How is Alaska in September?

Caroldoll

It's the luck of the draw. We've done two September cruises between September 3 and September 10. On the first one, it was cool with light rain and drizzle most of the time. The second September cruise had mostly blue skies, little rain and temperatures in the high 60s and low 70s.

We did Labor Day week. It was gorgeous...rain in Ketchikan but it always does. Took a helicopter tour of the glacier fields around Juneau and the pilot said he'd never seen it that clear. But I guess you never know about weather anywhere.

Summer 2017 was the wettest one in recent memory according to the crew of the Mariner. The worst port was Skagway. We recognized that the rain was going to be horrible so we cancelled out excursion. Those that went out on excursions had a difficult experience. There was a landslide (due to the horrendous rain) which prevented buses, etc from returning to the ship. Passengers had to wait a long time for a boat to take them back to the ship since the road was blocked. Some of them stood in the rain for 3 hours and returned to the ship drenched. Note: This was late August/early September.

Not saying that this year will be the same but it could be!!!

We were on Regent's last cruise of the season. The weather was fine. Some of the wildlife wasn't as present except for the whales. The salmon in the stream were struggling. It was a little sad. We were the last ship of the season for Juneau. The town was empty and some of the shops and resturants were closed. It felt strange but not bad.

I have cruised Alaska over ten times and different times of the season.

One thing I learned is that history means nothing because weather is unpredictable.

September can be a rainy time of the year. Some years it is. For most of last September it was the opposite and weather was nice.

Less sun in September. That is fact.

Less ships and less children as the season is getting ready to come to a close. To me a positive.

Boredom is setting in. For some of the people working in Alaska who don't live there and even for crew members Alaska might be getting tiring so they might not be at their best.

My take is simple. If September works for your schedule go for it.

As to weather once again I will emphasize that ones past experience means nothing. Weather is very unpredictable and can even change within hours and one day can be very different from the next but just remember you won't know until you are there.

Love Alaska.

Keith