How easy is it to get around San Juan?

mylifecompleted

We were looking at a shore excursion but nothing seems to strike our fancy and the one that was somewhat interesting for us, seems like we could do it on our own. I heard there was a HOHO trolly that was free. is this true? I would like to walk around and maybe go to the fort?

We were looking at a shore excursion but nothing seems to strike our fancy and the one that was somewhat interesting for us, seems like we could do it on our own. I heard there was a HOHO trolly that was free. is this true? I would like to walk around and maybe go to the fort?

We did exactly the same thing...used the free (white) trolley hopped off at the forts and walked about in old town...San Juan is so easy to DIY. a tour isn't necessary at all.

Mofongo is a popular dish throughout Puerto Rico... It's made from mashed fried plantains, and garlic, and often covered with chicken, shrimp, or other meat and sauce...

oooo

hubby may try it. I have a texture thing with food so i have a limited diet. it sounds delightful though!

We did exactly the same thing...used the free (white) trolley hopped off at the forts and walked about in old town...San Juan is so easy to DIY. a tour isn't necessary at all.

Does the trolley come by the Port or is there an other place you get on? Does it go to both forts?

Does the trolley come by the Port or is there an other place you get on? Does it go to both forts?

Yes...just ask anyone to point you in the right direction...they'll be a sign...just wait in front of it for the trolley. It will make a stop at both forts...very easy.

The Trolley is a great way to get to the Forts, and you can walk back toward the ship through the city streets for shopping and food. At some times of day, or with several ships in port, the streets can get congested and traffic can move very slowly. At those times it's faster to walk.

If possible, try to see the sights on foot. San Juan is a beautiful city with lovely architecture - one of my favourite destinations in the Caribbean. Unless you have difficulty walking, you won't need the trolley or hop-on hop-off bus.

http://sanjuan.puerto-rico.ca/

Awesome. Probably will still take it. we will have a 3 year old with us. :)

Very easy to get around San Juan on your own. The shops are within walking distance to the Port. The trolley comes near the Port and we took it to both forts.

That is what we want to do, go to both forts. I just had surgery on my leg and I can't walk a long distance. So the trolley will be great.

I hope that the people there are safe. The hurricane is hitting them hard.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been in PR several times. First, let me tell you that what most people are talking about is Old San Juan which is right off the port. We have never taken the trolley but have walked it and seem many things that we would not have normally. There is also some excellent shopping in that area. We have done land tours as well while spending a few day in San Juan. The rain forest is a wonderful place to visit. Once we rented a car and just drove around and saw some great sites.

This time we will take the ferry over to the Bacardi factory on our own. Very inexpensive and not a problems area. We have never been there but had a friend we travel with a few years ago do it on her own while we shopped.

You can search the internet for several self guided walking tours. It's very easy to walk around the old town. If you have a difficult time in walking up hill, you should take the trolley or taxi to El Morro then walk back down towards the harbor.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/

Let us hope for a recovery for all of PR including San Juan post Maria. They have had significant damage to their power grid and will need tourists when they are able to support visitors. Reports post storm is that power is out for 100% of the island and it will be months before full power is restored.

We are 10 days post Irma and manty are still without power in South Florida.

My thoughts and prayers go to all islands so severely affected by these monster hurricanes.

GET WELL PUERTO RICO!

Let us hope for a recovery for all of PR including San Juan post Maria. They have had significant damage to their power grid and will need tourists when they are able to support visitors. Reports post storm is that power is out for 100% of the island and it will be months before full power is restored.

We are 10 days post Irma and manty are still without power in South Florida.

My thoughts and prayers go to all islands so severely affected by these monster hurricanes.

GET WELL PUERTO RICO!

Checking with Florida Power and Light over 99% of power is back on. Texas is almost 100% I think 99.7%. With other companies coming in to help I expect most of major area to be restored by the week end. They are a US territory and we will send groups over that have power specialty to help. Just depends on how soon roads are cleared and fixed.