Update on Darkwood Beach

jasperado

Visited 2nd February 2017.Wonderful beach! Took a #22 bus from the bus depot. just hung around and a guy asked where did we want to go......loaded a bus full and then on our way! $2 each. Chatted to a local lady on the bus who made sure the driver stopped where we wanted to get off. We got there by 9am and there was plenty of room. Sunbeds (2) umbrella (1) $15.The clearest most bluest sea I have ever swam in. Pure paradise.

IMG_20170201_093738.jpg.e30c730072a9e33e323a2b743a9a862c.jpg

Visited 2nd February 2017.Wonderful beach! Took a #22 bus from the bus depot. just hung around and a guy asked where did we want to go......loaded a bus full and then on our way! $2 each. Chatted to a local lady on the bus who made sure the driver stopped where we wanted to get off. We got there by 9am and there was plenty of room. Sunbeds (2) umbrella (1) $15.The clearest most bluest sea I have ever swam in. Pure paradise.

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to visiting it in December when we are there.

How far is it from the port?

Is there places to east close by?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
How busy is Darkwood when several ships are in port?

Noisy, and full of Herds, because a local Bus goes there (no need to pay for a taxi).

As the morning progresses, more and more Herds will arrive, with any treasured personal space being constantly minimised. This will include any "Front Row" sea view.

There are better places on the Island, but you have to pay. Therefore, Herds will definitely avoid.

We were there several years ago and it looked like a dump on the outside but once you went through the gate it was wonderful. Must have been a slow day because there weren't many people there. Sounds like business has picked up so I think I'll look at somewhere to avoid the "herds".

Noisy, and full of Herds, because a local Bus goes there (no need to pay for a taxi).

As the morning progresses, more and more Herds will arrive, with any treasured personal space being constantly minimised. This will include any "Front Row" sea view.

There are better places on the Island, but you have to pay. Therefore, Herds will definitely avoid.

This is absolute hogwash. Darkwood(and adjacent Turner's beach) are among the nicer/least crowded beaches(ratio-wise) on Antigua.

While there may be a handful of people there on any given day, it is far from what could be described as "herds". To suggest as such is dishonest.

Furthermore. ALL of the beaches on Antigua are public. No need to pay for any of them.

We loved Darkwood! The water was gorgeous and the beach was very nice. We arrived around 9:30--only about 10 people there. A few more people came throughout the day, but never "herds". As a matter of fact, it was one of the most peaceful, relaxing beach days I have ever had.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
thanks for the information how far is the bus from the ship how much would a taxi be to darkwood beach

The West Bus Station Terminal, which is where the #22 bus that goes to Darkwood Beach is located, is about a half mile from the port. Just head straight out from the Port and hang a right on Market Street. Anyone in the area can tell you where it is.

A taxi (one-way) to Darkwood Beach from the pier is $26 for 1-4 passengers. Additional passengers after that are either $6 or $7

Do the buses accept US dollars? Thank you

Yes, but they do not give change in US dollars. Bus fare to Darkwood Beach is $3.00 ECD, or approx $1.15 US

Are the return buses at regular intervals?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

No, you just stand by the side of the road and flag the bus down as it comes by. No set scheduledes. However, during daylight hours there are a fair number of busses since that is the way the majority of people on the island get from place to place.

No, you just stand by the side of the road and flag the bus down as it comes by. No set scheduledes. However, during daylight hours there are a fair number of busses since that is the way the majority of people on the island get from place to place.
We spent a lovely morning at Darkwood Beach. In the end 4 of us shared a taxi paying $6 each per journey. Despite a cruise ship in town there were only about 10 people on this beautiful secluded beach. Water was lovely temperature. Darkwood Beach is breathtaking.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Darkwood many times, but not since the hurricanes. There is a cafe/restaurant on the beach and the food is actually quite good. Everyone is friendly, they rent chairs, have bathrooms and even a shower. If you go there ask for "Too Tall" who is a long time fixture at that cafe and the guy who seems to keep things running. There is some snorkeling off of Darkwood (towards the left side) but its hit or miss depending on the clarity of the water which gets sandy if there has been any wind or turbulence in the prior few days.

Hank

We were at Darkwood since the hurricane. My husband did try to snorkel but there wasn't a lot to see. If I'm ever back in Antigua would absolutely visit Darkwood again. Beautiful beach.

The snorkeling does leave much to be desired. But if the water is clear/calm there is some coral and decent fish to the left of the beach....near the rocks. The last couple of times we were at the beach the water was just too cloudy (with sand) to justify snorkeling. Will be there again in a couple of weeks and we are not going to bother dragging our snorkel gear.

Hank