Tipping - New Policy

Ouch...this post is gonna get Flamed, not justifiably, but it will.

It shouldn't be.

Some people have that experience, some the exact opposite. The observer is as much a part of that equation as anything, so we should expect divergent reporting.

As a consumer of travel services, I want providers to be treated and compensated fairly. That is, quite frankly, in my best interest.

It is okay if we disagree on the best way to achieve that. All of us have imperfect knowledge, so disagreements should be the expected norm.

I just got off my 5th Majesty cruise and had by far the worst service I've ever had. I don't know if it has to do with pre-paid tips, but I was really surprised. I didn't eat in the MDR at all--most of my meals were in the WJ. Not one waiter came up to my table other than to clear my plates when I was done eating. No one offered to get me drinks or anything. My cabin steward was the worst I've had on all my 10 RC cruises, and most of the crew looked bored. Why should I have to "tip" for "exceptional" service when they didn't do anything exceptional? I'm not anti-tipping--I have always given more than the suggested amount and feel that good service should be rewarded--but I don't feel like I should have to tip a head waiter that I never saw, or waiters that paid no attention to me. I'd like to tip the people that deserve it. If they know they're already going to get tips, there's no incentive for them to do anything other than show up.

Hi-I agree, the Majesty crew was very different this time. I was on the ship just a week or so before you were. I wonder if it's b/c of the PPD tips or just a coincidence? The windjammer staff was pretty bad and we had the same experience--not one waiter approached us, either, other than to clear off the table, and that was even tough to get. I did not get many smiles and hellos this time, they seemed very disinterested and downright crabby, to be honest. Had a few issues with bar waiters as well. It's a shame.

Edited by LuckiStac13*Majesty*

It shouldn't be.

Some people have that experience, some the exact opposite. The observer is as much a part of that equation as anything, so we should expect divergent reporting.

As a consumer of travel services, I want providers to be treated and compensated fairly. That is, quite frankly, in my best interest.

It is okay if we disagree on the best way to achieve that. All of us have imperfect knowledge, so disagreements should be the expected norm.

I agree with your comments. My comments allude to the posters on these boards that are so myopic that they lean toward blaming the Tipper and not the Service if you do not bath the service personnel is cash. I welcome divergent reporting, some don't. :( JMHO

I just got off my 5th Majesty cruise and had by far the worst service I've ever had. I don't know if it has to do with pre-paid tips, but I was really surprised. I didn't eat in the MDR at all--most of my meals were in the WJ. Not one waiter came up to my table other than to clear my plates when I was done eating. No one offered to get me drinks or anything. My cabin steward was the worst I've had on all my 10 RC cruises, and most of the crew looked bored. Why should I have to "tip" for "exceptional" service when they didn't do anything exceptional? I'm not anti-tipping--I have always given more than the suggested amount and feel that good service should be rewarded--but I don't feel like I should have to tip a head waiter that I never saw, or waiters that paid no attention to me. I'd like to tip the people that deserve it. If they know they're already going to get tips, there's no incentive for them to do anything other than show up.

Hi-I agree, the Majesty crew was very different this time. I was on the ship just a week or so before you were. I wonder if it's b/c of the PPD tips or just a coincidence? The windjammer staff was pretty bad and we had the same experience--not one waiter approached us, either, other than to clear off the table, and that was even tough to get. I did not get many smiles and hellos this time, they seemed very disinterested and downright crabby, to be honest. Had a few issues with bar waiters as well. It's a shame.

I don't know what the issue is on Majesty or whether it has to do with automatically billed gratuities but I can say that the service on Independence this past March was excellent and it was the first time that I have pre-paid grauities for a cruise and auto tipping was also in place on this cruise. And being a Windjammer person, I will say that I was quite happy with the service in there also.

I don't know what the issue is on Majesty or whether it has to do with automatically billed gratuities but I can say that the service on Independence this past March was excellent and it was the first time that I have pre-paid grauities for a cruise and auto tipping was also in place on this cruise. And being a Windjammer person, I will say that I was quite happy with the service in there also.

Good to hear. I think maybe Majesty is winding down or something (not sure how to put it) since she is leaving the fleet. OR...just a group that was not feeling it. Probably more a case of a group of crew doing 3/4 night cruises that are burned out.

We were on the Oasis last week and our TA had paid our gratuities for us, so I guess it didn't affect them. I'm glad they're doing this because so many people remove tips and don't tip in cash or give an tip extra. We also tip our cabin steward and waiter and asst. waiter extra in cash on the last night.

I have been on a couple cruises where the waiter mentioned it almost every night that we should mark excellent on the comment cards. It did get tiring listening to his spiel and so I just never filled out the card.

This sounds like an overall "attitude" problem. That comes from the top down. If the Captain in particular, and their other direct supervisors, are not motivating them and keeping morale up and demanding their best, we won't get their best.

Look to the top of the heap in a situation like this.

(....which is a discouraging thing to think about.)

Edited by Merion_Mom

• 1 year later...

We just got off the Enchantment today and we thought the service was wonderful. The wait staff at shows were very efficient and working hard. Our room was kept very clean and there were three stewards in our area who would greet us and ask about our day or wish us a nice day. Which I thought was very nice since they were always busy and in the middle of something. Our dinner staff were great - made recommendations, remember what we liked and joked with the kids - even folding napkins and making pillows for them when they said they were tired - or other funny things - and these are older teens, not little kids. But the only awkward moment was the last minute push for good reviews. I didn't mind it at all - it was just she went on and on about it (and she was our favorite on the ship) and it got kind of uncomfortable. It made me feel bad that she worked so hard and had to beg for good reviews - which we will gladly give.

Is everything YOU don't believe,"BS"? Gee thanks for the warm welcome on this thread. Sure was great chatting and exchanging thoughts, TRUE experiences in a mature, non threatending manner. I won't defend myself further. I see you know better than me. Oh wait, you couldn't. You weren't there!! Happy sails to you.

Well said,where is the like button.:)

Can you choose to cancel the automatic gratuities and give directly to staff? Prepaid gratuities don't reward those that go beyond their job description.

You can cancel automatic gratuities, but you cannot cancel prepaid gratiuties.

A suggestion

RC just include gratuities in the cost of any cruise upfront, the % of what would of been paid per the daily rate for the staff! either through Pre-Paid or the envelope route, already equally paid by all that sail.

There would then be no issues with, should I tip or shouldn't I:)

Win win, everyone tips,all staff receive:D

All staff receive that % weekly or monthly in their pay check.

= Happy staff:):):)

Now if people consider certain staff members went above and beyond, then cash is king, tip accordingly.

WOW cards and comment cards IMHO are greatly received by staff, keep these as those who get them do truly appreciate them.

Just a suggestion:cool:

Happy Days!

I find this thread very revealing and at times appalling.

I am searching for a report I read were the author stated RCI pays it's waiters "$150.00 a week".

This is for an average of 14 hours a day 7 days a week for 10 months at a time. These workers are grateful for the opportunity that working for RCI allows them. They are aware of the onerous working conditions when they sign on.

They work for tips and support their families or are saving for a future family.

We have been paying prepaid gratuities for years and one of my wifes preferred perks is to have prepaid gratuities from our TA just one less hassle.

She then gives extra to those invisible staff she meets on the cruise. I am speaking of pool staff or she will hand a ten dollar bill to the fellow wiping down the stair rails or elevator, or the women cleaning the ladies public washroom.

I always tip our room steward a $20.00 when they introduce themselves at the start of the cruise. It is my belief I am tipping in advance for the exemplary service they will render during the cruise we have always tipped more at the end as well.

I laughed recently reading a thread of CC members lamenting the absence of chocolates on the pillow something stopped years ago.

This springs TA on Navigator we took on 2 cartons of chocolate bars form Costco. We left 4 or 5 chocolate bars on the bed before we went to dinner every few nights for our steward to hand out to his co workers. When we saw Solomon every morning was Faaaantastic!

We had an amazing cruise and met many wonderful people some were cruisers but even more were ship staff.

I am amazed by those who cruise and are supposedly living the life style but are offended when confronted with the issue of tips.

They state they want to pay the tips in cash, but for every person that says that I bet there are 10 who use it as an excuse to dodge it.

You just have to look at the empty seats last cruise night.

They suggest the tips be included in the fare and then complain about the cost of fares.

You have people posting on this thread that they are concerned they might have to pay for 2 nights of tips for nights they will not be on board or worse they missed a night at the MDR and ate at the Specialty restaurant or the buffet and don't want to pay the evening MDR tip!

So we might spend an extra couple of hundred in gratuities when we cruise. That is our choice.

So little can bring so much to others but if such a small amount means so much to your financial bottom line I feel for you.

If you skimp on tips and do it because that is just your nature then man up to it as I am not really interested in how you justify it to yourself or others.

Feel free to tip as much as you want,it your money.:)

Ouch...this post is gonna get Flamed, not justifiably, but it will. I agree with your comments and think the same way. I know it's not the popular position to take, but I'm glad you brought it up, it needs to be said. Just get ready to get torched. :eek:

I also agree.maybe they will see that their opinion is not the only one.:)

Exactly. What these cheapskates don't realize (or maybe they are so cheap that they just don't care) is that when you remove tips you are not only stiffing those who have tried hard to make your trip enjoyable but it also reflects badly on their service records, thus also depriving them of raises and promotions. There were times in my life when I couldn't afford to cruise and pay gratuities - guess what, I stayed home. Wouldn't dream of hurting others who were just trying to make a living. J

Seems to me Royal Caribbean is doing the so called stiffing the crew.Again i don't want or need Royal to take my money and give it to who they choose.Tips are given not taken.I will go to guess service and stop them from taking twenty four dollar a day.And i will tip who i please.You don't seem to understand their are other opinions on tipping.Maybe you should spend more time worrying about what you do.Feel free to give as much as you like.:)

I am a generous tipper when deserved. I was a waiter who EARNED tips, my children worked as wait-staff and earned tips. I abhor automatic gratuities, first because it's a fraud. An automatic gratuity is a service charge. Second, often the auto-gratuity is too low, though some times it's undeserved.

I will, if possible, cancel the auto gratuity and do the traditional envelopes. I expect very good service, that is what a cruise is about. I also do not confuse friendliness with excellent services. When I first meet the cabin attendant besides being friendly and polite I tell him/ her the few things we require. Extra towels each day. I don't feel I need to make the request each day if i ask politely with specific requests. I also like an ice bucket with turndown service.

I prefer a professional relationship with the staff not a personal one. That means civility, politeness and respectful behavior, but I am not looking for someone to be chatty and personable if they can't remember the few requests that we make.

If RCI wants to add a daily service charge, they are free to do so but if they call it a gratuity then it needs to be a voluntary act without conditions or expectations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our may April Navigator TA cruise, most of the staff, waiters and such did not seem so concerned about surveys or even the WOW cards.

When we asked for their full names they said it did not matter when we filled out the cards as management would know who they were.

When we said we needed the info as we were sending a letter to the Head office and wanted the full name correct their demeanor totally changed as that they said had an impact on their careers.

They said letters were read publicly at staff meeting and posted for staff to read.

When we were recently on NOS whilst they appreciated the wow cards (they can turn in for rewards), they said being mentioned on customer satisfaction survey was what was actually noted for promotions, new contracts etc. now that the survey is online and goes direct to corporate, that is where they wanted recognition.

Can you choose to cancel the automatic gratuities and give directly to staff? Prepaid gratuities don't reward those that go beyond their job description.

I am sure that anybody who wants to give more to their waiters, housekeepers etc can just give money just to them. That will reward those that go beyond their job description.

Yes, you can call this a daily service charge. Whatever you call it, the workers will get paid.

I am sure that anybody who wants to give more to their waiters, housekeepers etc can just give money just to them. That will reward those that go beyond their job description.

Yes, you can call this a daily service charge. Whatever you call it, the workers will get paid.

If you don't give them tips in addition to the automatic gratuities you aren't tipping at all.

If you don't give them tips in addition to the automatic gratuities you aren't tipping at all.

You are quibbling, in a way that puzzles me, about semantics.

Whether you like it or not, those automatic charges ARE gratuities and they DO go to the workers who are listed (housekeeping staff, cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter).

They are the "suggested" amounts, and they are, in the mind of Royal Caribbean and most cruisers, adequate for the work provided.

If you feel that anyone has provided service beyond that, you should feel free

to give MORE, either in cash or on your SeaPass account. (yes, you can do that by filling out a form at Guest Services)

You are quibbling, in a way that puzzles me, about semantics.

Whether you like it or not, those automatic charges ARE gratuities and they DO go to the workers who are listed (housekeeping staff, cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter).

They are the "suggested" amounts, and they are, in the mind of Royal Caribbean and most cruisers, adequate for the work provided.

If you feel that anyone has provided service beyond that, you should feel free

to give MORE, either in cash or on your SeaPass account. (yes, you can do that by filling out a form at Guest Services)

I honestly don't see it like that. I see it as RCC trying to compensate low pay with money given by passengers. If everyone stopped giving gratuities, RCC would have / need to pay their staff a competitive wage. I feel giving gratuities via the recommended RCCI system benefits RCC, and that handing actual people tips goes directly to them and is therefore better.

RCC is a business and we shouldn't be trying to look after their staff. They should be doing that themselves.

I honestly don't see it like that. I see it as RCC trying to compensate low pay with money given by passengers. If everyone stopped giving gratuities, RCC would have / need to pay their staff a competitive wage. I feel giving gratuities via the recommended RCCI system benefits RCC, and that handing actual people tips goes directly to them and is therefore better.

RCC is a business and we shouldn't be trying to look after their staff. They should be doing that themselves.

No, they wouldn't, as that is not how the service system works in America (where RCCL is based). The vast majority of service positions such as wait staff, hotel workers etc make most of their money in tips with a small wage as a retainer. I know this is not how we do it in Australia or the UK, but we pay much higher prices for pretty much everything. So either you pay it in tips or you pay it in higher prices, in the end the customer pays one way or another.

No, they wouldn't, as that is not how the service system works in America (where RCCL is based). The vast majority of service positions such as wait staff, hotel workers etc make most of their money in tips with a small wage as a retainer. I know this is not how we do it in Australia or the UK, but we pay much higher prices for pretty much everything. So either you pay it in tips or you pay it in higher prices, in the end the customer pays one way or another.

Which is why it isn't a tip. My thinking has always been to put the prices higher, but they won't, because it won't look such a value for money holiday. I'm saying the same thing as you, we are compensating salary. If we don't pay tips, then RCC will have to find an alternative way of paying their staff. Our gratuities as the start of a holiday don't go to the people who serve us, they to to the next holiday's staff.