Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:32 PM.
Arkansas
162 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
DH feels naked without his multitool, which of course includes a small knife (less than 3" long). NCL's website states that knives over 4" are not allowed, but how consistent are they with this? And should he make sure to put it in checked baggage or anything? What about at ports?
5,300 Posts
Joined May 2009
I take one in my checked baggage to have in the cabin. I could carry it around on the ship then if I wished. However, boarding at a port it would have to be placed through the scanner. But, if under 4 inch blade, rules say ok. Personally, to avoid any question and interpretation by different security persons scanning, I'd leave it on the ship at ports.
Wisconsin
322 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by LeesaB
DH feels naked without his multitool, which of course includes a small knife (less than 3" long). NCL's website states that knives over 4" are not allowed, but how consistent are they with this? And should he make sure to put it in checked baggage or anything? What about at ports?
He knows he cant put that in his carry-on for a plane right?
5,300 Posts
Joined May 2009
And to hand carry it when first entering the initial port of departure, that security is provided by that port authority, not NCL. The port authority might have more strict rules about knives in the port terminal building.
923 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Originally posted by richg35
You never know when you might need to whittle a bar of soap into a swan on a cruise.

Yea, but it makes it tough when your cabin has liquid soap dispensers.
Arkansas
162 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by packer99
He knows he cant put that in his carry-on for a plane right?
Sure, but we're not flying, we're driving to NOLA. We know how airport security works, but it's been so long since we've cruised we had no idea if they were subject to the same restrictions.
Peachtree City
612 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Does he walk around fixing things all the time? I can't imagine having to have a pocket knife in my bathing suit...but carry on...
Arkansas
162 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by PTC DAWG
Does he walk around fixing things all the time? I can't imagine having to have a pocket knife in my bathing suit...but carry on...
LOL! He's not much of a swimmer unless it's in the ocean so I'm sure he won't be wearing swimwear much on the ship itself (he's more of a sip a drink and wander around person). I make fun of him all the time for the amount of stuff that he considers necessary to don every day (multitool, flashlight, handkerchief, wallet, lip balm, pen, etc) it's funny to watch him take all his stuff out of his pockets at the end of the day. But he says he uses them multiple times a day, no matter what he's doing...

It's just one of his quirks. But it does make him handy to be around if I have a tag that needs cut off, or dropped something into a dark corner, or...
Edmonton, Alberta
134 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Just my own experience: Had a multi tool in small first aid/emergency kit with my dive gear and even though the blade is less than 3 inches they confiscated it from my checked bag and gave it back upon disembarking at the end of the cruise. I no longer bring the "knife".
Big Apple
7,684 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
This is a small Coleman multi-tool, similar to those SAK (including TSA compliant ones, without the knife blade for travel) - the small knife is about 1.5" long when unfolded for use, small but sharpened and good for most field tasks. I keep those with the digital gadgets pouch, along with assorted wires, ties, extension cables, clips, etc. as carry-on and have yet to run into any issues at security checkpoints.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcqom60wfg...-Tool.jpg?dl=0

I have had the hi-output adjustable LED flashlight checked for its "defensive" bezel at oversea airports & to make sure it wasn't something else.

About the only time that I left both of these at home was when I reported for & served on a 4 week criminal trial last summer, since the courts had very strict restrictions about what to/not bring ... no matter what. Free WiFi, computer terminal access & we had use of our tablets, iPads, iPhones & smartphone until we started our jury deliberation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Gem - 7D FL/GSC/Nassau (4/28/18) Review, Pix, Dailies, MDR menus, FAQ, etc.
NCL Breakaway Semi Live 10/29-11/3/17 Halloween Storm Special Take #2 Link w. Dailies
Latest - NCL's iConcierge App, WiFi, FAQ/guides, tips/extras, etc. GSC cellular services & WiFi.
NCL Gem - 7D FL/GSC/Nassau (4/29/17) Pix, Dailies, MDR menu, FAQ, WiFi & Extras. CC Gem review.
NCL Breakaway - 7D Bermuda (5/22/16) Semi Live Quick Update, Pix & Extras - Link
NCL Breakaway - 7D FL/GSC/Nassau (3/22/15) Pix Review, FAQ & Extras
NCL Breakaway - 7D FL/Bahamas (3/23/14) Sailaway (photos,) Inside/Balcony, FAQ, Dining & Review
CCL Splendor 8D E. Caribbean (9/22/13) Pix Review - *8B* Balcony 8417 & 8419 PDF Links: FunTimes, Internet & some Menus **
NCL Gem - 9D E.Caribbean Review (11/7/2012) post Hurricane Sandy NYC Dailies, Maps, & Specials.
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (Bermuda 5D - May 5, 2012) Review
NCL Jewel: (Bahamas 7D - Feb. 13, 2011) Freestyle Daily schedules
NCLA Pride of America - 7D Hawaii May 2009 Review Road to Hana (video) photos (u/l from NCL Star: Mexico Rivera, March 2009 & Alaska, Sept 2009)
NCL Crown, Bermuda 2007 & 2006, NCL Dawn 2005 & 2003, NCL Sea 2001
RCCL Voyager of the Seas (Canada/NE 2004)
Premier Cruises SS Sea Breeze (1998) Prince of Fundy Cruises MS Scotia Prince (1993, 95)
Georgia
2,588 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I have carried a pocket knife on every cruise. Never a problem. Most of the time they never even checked blade length.
NY
1,238 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
On my last cruise a bartender and a customer were showing off their Leatherman multi tools openly. I had a smaller version in my carry on toiletries that made it on without a problem

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival - November 1997 - don't remember the name of the ship. but it was out of Miami
HAL Zuiderdam - March 2005
NCL Spirit - 1 night cruise - September 2007
NCL Gem - March 2008
RC Explorer of the Seas - February 2009
NCL Gem - A return engagement - March 2010
NCL Sky - 10th Anniversary Cruise, 3 Nights, no kids, no problem (except for a little Hurricane back home) - August 2011
NCL Breakaway - February Break 2014
NCL Breakaway - February Break Redux (2015)

NCL Gem - February Break 2016 - Return to Paradise
BUFFALO, NY
3,177 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
LOL! He's not much of a swimmer unless it's in the ocean so I'm sure he won't be wearing swimwear much on the ship itself (he's more of a sip a drink and wander around person). I make fun of him all the time for the amount of stuff that he considers necessary to don every day (multitool, flashlight, handkerchief, wallet, lip balm, pen, etc) it's funny to watch him take all his stuff out of his pockets at the end of the day. But he says he uses them multiple times a day, no matter what he's doing...

It's just one of his quirks. But it does make him handy to be around if I have a tag that needs cut off, or dropped something into a dark corner, or...
This made me laugh today!
I took my parents on a cruise last year, and my 75 year old Father never got his luggage.
Shortly after we inquired about it, ship security delivered a note to their cabin, inviting them down to the "naughty room"!!!

We all went down to the security office and they asked my Dad to identify his bag.
He did....they opened it....and there it was.....
Unbeknownst to the rest of us, my dad had packed a full blown TOOL KIT!!

Why?
No one knows.....but I suppose it is His natural inclination to be prepared for anything at all times! HAHA!
We all still laugh about it til this day.....and now we know He is not alone out there!!

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR STORY!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

PAST CRUISES:
Disney - DISNEY WONDER - BAHAMAS (4/03)
Royal Caribbean - RADIANCE OF THE SEAS - CARIBBEAN (11/06)
Princess - CARIBBEAN PRINCESS - CARIBBEAN (5/07)
Norwegian - NORWEGIAN SUN - CARIBBEAN (3/08)
Norwegian - NORWEGIAN STAR - MEXICAN RIVIERA (10/08)
Norwegian - NORWEGIAN STAR - MEXICAN RIVIERA (09/09)
Carnival - CARNIVAL IMAGINATION - CARIBBEAN (4/10)
Carnival - CARNIVAL IMAGINATION - CARIBBEAN (2/11)
Norwegian - NORWEGIAN EPIC - EUROPE / MEDITERRANEAN (10/11)

Carnival - CARNIVAL GLORY - CANADA (7/12)
Carnival - CARNIVAL IMAGINATION - CARIBBEAN (12/12)
Norwegian - NORWEGIAN GEM - CARIBBEAN - FROM NYC (3/13)
Princess - GOLDEN PRINCESS - WEST COAST (10/13)
Norwegian - NORWEGIAN EPIC - EUROPE / MEDITERRANEAN (10/14)
Norwegian - NORWEGIAN STAR - NORWAY (6/15)
Carnival - CARNIVAL CONQUEST - CARIBBEAN (11/15)
Norwegian - NORWEGIAN SKY - BAHAMAS (9/16)
Princess - RUBY PRINCESS - MEXICAN RIVIERA (2/17)

Celebrity - CELEBRITY EQUINOX - SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN (5/17)
Holland America - ZUIDERDAM - PANAMA CANAL (4/18)
Arkansas
162 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by mking8288
This is a small Coleman multi-tool, similar to those SAK (including TSA compliant ones, without the knife blade for travel) - the small knife is about 1.5" long when unfolded for use, small but sharpened and good for most field tasks. I keep those with the digital gadgets pouch, along with assorted wires, ties, extension cables, clips, etc. as carry-on and have yet to run into any issues at security checkpoints.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcqom60wfg...-Tool.jpg?dl=0

I have had the hi-output adjustable LED flashlight checked for its "defensive" bezel at oversea airports & to make sure it wasn't something else.

About the only time that I left both of these at home was when I reported for & served on a 4 week criminal trial last summer, since the courts had very strict restrictions about what to/not bring ... no matter what. Free WiFi, computer terminal access & we had use of our tablets, iPads, iPhones & smartphone until we started our jury deliberation.
Glad to know he's not the only one. Thanks!
Arkansas
162 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by NEW 2 CRUISIN
This made me laugh today!
I took my parents on a cruise last year, and my 75 year old Father never got his luggage.
Shortly after we inquired about it, ship security delivered a note to their cabin, inviting them down to the "naughty room"!!!

We all went down to the security office and they asked my Dad to identify his bag.
He did....they opened it....and there it was.....
Unbeknownst to the rest of us, my dad had packed a full blown TOOL KIT!!

Why?
No one knows.....but I suppose it is His natural inclination to be prepared for anything at all times! HAHA!
We all still laugh about it til this day.....and now we know He is not alone out there!!

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR STORY!!
LOL I guess he wanted to be prepared to fix his toilet if it started leaking or something!
Connecticut
44 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Oh my goodness NEW 2 CRUISIN, you made me LOL!! When I was newly married and my dear dad would come to visit, he had a full tool kit in the trunk of his car -- he would walk around my home with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers sticking out of his back pocket. When I asked why, he said, "Just looking for something to tighten..." Just being helpful! How wonderful for the rest of us!
1,579 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Two flashlights, pen, pocketknife, multi-tool, length of 20lb test line, tourniquet, USB drive, handcuff key, pistol, spare mag, keychain reading glasses, and wallet for every day carry. Pocket stuff can add up.

For cruises typically not the knife, gun, or multi-tool. But I may add the multi-tool back after reading this policy.

You don't want to know what rides in the truck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature