Wifi Questions

danny8826

Hello,

This is our first time cruising with Princess on the Diamond Princes out of Tokyo (Yokohama Port).

We tried explaining to one of the Princess Cruise agents, but they don't seems to understand so we thought we asked the same questions in this forum.

We plan to buy their internet package onboard. We have spoken to my carrier (T-Mobile) and they have advice us to turn off roaming while on the ship. Our question is, with their internet package which means we are on their Wifi network, can we use the Facebook Messenger for texting purposes or WhatsApp for texting or video chat? The Princess Cruise agent seems to think that we are asking for regular texting. They don't understand that you can text with WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger.

Thank you.

Danny

We plan to buy their internet package onboard. We have spoken to my carrier (T-Mobile) and they have advice us to turn off roaming while on the ship. Our question is, with their internet package which means we are on their Wifi network, can we use the Facebook Messenger for texting purposes or WhatsApp for texting or video chat? The Princess Cruise agent seems to think that we are asking for regular texting. They don't understand that you can text with WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger.

Not only will roaming do nothing on the cruise ship (no cell towers)...the only way to connect to the internet is through the ship's satellite connection. Painfully SLOW and very expensive. Any kind of chatting would be frustrating and expensive.

Technically, you can do it, but it won't be any fun.

Not only will roaming do nothing on the cruise ship (no cell towers)...the only way to connect to the internet is through the ship's satellite connection. Painfully SLOW and very expensive. Any kind of chatting would be frustrating and expensive.

Thank you. I understand that I would have to buy their internet package.

All I really wanted to do is texting through either WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger. So you are saying that even texting through an app still is very slow?

Thank you.

Danny

Once you connect to the Internet via WiFi, you can message via FB Messenger, iMessage, etc. It'll eat up minutes if you wait for a reply. Best to send and re-log on. Be sure to put your phone in Airplane mode and then turn on WiFi. That'll avoid using the ship's cell service and roaming.

Once you connect to the Internet via WiFi, you can message via FB Messenger, iMessage, etc. It'll eat up minutes if you wait for a reply. Best to send and re-log on. Be sure to put your phone in Airplane mode and then turn on WiFi. That'll avoid using the ship's cell service and roaming.

Thank you for the tips. I will be sure to turn on airport mode and turn off roaming.

you should be able to use both without issue. But you will only receive messages when you are connected to the wifi (not the ship's intranet). Make sure to always type in logoff.com to avoid using unnecessary minutes.

Since you have TMobile, you should also be able to use WiFi calling. Depending on where the ship is located, how good reception you have will vary. You should also be able to use WiFi calling in ports if you find places that have free WiFi. Sometimes the ports themselves offer it, or sell a few minutes for very cheap, or you can often get it in a bar or restaurant. It isn't like you would have to have long drawn out conversations, but it is possible to call just to 'check in'. Think of WiFi calling like you are sitting on your couch at home...the same charges apply....so you can call home for free, but it will cost you to call within the country you are in. I did use it a couple of times from the ship in the Caribbean and the connection wasn't wonderful, but it was possible. I have used it many times on land vacations from Europe where the connection was very clear. YMMV Be sure you have it set up before you leave home. I think you have to make at least one call on it locally, before you can use it out of the country....or something very odd like that.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Since Wi-Fi is SO SLOW on the ship, I usually use email to send a message and then sign off. Later, I would sign back on to see if I have any messages and then download the ones I want to read/answer.

As a tip, the more people doing other things will make the Wi-Fi faster since few people are on at that time. Sea days are the worst.

We had good success with WiFi calling in our hotel in Venice and onboard the Pacific in the Adriatic. That was with AT&T WiFi calling on our iPhone. We had to make unplanned calls because of credit card issues but I made certain it was set up before we left for our cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Speeds on ship wifi are variable, I made facetime calls from ship internet successfully when I was in Alaska (outside of cell range) so a blanket statement that wifi is slow is probably a little general. Off peak times will be faster, as will port days (but then it may be cheaper to find wifi at a coffee shop/restaurant).

Texting via an app, like FB or whatsapp is a good bet on wifi (we used iMessage with our families over wifi). As was stated already, logging on for a min or two and then logging off saves minutes and will let things download and then you can compose offline before logging back on (this is especially effective via email, I don't know FB or WA to comment whether that works there too).

Another option in asia might be to get a local sim card. If you have an older phone it's usually not hard to get your carrier to unlock it, and then local sim cards can be purchased for a modest fee and data access is usually pretty affordable.

Greetings Pam! On our last cruise, it seemed that our phone was constantly searching for the Wi-Fi connection. This was using an awful lot of the battery, so I finally just turned it off and forgot about contacting our friends. :eek: Went back to the old "hunt and search" method. ;p

Any suggestions, for our upcoming cruise?

Just Mike

With Princess wifi, you need to log in to the ship network, do what you want, and most importantly log off. The log on/log off process can eat 5 minutes by itself. If you fail to log off your minutes continue to be used. Sometimes the onboard internet cafe manager can put them back.

Hello,

This is our first time cruising with Princess on the Diamond Princes out of Tokyo (Yokohama Port).

We tried explaining to one of the Princess Cruise agents, but they don't seems to understand so we thought we asked the same questions in this forum.

Thank you.

Danny

You don't need to turn off roaming.

Just turn on airplane mode and turn on wifi.

That will take care of it.

We plan to buy their internet package....

Unless things have changed, Japanese laws prohibit the use of Internet on the ship while in Japanese waters.

No problem once out of Japanese waters.

You can use Princess@sea to message other pax and it is free. The problem is that it does not tell you when a message arrives so you have to check. This is but one of the features offered along with checking your folio in real time, looking at the events and selecting those you want to track/attend, ship map etc. Once on the ship connect to <ship>.princess.com and create a login and password. Once created you will use that each time you want to attach. Best part is that it is totally free.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/activities/princess-at-sea/

From question 6 on this page:

http://www.princess.com/come-back-new/top-ten-faq/

"Mobile phone service is available for use when the ship is at sea, in international waters, and in other areas where such use is permitted. All charges will be conveniently billed to you directly by your mobile device provider.

Your mobile phone provider must have a roaming agreement with Maritime Communications Partner (MCP)or Wireless Maritime Services (WMS). Please contact your provider for more details on rates and availability."

It might be expensive, and some folks might prefer not to use, but that is different than not available.

You don't need to turn off roaming.

Just turn on airplane mode and turn on wifi.

That will take care of it.

I agree. This is what my son did for iMessage from Europe and instructions to me for upcoming cruise. Airplane mode on, wifi on.