On and off the boat

I saw a post on John Heald's "social media" account that he asked if people brought their ID or their passports to get through customs at Cozumel and at ports. I guess my question is: I wasn't planning on bringing anything off the boat but my S&S card. That's what we did last year on Royal Caribbean. I don't have passports and I don't feel comfortable bringing our official birth certificates off the ship. I prefer to leave everything locked in the safe and just have our S&S cards. Will this be accepted to reboard and get through customs? In particular Cozumel since that was brought up on that post and we are going there. Is there something different with that port as opposed to the others? I just want to be prepared.

Depends on the port you are visiting. Some ports will ask for both ID and S&S card and how the port is set up. Example if you are going to visit the Carnival's private island then no need. St. Thomas, if I'm not mistaken, when you leave the ship you walk through a gate and then to the port where stores are, etc. You will need some sort of ID to re-enter the gated area to get back on the ship. There are signs stating ID is required.......

I saw this post, too! We've never taken anything and never had an issue.

Sounds like things have changed.

We cruised on RCCL last year, so it's been a couple of years since we've been on Carnival.

I guess we'll bring our Drivers License's with us, because I am not comfortable bringing my passport off the ship.

Groan.

Not being mean.....but why would you leave the ship without some sort of ID in a foreign country? What if you lose your S&S card?......just a question.......as a Canadian I feel more comfortable bringing my passport into the ports......

Not being mean.....but why would you leave the ship without some sort of ID in a foreign country? What if you lose your S&S card?......just a question.......as a Canadian I feel more comfortable bringing my passport into the ports......

(y)

In Mexico the authorities can ask for an ID at any time so I would bring an official ID. I have been to Cozumel many times- sometimes they check the ID sometimes they do not. I would not want to be caught without an ID on the day they decide to check.

I do believe that you have to have a photo id with you for most ports. Hence, your S&S card and drivers license with suffice.

Now here is where you will get all different opinions and some people will even argue this. I always take my passport with me. Let's just say for some reason (could be medical emergency, too drunk and miss the boat, etc), you are stuck on that Island or port. A passport will make it easier to get back into the US if and when you have to.

Sure, a drivers license will suffice, but much easier with a passport. If you have to carry one or the other, might as well be the passport, provided you have one.

Edited by HawkIVette

We always take a photo I.d. Usually our drivers license. In addition, we bring COPIES of our passports, just in case something were to happen while in port, we would have an easier time getting back.

We wore our S&S card on a lanyard so we wouldn't lose it. And if we by any chance put it down, it would be in the same bag we would be our ID in it, so regardless, they'd still both be lost together.......

What about the children? They don't have driver's license.......I just have their birth certificate. This is only our 2nd trip since 2011 (first one out of the country) so the price of the passport just isn't worth it to us. Besides, we sail in 3 days so getting a passport just isn't feasible. I will bring a driver license off the boat with us to each place. Thank you!

If you're concerned about bringing the original.....maybe a photocopy?

When I was Oasis 4 years ago, they made an announcement that we needed to bring ID. And if we were not American, they said to bring our passports........

Wearing your S&S card on a lanyard around your neck identifies you as a tourist and may make you more of a mark for thieves. I usually bring my passport and I have a photo of my passport on my phone. I've never needed it (yet). Getting stuck on the a foreign country without your passport could be problematic.

Bill T

What about the children? They don't have driver's license.......I just have their birth certificate. This is only our 2nd trip since 2011 (first one out of the country) so the price of the passport just isn't worth it to us. Besides, we sail in 3 days so getting a passport just isn't feasible. I will bring a driver license off the boat with us to each place. Thank you!

Children under 16 only need their cruise card.

Your drivers licence will work fine as your Government issued photo ID.

Enjoy your cruise! :D

After 47 cruises, we have always had to have a gov't issued ID to get back on the ship no matter which cruise line you are sailing. This is not a cruise line rule but the country you are visiting mandate. We have only sailed to the Caribbean and Mexico so Drivers License have always worked, not sure about European cruises

To a thief a photo copy of your Passport is good enough for them to steal your identity or make a forgery, but to foreign officials it is completely worthless as it is not an official ID. To the US Consulate (if you can even get to one as they are not on ever island) a copy (or even a Passport Card) will help by acting as proof you had all the correct paperwork in the first place to have a Passport. But unless you have a local police report stating the Passport was stolen or damaged beyond use by an accident, you will still be on the hook for all of the expenses of an internationally expedited new passport from the Department of State to be able to get home.

With that said most Caribbean islands and Mexican ports that cruise ships stop at do not require you to carry a passport, for persons 16 and older any US government issued picture ID (DL, Driver's permit, Military or military dependents ID, school ID) that matches the name on the S&S (A-pass/Seapass) card will do. Children 15 and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian once beyond the port gates, not ID or BC is required, but official might ask which adults the child/young teen is with.

If you never leave the gated portion of the port only your S&S (A-pass/Seapass) card is needed to get back on the ship. KIM some ports like St Thomas and Cozumel the "Customs" gate is before the shopping plaza or where the tour pick-up, so you essentially are restricted to the dock area, if you leave your picture ID on the ship. Other ports like Grand Turk and Mahogany Bay the secured ported area is expansive including shops, restaurants and beaches &/or a pool. Some ports allow if you are on a ship's sponsored excursion that only the ship's card is needed on others a guard may board the bus/van/boat and ask for ID before allowing you to get off to go back to your ship.

because I am not comfortable bringing my passport off the ship.

If you're not comfortable bringing your passport off the ship (and use it for the purpose it was intended and the reason it was issued to you), why even bring it. Maybe you should just leave it at home in a safety deposit box. Or just return it to the State Department.

(If sarcasm is noted, it is intended)

Cozumel does require a government-issued photo ID (at least they did last May when we cruised with Carnival). The kids just need their S&S card to get on and off the ship (as will the adults, of course). Sometimes they will ask the kids their age, name, or birth date as a security measure. Hope you've gotten the info you were looking for! :) Enjoy your cruise!!

If you're not comfortable bringing your passport off the ship (and use it for the purpose it was intended and the reason it was issued to you), why even bring it. Maybe you should just leave it at home in a safety deposit box. Or just return it to the State Department.

(If sarcasm is noted, it is intended)

Why is the sarcasm even necessary? The previous poster is doing something differently than you, as is their right. If there is no requirement to carry the passport ashore many leave them onboard since the risk of actually needing them ashore is so low (and in the event they are needed the ship's staff can easily retrieve them and give them to the port agent).

Wearing your S&S card on a lanyard around your neck identifies you as a tourist and may make you more of a mark for thieves. I usually bring my passport and I have a photo of my passport on my phone. I've never needed it (yet). Getting stuck on the a foreign country without your passport could be problematic.

Bill T

The locals don't need to see a lanyard to identify someone as a tourist, we are quite easy to spot.:)