Princess Cruise Consultant

kruisey

Was given a Cruise Consultant by Princess who always sent me e-mails regarding Specials.I would curse to the bottom of each one they always stated not available for 'Singles' so I would delete.This has been going on for at least 7 months since I returned from my last cruise.I phoned this person up and mentioned this to them.They answered 'I will take you off the list'.

That was the end of the conversation. I guess there are so few of us in this position that Princess has no need for our revenue? And yes I have brought up this conversation before.

Is there no one at all with whom you would vacation?

That is kind of an unfair assumption. It is not a matter of Having friends that want to travel with you it is a matter of friends who have the time, ability, and circumstances that enable them to travel with you. I have the time and financial ability to travel but since my divorce I would not automatically have a travel partner. Now that being said I am lucky enough to have a sister whose husband hates to travel and this has proven to be a god send for both of us. Besides my sister is more fun then my Ex-partner. Back to the subject at hand. One would think that the Marketing geniuses at Princess would set up travel incentives specifically for the single traveler. The OP is correct that a lot of money gets left on the table because a single traveler is treated like a poor relative.

That is kind of an unfair assumption. It is not a matter of Having friends that want to travel with you it is a matter of friends who have the time, ability, and circumstances that enable them to travel with you. I have the time and financial ability to travel but since my divorce I would not automatically have a travel partner. Now that being said I am lucky enough to have a sister whose husband hates to travel and this has proven to be a god send for both of us. Besides my sister is more fun then my Ex-partner. Back to the subject at hand. One would think that the Marketing geniuses at Princess would set up travel incentives specifically for the single traveler. The OP is correct that a lot of money gets left on the table because a single traveler is treated like a poor relative.

In one way you are correct.My feelings are that Princess says yes we will book them at a premium.......suckers;p

Not anymore Princess is this old lady paying more than a couple for the same type of cabin. Maybe if others followed suite they may decide at last that we are valued customers.....

Edited by kruisey
Addition

In one way you are correct.My feelings are that Princess says yes we will book them at a premium.......suckers;p

Not anymore Princess is this old lady paying more than a couple for the same type of cabin. Maybe if others followed suite they may decide at last that we are valued customers.....

Seems to be almost punitive that solo cruisers now not only are charged double fare, but in some instances, more than 2 times the amount the per person rate for 2 in a cabin. I guess they are determined to make up for the reduced spending onboard because of there not being 2 pax in the cabin. How dare we take up a whole cabin for just one passenger!!

How about a non-guaranteed fixed rate standby category on a space available the day before the manifesto has to be turned in? you would get your cabin assignment basically a couple of days before sailing, if available, anywhere from an inside to a balcony?

of course that almost entirely eliminates flights, scheduling, etc

but you get a great , no single supplement rate:cool:

How about a non-guaranteed fixed rate standby category on a space available the day before the manifesto has to be turned in? you would get your cabin assignment basically a couple of days before sailing, if available, anywhere from an inside to a balcony?

of course that almost entirely eliminates flights, scheduling, etc

but you get a great , no single supplement rate:cool:

That sounds a great idea they would then fill the ship and still time to book a flight.Are you reading Princess?

My husband passed away almost three years ago. We traveled frequently, and we cruised several times. Currently my adult son travels with me on one vacation a year. Next year we are going on an Alaskan cruise. When he gets married and starts his own family, that will change. I will be retiring in less than two years and would like to take some longer cruises to my bucket list places. I have been researching how much it will cost me to cruise solo. It is quite depressing to see how much a solo cruiser has to pay. With the prices that we have to pay, I would make a point of not spending another dime on the ship. Whereas, if the cost to cruise solo was more reasonable, I would make feel very comfortable to make additional purchases on the ship. Therefore Princess would recoup some of their money from me. It seems like there should be some sort of compromise for both Princess, or any other cruiseline, and the solo passenger.

My husband passed away almost three years ago. We traveled frequently, and we cruised several times. Currently my adult son travels with me on one vacation a year. Next year we are going on an Alaskan cruise. When he gets married and starts his own family, that will change. I will be retiring in less than two years and would like to take some longer cruises to my bucket list places. I have been researching how much it will cost me to cruise solo. It is quite depressing to see how much a solo cruiser has to pay. With the prices that we have to pay, I would make a point of not spending another dime on the ship. Whereas, if the cost to cruise solo was more reasonable, I would make feel very comfortable to make additional purchases on the ship. Therefore Princess would recoup some of their money from me. It seems like there should be some sort of compromise for both Princess, or any other cruiseline, and the solo passenger.

I myself always take the onshore excusions with Princess and usually purchase a new watch a fadish with me;)Plus bought cosmetics.Also I pay for a large cake which I give to birthday and anniversary folks on my 'Afternoon Tea' gatherings.So it is not that I personally do not spend on top of the outrageous charge for my cabin.

Anyway this time I have dug in my heels and sent an e-mail to customer relations.

Hi Kruisey,

And I have been the recipient of one of your fabulous Birthday cakes (at tea for cruise critic group).

It was a huge cake, personalized and delicious. It has been a few years but won't forget the nice gesture from you.

Singapore to Vancouver...I loved your group.Remember Pia haggling for the souvenir bag at the night zoo trip in Singapore ?....you both got one...:D

I travel solo a lot and actually prefer it. I have never paid more than the double price. For the past two years, I have been able to get a large balcony room for mediterranean cruises at reasonable prices. I consider the extra charge acceptable for my peace, comfort and exclusive use of the room and balcony. I don't have to share the bed, pillows, closet, bathroom and balcony with anyone else. My vacations were the very definition of relaxing and recharging.

Unfortunately, this year, I was not able to get a reasonable price for the Norway cruise and one of my friends is now able to travel with me. (my other friend usually gets her own room too) So, it's a mixed blessing. I get to do this cruise that I have been looking forward to but now must be respectful of others habits. We have traveled a lot together before very well and I will be happy for her company. But it does have a bit of a down side. We both snore. LOL

I accept the charges but totally understand why other solos are miffed. And btw, I have met many other solos in my cruising that have no problem with the Princess structure. So, I don't think that Princess is not going to make any changes soon.

Kruisey, I remember it well. That was a fun cruise but unfortunately you got so sick on that cruise.

Pia has the great power of persuasion:D

Don't mention that illness:rolleyes:....On my cruise from Sydney to Vancouver this year I caught the dar'n thing twice.Fourth day in then later when a person at my table had it and it got me again.It is cough horrid itchy throat and called upper respiratory infection .It gives one a down in the dumps feeling,and also cuts ones appetite.Yes I do hand wash and disinfect my cabin on arrival.I was fine for the farewell Afternoon Tea the cake gets better every year...we had a large group of employees singing wishing the birthday anniversary folks the best and also a solo female employee sang solo she had a beautiful voice..Most folks left us at LA.We had at least three quarter fill up of new guests up to Vancouver

I travel solo a lot and actually prefer it. I have never paid more than the double price. For the past two years, I have been able to get a large balcony room for mediterranean cruises at reasonable prices. I consider the extra charge acceptable for my peace, comfort and exclusive use of the room and balcony. I don't have to share the bed, pillows, closet, bathroom and balcony with anyone else. My vacations were the very definition of relaxing and recharging.

Unfortunately, this year, I was not able to get a reasonable price for the Norway cruise and one of my friends is now able to travel with me. (my other friend usually gets her own room too) So, it's a mixed blessing. I get to do this cruise that I have been looking forward to but now must be respectful of others habits. We have traveled a lot together before very well and I will be happy for her company. But it does have a bit of a down side. We both snore. LOL

I accept the charges but totally understand why other solos are miffed. And btw, I have met many other solos in my cruising that have no problem with the Princess structure. So, I don't think that Princess is not going to make any changes soon.

See that is it others accept no matter how they personally feel.It needs a large group of folks complaining to get any ball rolling.Come on Solos complain to Princess.

P.S. I am also prize SNORER:eek::eek:

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I read it and felt the need to comment.

Unfortunately I am now a solo traveler, but I have a different perspective. I am still paying the same amount that I would have had there been two of us. Since I choose not to share, other than my missing partner, the $$$ is still the same. Not sharing or looking not to share is a choice.

Hi Heather. :D

As I see it, the solo issue is a problem because the way Princess sells it cabins. That is per person. In reality you are buying a cabin no matter how many people are in it. I think Princess should say " The price of a cabin is $X about with a surcharge for the third and fourth person."

Don’t normally comment on old threads, but since it was reopened....

A single supplement appears to be necessary for more reasons than recouping the second person’s onboard spending. If the price for one person in a balcony cabin is 1/2 of what two people in a balcony cabin is, than my wife could get a balcony cabin at the bow of the ship and I could get a cabin aft for the same price as our one balcony cabin. Of course, then we would never have too far to walk to the bathroom. It would also make getting ready for dinner easier with two small bathrooms instead of one.

Just trying to provide another rationale for the need of single supplements. Some newer ships on other lines are providing some mini studios for singles, but many singles are still opting for a regular cabin due to size.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just trying to provide another rationale for the need of single supplements. Some newer ships on other lines are providing some mini studios for singles, but many singles are still opting for a regular cabin due to size.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

AFAIK, NCL is the only one that has designated studios. I was on the Escape in February and had the opportunity to see one. They are very tiny, but very adequate. Only drawback is they are all inside cabins, so for someone like me who needs a window or a balcony it's not an option.

Seems to be almost punitive that solo cruisers now not only are charged double fare, but in some instances, more than 2 times the amount the per person rate for 2 in a cabin. I guess they are determined to make up for the reduced spending onboard because of there not being 2 pax in the cabin. How dare we take up a whole cabin for just one passenger!!

The mainstream cruiselines have to charge that much. Over 25% of cruise line revenue comes from on board spend or put another way the on board revenue is 1/3 of the fare (fare=75% revenue, onboard = 25% revenue so on board = 1/3 of fare). In that case to a cruise line a couple in a cabin generates revenue of 2 x F + 2 x .33F) = 2.66F. A single even with a 100% single supplement yields 2 x F + .33F = 2.33F. This is approximately a 12.5% lower total revenue than a cabin with a couple.

Considering that CCL owned cruise lines average 104.7% of capacity (capacity equals 2 people per cabin) and has a profit margin of 9.2% the cruise line does not make a profit on single cabins, even with the 100% premium.

Now someone can argue that they spend much more on board. However cruise lines and other businesses have to make the decisions based upon their statistics for a given group (single vs couple etc) not what 1 individual might do. It is also why they often discount the fare for 3 or 4 in a cabin.

Cruise line economics are built around that fact that their limiting factor is the number of cabins. They not only need them full, they need to average more than 2 people in those cabins.

The same economics does not apply to the all inclusive line because of less dependency upon on board spend thus the better deals. Land cruises also can give much lower single supplements because they do not have the same cabin limitation. To them the only cost is the actual cost of the hotel room for 1 instead of for 2. They are usually not limited in the number of hotel room so if 2 seats on a bus are taken up by two singles instead of 1 couple they can just order another hotel room.

Edited by RDC1

AFAIK, NCL is the only one that has designated studios. I was on the Escape in February and had the opportunity to see one. They are very tiny, but very adequate. Only drawback is they are all inside cabins, so for someone like me who needs a window or a balcony it's not an option.

Cunard has added single cabins to their ships. Some are balconies too...

But Cunard is way too limited and way too "formal" for a jeans and tee shirt girl like me. :D

We've missed hearing from you - so sorry to hear of your changes.