MUTS . Celebrity

ghstudio

MUTS....the deck 12 movie is running non stop from 10am to midnight today. The infinity is moving at 20mph so there is constant wind and water noise which seems to effectively drown out the movie sound. Since I’m not in one of the five rear A1 cabins, I can’t really tell how much you hear on those balconies or if you want to sleep. I did stop in the hallway just outside those cabins today and I heard no noise from the movie above.

When we were in port and they played a movie I could definitely hear it from the deck 10 aft bar.....when moving today, I can’t hear it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can hear it loud and clear from those 5 aft AQ's. Really annoying. (from the balconies, not inside your cabin so you can sleep).

warmwinds - good to know... I've toyed with the idea of a future Aqua class booking in those staterooms if I see one available. I know they are hard to come by. Thanks for providing your personal assessment.

Walter

We were on the Summit in 1141 in the aft with the wonderful balconies that we have enjoyed so much in the past. We had a difficult time enjoying our balcony this time since they played the movies from at least 7 AM (that was the earliest I was out there) until late at night. Music and noise from the Sunset bar were not distracting, but the movies were annoying. There was no noise inside the cabin.

We went to Guest Relations and asked them very nicely if they could at least turn it down. They said no one else had complained and acted surprised, but said to call when it happened again and they would try to do something. When we called a little later when The Birds were chasing Tippi Hedren yet again (and my DH checked and no one was up there watching it), we were told they would call the AV people. It never was turned down so we called back and were told that they had called AV and it was at their discretion whether or not to turn it down. We gave up and I wore ear plugs and acclimated eventually, but this was the only real downside to an otherwise wonderful cruise.

We have had 1141 booked for our Alaskan cruise for quite some time. I really hope that they don't run those movies all day in the cooler weather so that we can have peaceful moments watching the landscape and wildlife. Anyone have experience with Alaskan cruises in those cabins since the theatre was placed? Do they run movies all day in Alaska?

Though I appreciate the concept of the theatre, I selfishly hope that the Retreat will go up there next January during the drydock. It has to be quieter than the theatre. After all, it is all about me. ;)

Edited by vtcruising

Yes, people can't understand why the music from down below doesn't bother you as much as the noise from up above.

Music is just what you hear - you can close your eyes and enjoy it.

A movie needs both the sound and the picture - to not have both is just weird - watching people act with no speaking is just as strange hearing them speak without knowing what was going on. We had the new (at the time) Star Wars movie over and over and over...those movies are really loud and action packed, but to just "hear" it is annoying. We also had some really loud concert over and over, unfortunately not a singer who we like (or can even remember who it was, someone the young uns are into these days).

We went up there to see what it was like and I can't figure out why the people watching it want is SOOOO loud, either.

It won't stop us from booking our fav 1138 again, but it sure detracts from how great it used to be.

I was hoping to get one of those five rooms on the summit on the Canada cruise in 2020 and now I’m not sure if that is something we would want. I will follow it as it gets closer to actually being able to book it and see the cooler weather deters the movies from being shown!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was hoping to get one of those five rooms on the summit on the Canada cruise in 2020 and now I’m not sure if that is something we would want. I will follow it as it gets closer to actually being able to book it and see the cooler weather deters the movies from being shown!

We were B2B2B on the Summit last fall. We actually had three different staterooms, with the middle cruise having us in one of the rear Aqua cabins (specifically 1141). That was the final Canada/New England cruise of the season. We had good weather, and heard absolutely nothing from the movie screen.

Good information Northern Aurora! 1140 1141 are the two rooms that I was hoping to grab when they come open for booking this winter!! I can handle the bar down below but I don’t know if I would’ve liked having a movie theater above me also!!

• 4 months later...

This is worrisome -- the sound shouldn't be so loud that people on balconies below have to listen to it.

Some reviews say the movies were loud, some say no.

Perhaps it depends on who turns them on/staff and such.

I warned you fellow CCers about this before they remodeled the aft deck and 95% of responses were that I was too sensitive

Was on the Summit when they tested the system back a number of years ago

It’s been a terrible idea

We were on Princess after they initiated MUTS and the consensus was mixed. Those who loved it watched it at night. Those who hated it always mentioned the noise level by the pool during the day.

I suppose they ran it constantly so they felt that they got their money's worth. We were not fans, preferring the quiet time by the pool. Even in the Sanctuary it was intrusive. Rather unhappy when they installed it on X.

..........We have had 1141 booked for our Alaskan cruise for quite some time. I really hope that they don't run those movies all day in the cooler weather so that we can have peaceful moments watching the landscape and wildlife. Anyone have experience with Alaskan cruises in those cabins since the theatre was placed?
The biggest drawback of those deck 11 aft cabins to us is not so much the noise above as the obstructed views below.

We can wear earplugs to block out the sounds from above, but we haven't found any solution for the obstructed downward views.

Even when wildlife is right beside the ship, you can't see it from those balconies.

Your downward view is first blocked by a canopy that extends out from the bottom of the balcony, but then below that is the main obstruction, the huge Ocean View/ Sunset Bar deck that extends out below you for about another 15 - 20 feet.

Just be aware (especially if you plan to take photos) that 1140, the cabin to your left, is the one with the flagpole that sticks up right behind it.

From this photo, you can see the canopy extending out directly behind the balcony, but it doesn't show the huge deck that extends out even further below that.

tfss-05a2b2b4-28d9-4e7f-bd78-036a976d1b75-celebrity2520summit-cabin-view_800.jpg

Balcony of 1141

In Icy Strait Point, humpbacks were very close to our ship, right behind it and alongside, but we could not see them at all from the balcony at the back of deck 11.

The same for Juneau, where a mother and calf were swimming in the channel right beside the ship.

We went down to deck 4 to watch them from the promenade deck because we could not see them at all from our balcony.

Those aqua cabins have some nice features, but they all have pros and cons as well.

Edited by varoo

The biggest drawback of those deck 11 aft cabins to us is not so much the noise above as the obstructed views below.

We can wear earplugs to block out the sounds from above, but we haven't found any solution for the obstructed downward views.

Even when wildlife is right beside the ship, you can't see it from those balconies.

Your downward view is first blocked by a canopy that extends out from the bottom of the balcony, but then below that is the main obstruction, the huge Ocean View/ Sunset Bar deck that extends out below you for about another 15 - 20 feet.

Just be aware (especially if you plan to take photos) that 1140, the cabin to your left, is the one with the flagpole that sticks up right behind it.

From this photo, you can see the canopy extending out directly behind the balcony, but it doesn't show the huge deck that extends out even further below that.

tfss-05a2b2b4-28d9-4e7f-bd78-036a976d1b75-celebrity2520summit-cabin-view_800.jpg

Balcony of 1141

In Icy Strait Point, humpbacks were very close to our ship, right behind it and alongside, but we could not see them at all from the balcony at the back of deck 11.

The same for Juneau, where a mother and calf were swimming in the channel right beside the ship.

We went down to deck 4 to watch them from the promenade deck because we could not see them at all from our balcony.

Those aqua cabins have some nice features, but they all have pros and cons as well.

I have been in 1141 and 1138, so know about the flag. That is why I prefer those cabins over 1140 (plus prefer the angled, wider balcony to the longer balcony). We have booked a Southern Alaskan cruise so I booked 1141 to have the 180 degree view and to have the balcony angled toward the shoreline, when in view.

We have only cruised in the Carib and British Isles in those cabins, not Alaska, and were never bothered by not having a direct view downward. You bring up a good point about not being able to see downward on an Alaskan cruise (as well as having a flag in our pictures). I may need to rethink my choice. Thanks for your input!

If they could figure out a way to get the passengers to pay to rent them, I've no doubt they would. :rolleyes:

What’s weird is that they have perfectly good headphones for the silent disco that could be used but the powers that be chose not to

I warned you fellow CCers about this before they remodeled the aft deck and 95% of responses were that I was too sensitive

Was on the Summit when they tested the system back a number of years ago

It’s been a terrible idea

So....do you want an "I told you so" medal? Consider it given.

The sound, and it's affects on the balconies nearby, are driven by the wind strength, wind direction, and whether the ship is moving. Additionally, it is manually controlled by the operators.

If it is too loud, you should contact guest services. If they just point the finger to the AV staff, then you should contact the hotel director.

We have sailed in the side Deck 11 AQ cabins many times. We have never had a problem with noise from above, although on occasion when sitting on our balcony we could hear it in the background faintly. I can't speak to the aft facing, but so far so good on the side cabins.

So....do you want an "I told you so" medal? Consider it given.

Thanks I accept on behalf of all of us with more than half a brain and 90% hearing.

Or is it “herring” fish boy

rotten-fish-2-720x502.jpeg

Edited by A Sixth?

Have sailed a number of times since they installed that darn Movies Under the Stars on Deck 12. It is extremely loud and every time I cruise I have to make numerous complaints as it is not enjoyable even if you are up there. It was so loud I had to leave. The movies are supposed to be for the enjoyment of the folks up there not the entire ship.