World cruise thoughts?

Little Rascal

It's not nice to try to shame people. Your question is inappropriate.

I have not tried to shame anybody. This is not something I would do. I ask because I have lived in Africa 3 years. I have worked and travelled in several African countries (South Africa, Mozambique, Zambia, Ethiopia, Namibia, Botswana, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Kenia). I have cruised last November with Azamara to the Middle East (Dubai, Oman, Qatar, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain).

Because of this I could not understand why you would not get off the ship when you are on those countries, and what do you mean with being "discerning". My question was not with bad intentions. I am sorry if you felt it that way. Of course you do not need to answer the question.

Ivi

Ivi..I can understand why you might ask this question and are not trying to shame anyone. Some of us have lived and worked in parts of the world that might not be comfortable for others. We lived and worked for 2 1/2 years in late '80s in Yemen. Now that is a country you wouldn't visit today! Also have lived and worked for 2 years in country of Oman..a truly lovely country. So experiences might have an influence on where you like to visit.

Francie

JimandStan,

Since the World Cruise is also composed of many short segments, if in an OVO level suite, does your bar setup get replenished at the start of each segment, rather than just one 6 bottle allotment at the start of the 120+ days?

Ivi..I can understand why you might ask this question and are not trying to shame anyone. Some of us have lived and worked in parts of the world that might not be comfortable for others. We lived and worked for 2 1/2 years in late '80s in Yemen. Now that is a country you wouldn't visit today!

Francie

Total agree I have visited and been in countries 30, 20, or even 5 years ago that I enjoyed., had a wonderful experience great time

However , today we are in a very, very rapidly changing world since 9-11. and many of those places are extremely dangerous today...That is the sad reality, you can not beleive it but that doesn't mean it is not really there

Islamic radical terrorists have spread all over from the Philippines to Africa... , Any body up for visiting Syria or Somalia?

The old adage of being a low-key considerate person and the locals will not bother you was only true in past years. Sadly it is a new world and a new day that shows no sign of slowing down.

Today there are folks in many countries actively seeking out, ( hunting if you will) westerners american and European visitors to kill or kidnap and kill.. just for being a westerner...they don't care.

When the the US Army And Navy is sending Special forces and SEAL units to help locals governments deal with the violence and terrorism, I dont think I really want to go there.. So I miss some cool things,but keep alive.....

JimandStan,

Since the World Cruise is also composed of many short segments, if in an OVO level suite, does your bar setup get replenished at the start of each segment, rather than just one 6 bottle allotment at the start of the 120+ days?

Yes they do, bottles are replaced at the start of each segment. :hearteyes:

• 2 weeks later...

All categories of the world cruise 2019 are waitlisted. How many months in advance is the final payment date?

In addition, are gratuities included on the WC 2019?

Ivi

Cancel anytime prior to 180 days out = no charge (the final payment date). Note deposits are 20%.

Cancel anytime prior to 180 days out = no charge (the final payment date). Note deposits are 20%.

Actually, cancelling before 180 days prior to the cruise has a $250 penalty. After 180 begins the higher penalty schedule. 20% is the deposit.

If you pay a deposit to be on the waitlist, supposedly you'll have priority over those who are on the waitlist without a deposit. Not sure if this is true in reality. Not sure if a waitlist deposit is 20% or a lesser amount.

Quick Q: since were in tax season, with the ATW cruise leaving Miami in early January, how do you handle filing state & federal US tax returns due April 15?

1099s & K1s are not issued until well after the ATW departs so I am curious how the paperwork is submitted to your CPA & how the filings are handled while you are overseas for 6 months.

Wristband: I asked Mr. Wonderful how he did ours: following is his answer

1. make sure your estimated taxes are paid in full to cover your obligations

2. there is a way to file for an automatic extension to Aug 15--your CPA should help you with that

3. he made 2 envelopes containing the forms for & checks for estimated taxes for 4/15 and 6/15 and had someone mail them for us

4. in July you get to do taxes upon your return from a wonderful cruise (and i add....sigh)

wristband:

#1 refers to 'current year' (like 2018)

#3 refers to 'sailing year' (like 2019)

glad it helped. CPA should be your go-to person.

What particularly helped is that he fixed it so that the IRS owed us some $ rather than we owed the IRS!!!

All categories of the world cruise 2019 are waitlisted. How many months in advance is the final payment date?

In addition, are gratuities included on the WC 2019?

Ivi

Final payment is six months out. Yes to gratuities. If you download the brochure for the RTW there will be list of the included amenities.