Broadway style shows on which ships?

mlbcruiser

We have seen Broadway style musicals on Oasis and Harmony of the Seas. What other ships/lines currently have these types of musicals and/or plays?

Hoping someone out there knows because it doesn’t always say in the ship information you find on various booking websites.

Thanks for any information!

I knew the oasis and Quantum class had shows and I thought either the freedom of the seas or liberty of the seas might have them. Just wasn’t sure. Maybe they both do? We saw grease on Norwegian many years ago but I did not know they had them on some of their ships now. I appreciate the info. Thanks!

The OP asked about Broadway STYLE shows, not specifically Broadway shows.

Every cruise line I have been on have presented these shows on at least one or two nights. They are not Broadway caliber, more like a local community performing arts group than true Broadway quality. The complication on a ship is that the performers will put on several different productions during the cruise, having to learn the dialog, songs and choreography of a half dozen or more shows for the duration of a long cruise.

True Broadway theaters only do one performance several times per week for weeks. They have the luxury of being much more practiced since they have only one show to learn for the duration of the performance schedule.

I give the ship performers much credit. They have to learn several shows and do them on a moving stage, something true Broadway performers aren't challenged with.

OK, to clarify & be more specific, I am talking about musicals/plays of the type that would appear on Broadway. Not just some singing/dancing production show that I realize nearly all mainstream cruise ships have. Many years ago the first one I knew about was Grease on NCL. Around the same time Princess had Pirates of Penzance. Not sure that they had this feature fleet wide and for years the lines didn’t seem to be offering such shows, but I Was glad to find some years back that some lines were offering them again.

The OP asked about Broadway STYLE shows, not specifically Broadway shows.

Every cruise line I have been on have presented these shows on at least one or two nights. They are not Broadway caliber, more like a local community performing arts group than true Broadway quality. The complication on a ship is that the performers will put on several different productions during the cruise, having to learn the dialog, songs and choreography of a half dozen or more shows for the duration of a long cruise.

True Broadway theaters only do one performance several times per week for weeks. They have the luxury of being much more practiced since they have only one show to learn for the duration of the performance schedule.

I give the ship performers much credit. They have to learn several shows and do them on a moving stage, something true Broadway performers aren't challenged with.

Well every cruise line can nearly match that description, even Carnival's dining experience can be a ten minute broadway session.

Wish they would all go to this type show . It is nothing new we saw Hairspray on Carnival many years (it was very good) The old style show are played out and should go away. The good part if they did there are a lot of good shows to choose .''Annie Get Your Gun '' would be my choice not much plot and 10 or so great songs from Irving Berlin the G.O.A.T.

OK, to clarify & be more specific, I am talking about musicals/plays of the type that would appear on Broadway.

Not just some singing/dancing production show that I realize nearly all mainstream cruise ships have.

Many years ago the first one I knew about was Grease on NCL. Around the same time Princess had Pirates of Penzance. Not sure that they had this feature fleet wide and for years the lines didn’t seem to be offering such shows, but I Was glad to find some years back that some lines were offering them again.

In regards to Royal Caribbean, the following (90 minute to 2-hour) full-length Broadway shows/musicals are:

Hairspray

Symphony of the Seas

Grease

Harmony of the Seas & Independence of the Seas

We Will Rock You

Anthem of the Seas

Cats

Oasis of the Seas

Mamma Mia!

Allure of the Seas

Saturday Night Fever

Liberty of the Seas

Would love to see Saturday Night Fever on the Liberty but don’t want to do it’s current itineraries. Saw Grease yrs ago on NCL and again on Harmony OTS a few months ago. Hairspray on the Oasis was excellent! Also saw Cats on the Oasis. Boy, that one was really painful to sit through. I’m sure the cast was good enough, but their accents were very heavily British sounding and their words couldn’t be clearly understood well. Cats is a bit complicated for that venue, IMO anyway. I forced myself to stay through it all, though my dh & friends left. About 75% of the audience walked out before it was halfway over.

I agree that It would be great to see this type of entertainment offered on every cruise. Some personal favorites would be: West Side Story (although maybe that is too sad?), Million Dollar Quartet, Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast, Hamilton ( fat chance!) & Mama Mia.

We have seen Broadway style musicals on Oasis and Harmony of the Seas. What other ships/lines currently have these types of musicals and/or plays?

Hoping someone out there knows because it doesn’t always say in the ship information you find on various booking websites.

Quantum and Breakaway

The Norwegian Epic doe a fabulous 90 minute show- Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Even has the Broadway costumes