend the other two)

Hyatt (I like the location better of the first three even though it is close by)

These hotels are about five minutes from the port. Near restaurants and CVS Pharmacy which is good to pick up last minute items and near a Whole Foods.

Just a couple of minutes further from the port

Mandarin Oriental (priciest of the ones mentioned). Private man made beach.

About 10 minutes from the port or maybe 15 depending on traffic but relatively close so no worries.

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

East Miami (relative new hotel so doesn't get mentioned much and is near the new Brickell Centre. More on Brickell in a moment.)

There is Mary Brickell Village and right near there are lots of restaurants (for Italian I like Perricone's) and also near two CVS Pharmacies (JW Marriott right next to a 24 hour one) and near Publix (there are two in the area) where you can pick up lots of last minute items.

Then there is the new Brickell Centre which opened last in 2016. Lots of stores and restaurants.

I have stayed at some of these hotels and have been inside each and everyone.

Again, they represent a wide range of price points.

Keith

Keith, Do you know of a place in downtown Miami that is within a few blocks of the Intercontinenetal for Breakfast, I read somewhere on here that said there is a quick breakfast place for sandwiches and quick breakfast??

Thanks

Brent

Brent, we typically have breakfast at the hotels we stay at as they are normally included in our hotel package so I can't help you with this.  I am sure that someone else can give you advice.  I was thinking while it is not a restaurant relatively close to you is Whole Foods where they have the Whole Foods Market.  It is about eight tenths of a mile from the hotel.

Keith

On 9/30/2018 at 3:42 PM, FLLconcierge said:

Can you tell me a breakfast place that is like 2 to 3 blocks from the Intercontental? I heard its a small place with breakfast sandwiches and quick meals.

Thanks