Azura v Britannia- Caribbean Cruise

Eveglos

Hi all

We are thinking of doing a Caribbean cruise next January. We have never cruised before and we're just wondering what the pros and cons of each ship were. We would definitely want a balcony cabin and I think I read here that balconies on Azura were wider than the Britannia, which would be a big consideration for us.

I would really welcome any feedback and advice.

Regards

Eve

Hi...I can only comment on balconies on Azura...I have never been on Britannia. If you chose a standard balcony on Azura make sure it is on Deck C....the balconies on that deck are double the size of standard balconies on other decks on Azura....they are really big...half in sun and half in shade. If you do decide to go on Azura and choose one on C deck make sure you make it clear...No Upgrade. Upgrades are not always a true upgrade ...you could easily end up with a smaller balcony and in a worse position. P&O seem to class an upgrade as being on a higher deck which isn't always preferable.

From what I hear standard balconies on Britannia are very small....possibly not big enough for 2 people to lounge on....whereas Azura C deck you would have plenty of room for both of you to lounge on.

I would think those that have cruised on Britannia can give you more information about the balconies.

Hi all

We are thinking of doing a Caribbean cruise next January. We have never cruised before and we're just wondering what the pros and cons of each ship were. We would definitely want a balcony cabin and I think I read here that balconies on Azura were wider than the Britannia, which would be a big consideration for us.

I would really welcome any feedback and advice.

Regards

Eve

We have done Caribbean cruises on both ships and enjoyed both. Re the balconies you are right that on Britannia they are not as deep but we found ok for 2 of us. If you choose Azura try to get a balcony cabin on C deck as they are much larger some of which is covered and some uncovered which is good in the Caribbean.

The buffet on Britannia is much larger with more seating and laid out better than Azura which is very cramped.

If you like ballroom dancing there is the Crystal Room on Britannia ..Azura doesnt have one but I think they use the atrium , dont dance myself so not sure.

The Crows Nest bar on Britannia is our favourite bar of both ships . Azura doesnt have a bar at the front of the ship.

The restaurants are much the same on both.

Most of the sunbeds on Britannia are crammed in like sardines.

There isnt a passenger staircase above deck 7 midship on Britannia so the lifts can get busy , perhaps think about where you choose a cabin.

We found that the show lounge at the back of the ship on Britannia(cant remember name) isnt really large enough and gets very busy so not able to get a seat unless you get there very early.

In all I would be happy with either . We are on Britannia again in May.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Azura having cruised on both in the Caribbean no doubt Azura is best for first time experience, if you enjoy that try Britannia personally we are not Britannia fans due to the small balcony's, the lack of availability of sunbeds on sea days and it is a bit impersonal for a first time cruise in MHO

Thank you- since balcony space is important to us, I think we will opt to go on Azura

Cheers

Eve

As I stated in my earlier post if you choose a standard balcony get one on C deck....they are twice as big as the other standard balconies on other decks...half in sun and half in shade....so plenty of room for sitting....eating....lounging and even dancing! and remember to state No Upgrade.

Can you please clarify for myself and others.

Are you saying that the half in shade is not overlooked but the the half in sun is?

As said that's fine if your not bothered about that but we chose not to be overlooked.

We could look down and see people that had obviously forgot that they could be seen from above.:o

Yes, half cannot be seen from above on C deck but you can see B deck as can everyone above you.

No the balconies on B deck cannot be overlooked from above as they don't extend out as the lower deck balconies do.:)

We have just returned from the Caribbean on Britannia,we were lucky to have one of the aft corner suites which have huge balconies,unlike the normal balconies which are very small,it was wonderful to have our sunbeds away from the crowd where,especially in the Lido Pool area they are crammed in,not so bad at Serenity but the first time we went up there on a sea day things were being blown everywhere,whereas our balcony was sheltered by the ships superstructure & pretty much wind free.

As has been mentioned Britannia is notorious for her stairs problem midships but on top of that the aft lifts are pretty well useless for anything below deck 7,if you want to reach them on deck 16 you have to go through the Horizon Buffet & on deck 17 through the gym.

The Crows Nest is a superb bar,Brodies is also a lovely room,especially if you can catch it when there isn't a quiz,bingo or Kareoke(probably spelt that wrong,you can tell I'm not a fan!) IMO.

Both main entertainment venues on board,The Headliners Theatre & The Live Lounge are too small for a ship her size IMO,not only that but the show we saw in the latter was largely spoilt by a bad vibration that seems to affect the starboard side by the edge of the dance floor rather badly,other parts of the lounge don't seem so bad.

Edited by snaefell

Are you saying that the half in shade is not overlooked but the the half in sun is?

As said that's fine if your not bothered about that but we chose not to be overlooked.

We could look down and see people that had obviously forgot that they could be seen from above.:o

The part of the balcony nearest the door is directly underneath the balcony of the deck above (b deck) and will be shaded some of the time depending on the position of the sun but this also applies to the balconies that are not overlooked.The rest of the balcony is uncovered as the structure of the ship is tiered from C deck.

I feel the larger balcony makes the inside of the cabin seem bigger during the day. I dont mind people looking at me but I have never noticed anyone doing so.

The balconies on D deck (superior deluxe balcony) protrude further and are also mostly uncovered/overlooked and are a bit smaller.

The C deck balconies on Azura and Ventura are roughly twice as deep as those on decks A to B. They encompass an area which is directly below the balcony of B deck above plus an additional area which sticks out and covers the sitting area of the superior deluxe cabins on D deck below. The former area is not overlooked, the latter is.

Thanks all for your really useful and inciteful comments. Having looked at the photo of Azura,I can't believe how big she is! Wow! There's me as a lift phobic,thinking I could easily walk up and down stairs! No chance!

Eve

Traveling in January I would go for a Superior Deluxe Balcony on Azura but booking around September on a saver it should be around £400 per person cheaper than the advertised Early Saver price at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi....the Superior Deluxe Balcony cabins on D deck are completely overlooked and balconies are important for the OP so they may not be comfortable with that. At least on C deck they have the option of being in the shade and private.....which may be welcome in the Caribbean....or sitting in the sun and having a larger balcony than on D deck with no shade or privacy.

Thanks- I think we would opt for C Deck to the balcony size.Would we be advised to book now or wait until later in the year?

We've narrowed it down to Azura but Celebrity cruises from Florida caught my eye so just trying to decide between the two now!

Your advice has been really helpful- thanks again all.

Eve

Thanks- I think we would opt for C Deck to the balcony size.Would we be advised to book now or wait until later in the year?

We've narrowed it down to Azura but Celebrity cruises from Florida caught my eye so just trying to decide between the two now!

Eve

If the Celebrity cruise is on a Solstice class ship and the prices are comparable including the airfare, then I would definitely opt for that, especially if it includes a free drinks package. Otherwise take into account that gratuities, drinks and shore excursions will be a lot higher on Celebrity.

Eve

We also like Celebrity but prefer to do Caribbean cruises with P&O because of the direct flight straight to Barbados (missing US immigration) which means you get more ports of call and less sea days.

Also P&O have a great system where you dont see your luggage after check in at the airport until it arrives in your cabin and the same going home.

When you arrive at Barbados airport you get off the plane onto a bus and go to the ship without going through immigration and your luggage follows in a van.

On the final day you stay on the ship until later in the day depending when your flight home is. On Celebrity you have to disembark early in the morning.